Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Smile Aftermarket exhaust on the Riv

So my stock mufflers finally decided to blow out on me at 226K miles... Man, they don't make them like they used to! LOL

Actually I couldn't wait for them to go so I could finally add a little more style and nicer sound to the Riv. I have had good luck with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers in the past, so I ordered a set of them (p/n 17730) along with some angle-cut 3" Flowmaster stainless tips (p/n 15360). Getting them installed on Friday so I'll have to do some before and after shots in my gallery.

I'll also report my findings on the tone of the exhaust and whether I see any performance gains. Anyone else here install performance mufflers on their later model Riv with the SC 3800? Just curious...

'08 Chevy HHR SS, Victory Red, 5 spd. 2.0L Turbo, 52K mi.
'98 Buick Riviera, Black, 3.8L Super-Charged, 228K mi.
'98 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.7 Vortec, Black 241K mi.
'70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, 4spd 200k+ mi., in process restoration
'10 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 11K mi.

sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Re: Aftermarket exhaust on the Riv

Well, after numerous attenpt to upload pictures on my gallery here in AF I gave up. Looks like this no longer works? Now the pic in my signiture is gone too!

I uploaded the before pics and one shot of the new mufflers and tips (before install) on a differnt site and linked them here.... while I patiently wait for Friday to arrive... I can't wait to hear the difference and check out the new look!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Is there any way you could cut off the original tail pipes, refinish the outlets (tips), then weld or clamp them back on? I think the original exhaust tips are a signature feature worth preserving.

Please describe the change in sound from the new mufflers. Personally I'd like a more `deep pipe´ tone, but not too hotrod-ish.

-edwinn
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Well, I did think about saving the existing tips, but they were pretty rough. I had wire brushed, sanded and high-temp painted them a couple years back but they never looked like stainless tips even from the day I bought the car. I shopped though hundreds of aftermarket tip, including oval shapes but nothing I liked...

I agree that the oval tips are kind of a signature look, but I was actually looking to change the look to make it look more aggressive and personalize it somewhat. Personally, I think these new tips look fantastic!

Here is a couple shots of the after affects... The mufflers sound great, not too loud, just a low gurgle at idle and a little snarl when you nail the gas.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucegoose View Post
Well, I did think about saving the existing tips, but they were pretty rough. I had wire brushed, sanded and high-temp painted them a couple years back but they never looked like stainless tips even from the day I bought the car. I shopped though hundreds of aftermarket tip, including oval shapes but nothing I liked. I agree that the oval tips are kind of a signature look, but I was actually looking to change the look to make it look more aggressive and personalize it somewhat. Personally, I think these new tips look fantastic! The mufflers sound great, not too loud, just a low gurgle at idle and a little snarl when you nail the gas.
My Riv is white and the exhaust tips are BLACK as is the lower rear bumper apron. They're in good shape but getting cruddy and have a touch of rust forming at the trailing edge of the ovals. It would be fairly easy to scrub and touch them up. They don't have to be prefect, just BLACK with no rust!! There's some carbon around the outlets anyway. It looks like you had the mufflers welded in place? How difficult was it to disconnect the old pipes? That system is all welded, isn't it?

-edwinn
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinn View Post
My Riv is white and the exhaust tips are BLACK as is the lower rear bumper apron. They're in good shape but getting cruddy and have a touch of rust forming at the trailing edge of the ovals. It would be fairly easy to scrub and touch them up. They don't have to be prefect, just BLACK with no rust!! There's some carbon around the outlets anyway. It looks like you had the mufflers welded in place? How difficult was it to disconnect the old pipes? That system is all welded, isn't it?

-edwinn
Yes, mine were painted flat black and quite cruddy also. I just didn't like that look, but with white it would be better.

The shop I had do the work just sawed the old pipes apart, salvaging the tailpipe and welding it all back together. He said it was no problem at all and charged me just $75 for the job!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucegoose View Post
Yes, mine were painted flat black and quite cruddy also. I just didn't like that look, but with white it would be better. The shop I had do the work just sawed the old pipes apart, salvaging the tailpipe and welding it all back together. He said it was no problem at all and charged me just $75 for the job!
Maybe there's someone around here that could do a job like that and not charge 500 bucks.

Turns out that I though the pipes were black, but getting under there with a flash, they are a contemporary crud color. The outlet trailing edges are starting to rust. Here are some views:

In the past two weeks I bought some stuff called Spray 9. It's time to get under there and de-crud and do some spot painting. Also some derusting!! (or deox as we say.)

Do you think it's worthwhile to spray-paint the mufflers where they are rusted to extend the life? What paint to use?

-ed

1997 Buick Riviera, white with black trim, grey aluminum wheels, grey interior, 114,000 miles.

Last edited by edwinn; 05-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Yes, I think it definitely helps prolong the rust and it sure looks a lot nicer when you can see the mufflers from the rear like ours.

I have used this product called POR-20 for years. The stuff is unreal for heat resistance! I brushed it on my Dynomax mufflers on my Eldorado and they looked like new yet the day I sold it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sprucegoose For This Useful Post:
edwinn (06-07-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Fast forward almost two years. Dave no longer owns his Riv but we're still good buds. He sold his shop manuals to me. What a deal!!

Second Annual Riviera muffler/exhaust spray painting

This post is to present photos of the second annual Riviera muffler/exhaust spray paint job. Last year in March, I scrubbed the crud off the mufflers and tips, then sprayed them with Flat Black Rustoleum. Should have done that a LONG time ago!! See previous photos of rust eating away at the exhaust components.

Here are some AFTER shots from today. No photo flash used for #1 pic. Not a perfect job but keeps the rust in check.

Hit the trunk floor pan, pipe split and frame too.

View of driver-side muffler and tip/outlet with flat black paint (camera flash used).

Close-up of tip with flat black paint (camera flash used).

Output end of passenger-side muffler with flat black paint. Rust there is pretty well covered!!

Original passenger-side outlet with Flat Black Rustoleum spray paint applied.

You'll see water droplets, and that's from washing the black over-spray dust from the car body. Be ware that you'll either need to cover her, or wash entire vehicle afterward to remove over-spray particulate.

Now that should hold for another year.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 06-15-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Back to the exhaust preservation task!!

Here is the thread started by a good GM bud Dave from Wisconsin who sold me his Shop Manuals after he sold his black Riviera. I'm resurrecting this because it's easier than going over the history again.

I'm doing everything I can to preserve the ORIGINAL exhaust at 132,250 miles and 16-1/2 years from manufacture. It wasn't until 2011 that I got around to spraying some paint on the mufflers!! Should have done that YEARS AGO but wasn't paying attention. I've pretty sure the mufflers are "far enough back" so they stay relatively cool. No paint has come off or burned due to heat back there!

This is an annual thing now.

Photos of condition on March 10th, 2013

Extreme close-ups.... Not as bad as it looks!

The orange hue is from the sun reflecting off the cardboard which I'm laying on!!

Not too bad really

Figure I'll hit them with a wire brush to remove "rust and crust", and brush on some semi-gloss Paint directly into the seams. When the time comes for NEW mufflers.. well I want the original tail pipes and flairs preserved! Is that possible? Weld them or use clamps?

What shop has the skills today of mechanics in the past.. to weld pipes together and aligned properly?

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 03-31-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

These photos are from yesterday when winter weather had subsided enough to paint in the garage. Not sure how many times the back end of the exhaust has been painted, probably the third or fourth time since 2010. Need to look back at the records. I'm really keeping an eye on it to hold off the day when the Riv will need new mufflers.

Three different size and stiffness wire brushes were used to prep, and isopropyl alcohol to wipe down. Here you can see gloss black Rustoleum brushed on. Not bad at all. Came out better than expected. The pipes aren't hot enough that far back so Rustoleum holds up well.

Everything from the split, to the BACK of the tips was coated, except for the 'impossible to reach' areas on top where rust wasn't as bad or not a problem. Next I plan to paint the trunk pan/spare tire well again with flat white Rustoleum in a 1/2 pint can. Here are a couple side views of the driver-side pipe.

An end view.. oops missed a spot!!

Up to the back of the tips.... hey look a drain hole.

This is a good topic, me thinks for Riviera exhaust awareness. I regret not painting it YEARS earlier.

Fool-hearty you say? Well it was a fun and enjoyable `garage guy´ Saturday afternoon... and a few beers after.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 03-31-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 141,110 miles

I feel bad about hijacking this thread, but Dave and I are buds. When he sold his Riv, I bought his Shop Manuals! They were a HUGE help in keeping the Riv long-haul travel ready. Have stumbled on some Walker mufflers at Pep Boys Automotive yesterday (over in the next county) and checked them out online this morning. See the following:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wl...iew/make/buick

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wl...iew/make/buick

Here are the images:

What do you think of those babies!!

I'd like to see how close the TIPS (outlets) match OE. They are a defining feature of the G-Platform.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 02-04-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Called Tenneco/Walker yesterday to find out about their tailpipe outlets, tips or "spouts" as they call them, on the end of each tailpipe. The Tenneco Rep said the tips are open on the front end. Here's an outline drawing that he sent via email attach..

I'd like to see more detail on how these components are made. Are they two sleeves wrapped around each other and the pipes.. then welded? Is it worth re-using the original tips?

He also said the system has to be replaced up to the resonator because the components aren't designed to 'clamp-up' to the stock pipes. I think a shop with a welder could assemble about ANY pipes.. just a matter of how straight and aligned they come out.

Rubber hangers

Walker didn't have any rubber hangers for the muffler assys. Next we'll have to see if GM has them available.

-Ed

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera