Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
1972chevy
AF Newbie

Flame Exhaust

I want to put flame exhaust on my 1972 chevy truck. I've been restoring it and now that its drivable i want to put some nifty classic exhaust flames on it. Is there anyone out there that could give me instructions on having a kit that shoots flames without stalling or cutting off the ignition to my truck? I have been researching about fuel injected and i would like to know what the basic system like that does. And if it would be able to shoot while accelerating and not cut off my ignition.

Thanks in advance.
1972chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Flame Exhaust

In order to do this, you would have to introduce additional fresh air with additional atomized fuel into the exhaust pipe. (Exhaust gases would not have enough oxygen to support combustion.

How's this..... you use a 12-volt cordless leaf blower (hooked up to a switch on the dashboard). Use the power from the switch in place of the leaf blower's battery.

This leaf blower would suck air (not blow air) through a conventional float bowl-type carburetor (from a small car engine, or motorcycle, skidoo etc). The carb would be hooked up gravity-feed style to a small lawnmower-type gas tank.

Place big fart-can type exhaust tips on your tailpipes. Direct the leaf-blower air into the tips and use a conventional flame-thrower kit ignition system on the tips.

When you flip the switch, the leaf blower would power up, suck air through the carb. It would atomize the fuel and blow it out the back where the flame thrower ignitor would set it off.
Hopefully you would not blow-up your truck.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
1972chevy
AF Newbie

is that the only way? i read somewhere that you don't need all that stuff. this one person said that all i would need would be some braided gas line or something and run it to something so that it would redirect fuel to the tip and then spark it. plus the ominous undertone of "hope you dont blow your truck up" makes me want some other options.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
quick69gto
AF Regular

quick69gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick69gto View Post
I think the original poster knows of these kits; they will not do what he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972chevy View Post
is that the only way? i read somewhere that you don't need all that stuff. this one person said that all i would need would be some braided gas line or something and run it to something so that it would redirect fuel to the tip and then spark it. plus the ominous undertone of "hope you dont blow your truck up" makes me want some other options.
The smiley face should tell you I was kidding about that last part. However, any flame throwing is, imho, hazardous by nature. I certainly would not do it on my vehicle but that's just my personal taste.

Just introducing raw fuel into the tailpipe most likely will not work. The exhaust gases have no free oxygen to burn the fuel. The fuel would get sprayed all over the ground then ignite. You wouldn't be shooting flames, you would be shooting burning puddles, which would just burn the road.

My suggestion might not work either. It makes sense to me, but it depends on the available equipment.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
1972chevy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat View Post
I think the original poster knows of these kits; they will not do what he wants.

The smiley face should tell you I was kidding about that last part. However, any flame throwing is, imho, hazardous by nature. I certainly would not do it on my vehicle but that's just my personal taste.

Just introducing raw fuel into the tailpipe most likely will not work. The exhaust gases have no free oxygen to burn the fuel. The fuel would get sprayed all over the ground then ignite. You wouldn't be shooting flames, you would be shooting burning puddles, which would just burn the road.

My suggestion might not work either. It makes sense to me, but it depends on the available equipment.

yea that makes sense about burning puddles, but this is a place i found that this guy talked about making them: http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~31567

and also, how do the dragsters have flame exhaust like the kind i want where it doesn't stall anything and continues to burn while accelerating. and also to quick69, from what i hear, the autoloc kit actually destroys your engine faster than any other kit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars