Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
shaneruss
AF Newbie

Angry 2000 Grand Am cooling system problems

I will try to make a long(frustrating) story short. 2000 SE with 200k miles. Runs pretty good in general. Replaced LIM gaskets, thermostat, and water pump last year. My wife had some work done on it this year by a "real" mechanic and he again replaced the thermostat and water pump (which he said I put in backwards) and flushed the cooling system.
Have been having problems with the heater blowing cold air, lukewarm air, cold air until you are driving down the road, etc. This has been going on for a couple of months but it's only overheated once the entire time, just last week. All sounds like air pockets and I have become very familiar with getting them out. All runs fine for a few days then it happens again. The air pocket always seems to be in front of the thermostat, but the reservoir is always full. I pull the top hose, pour coolant into the hose till it stays full, reattach then fire it up and the heater works again engine temp stays at 200. Also replaced the cap on the reservoir.
I am confused as to how this keeps happening. I am thinking a small head gasket leak so she is burning some coolant(oil is clear) but the coolant in the reservoir is not draining into the radiator? possibly an air leak into the system at the thermostat housing? Like maybe when the coolant contracts after driving it pulls in air from that line attached to the housing? I will check the fitting at the housing the metal tubing and the hose from the reservoir, pull the hose from the res to the radiator and see if its clogged, and pray to the gods that it isn't a head gasket lol. I there anywhere else air could be getting into the system?
shaneruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2000 Grand Am cooling system problems

Well, you obviously have a leak somewhere, which is creating an airpocket....fact that it overheated, is not good.....

Tell your "real" mechanic, it is impossible to install a waterpump, or thermostat backwards in this engine.....

Have you put a coolant pressure tester on this?
for your sake, I hope it's external and not internal(like lower intake or head gaskets).....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
shaneruss
AF Newbie

I will pressure test the cooling system this weekend hopefully. The LIM gaskets were replaced last year, so I would hope thats not the problem. It really got wonky after I put the new reservoir cap on it, so maybe a functioning cap caused the other problems to really present themselves??
Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
shaneruss
AF Newbie

So if you didn't know...AutoZone sucks. I rented the pressure tester only cuz it was free. I knew before I left that it wasn't going to work even with the "but it has universal" adapters. The wife was with me so I HAD to rent it to show that I made the effort. I knew it wouldn't fit. My wife took my daughter into town today and said the heater blew cold air the whole time. When went out to check the fluid level and maybe bleed the system again I noticed the temp control was all the way in the blue which I think means cold???
Old 03-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yes unfortunately, you need two adapters....one goes "inside the neck to seal off the overflow tube hole....the other screws onto the top and the tester attaches to it.....

Did you move the temp control to hot? Does sound like it was in the cold position.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
shaneruss
AF Newbie

Yes I moved it and it pumped out the heat...sarcasm is the only way I can deal with this car any more. I will have to find a pressure tester with the adapters or take it to a garage and have it done. Last night when she drove it the heat was sporadic, going from hot to cold.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM