Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Kdesigns
AF Newbie

Can changing tire size affect breaks?

I bought a 2012 Mazda CX-9 with 22" aftermarket wheels and had them changed back to stock 18" wheels (standard Touring size.) Now the brakes are harder to press and roll a little after stopping. If I push down all the way I hear a hissing noise. Also, if I can hear a faint air letting out noise when I break. From what I've read could be break booster? But wondering if it could be something they did when changing to new wheels / tire size. Thanks
Kdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Can changing tire size affect breaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdesigns View Post
I bought a 2012 Mazda CX-9 with 22" aftermarket wheels and had them changed back to stock 18" wheels (standard Touring size.) Now the brakes are harder to press and roll a little after stopping. If I push down all the way I hear a hissing noise. Also, if I can hear a faint air letting out noise when I break. From what I've read could be break booster? But wondering if it could be something they did when changing to new wheels / tire size. Thanks
Welcome to AF!

Changing from the 22"s back to 18"s would not change the pedal feel, If anything is should stop better without the extra mass from bigger wheels and tires. I doubt they did anything to affect the brake pedal. The noise you are describing does sound like a brake booster vacuum leak. It will result in a harder brake pedal feel.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmtech1 For This Useful Post:
Kdesigns (07-15-2016)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > General Discussion