Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '91 - '96
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
sle3pychild
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sle3pychild
1995 jetta Gl III to vr6 swap

is it really worth it to swap my 2.0 Liter engine to a vr6???? if it is .. is it possible.. where can i buy an engine and what else would i need. transmission??? ect...

or should i just turbo out my 2.0 l engine for the money that imma spend on the vr6.. lata...
sle3pychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
Midnyte
AF Newbie

I'm not totally sure of the specifics for what you'd have to do. I know you'd have to swap computers for the engines. The mounts for the VR6 are build into the chasis, so you shouldn't have a problem there. Tranny- automatic or manual?

I've got a 96 VR6 for sale. It had 50k miles on it when the Jetta it was in got T-boned. Its block, heads, manifolds, ac compressor, ps pump, and alternator. I can get a hold of an maf if you need. Find out what you wanna do first (hint- you can stage II turbo the VR6 and have a 360 horse monstrosity that will demolish anything on the road..just and idea)

lates
Midnyte
Midnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
bobalobagous
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bobalobagous
I've been trying to figure out the same thing, turbo or swap. Apparently to do a swap you have replace a lot of things for the added weight, fuel consumption and just having a swap...meaning you have to put in vr6 suspension, gastank, ECU, harness, etc.
I think it's worth it to get a vr6, it's got a lot more potential than the 2.0(after forced induction, what else can you really do to it?). The only upside to a turbo 2.0 is that no one really has them, and vr6s are pretty common.
Do whatever you think is best, vr6 will end up being more money (I got quoted $8k from a shop, but that was for everything and pro done, you can do it cheaper), but 2.0 won't give as much results.
Hope I helped at all.
bobalobagous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
Re: 1995 jetta Gl III to vr6 swap

that's not an easy answer.
eip has great turbo kits for the 2.0, but you can keep the vr6 stock and outrun the turbo'd 2.0.
you can then stroke the vr6, turbo the vr6, stroke and turbo the vr6, etc. there's so much you can do.

or maybe you should consider a 1.8t swap. it'll bolt to your trans. that's a thought, huh.

a used 1.8t will set you back about 3k, but it's a great alternative. chip and exhaust, and you're at 200+hp. not bad. cheaper than a vr6 swap.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
bobalobagous
AF Newbie

I was really looking at it from my point of view when i said that. Once i choose one of those routes i'm going to be broke for a while and then slowly be able to mod things. It's really easy to say "turbo a vr6", but it's a swap and a turbo kit, thousands of dollars a normal person doesn't have. I understand where you're coming from, but i would much rather have a 50K mile vr6 than a 100k+ 2.0 with a turbo. Plus the fact that i really do believe there is no replacement for displacement kind of biases me.
I do like the idea of putting a 1.8t into the car, but are you sure it will bolt up? Keep in mind we are talking about 3rd generation Jettas.
I'm not trying to be a dick with all this, i just don't know any other way to say it.
If you do want to turbo, ATP also has a great kit, and if you don't want to spend $2500+ on it, you can go on ebay and get a kit from some company that uses garrets in their kits, everything minus an intercooler for $1200, it will work.
Write back because i'm running out of ideas to help my jetta out.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

on www.overboost.com, there was a guy who dropped a 1.8t into an mk2 golf, and used the jetta a20 trans. it'll bolt up. my friend has a s/c'd 97 2.0, and is considering the 1.8t swap as well.

http://overboost.com/story.asp?id=1015
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:42 PM   #7
spasticone
AF Regular

Consider other turbos. I used an audi 5 cyl turbo car as a doner and swaped all turbo parts into my jetta. Manifolds would be your only real problem.

one word of advice. TUNING. its a pain on a turbo crossflow head car.
spasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:09 PM   #8
bobalobagous
AF Newbie

i want to kick myself in the balls for getting a 2.0 every time i try to think of a way to make my car faster or read stuff like this
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
mkryszczynski
AF Newbie

i have a 95 jetta Gl III and i want to do an engine/transmission swap for a 1996 vr6 from a passat. is it worth the work? and what would i have to do to get it running in the jetta
mkryszczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Dubluv92
AF Newbie

Hey I have a 95 Jetta and I have between thinking of doing the 1.8t swap as well. But from which year and model do I have to get the engine from? And will I need to change anything else for the engine to work properly? I have a 2.0 manual. Also where is the best place to look for a 1.8t engine?
Dubluv92 is offline   Reply With Quote