Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
MonteCarlo85SS
AF Newbie

1995 Buick Riviera Spark Plug Change

I own a 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged with 3800 motor.I recently went to do a tune up and while I was changing the spark plugs discovered it was impossible to gain access to the 3 rear plugs along the firewall.My question is how do you get to them? I went under the car with a light and found there was limited access around the cat converter,but its still pretty difficult gaining any clearance.Any suggestions? someone told me the engine has to be rocked forward at an angle....but I definitly dont want to have to do this just to get to 3 spark plugs.

Thanks
MonteCarlo85SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Re: 1995 Buick Riviera Spark Plug Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo85SS View Post
I own a 1995 Buick Riviera Supercharged with 3800 motor.I recently went to do a tune up and while I was changing the spark plugs discovered it was impossible to gain access to the 3 rear plugs along the firewall.My question is how do you get to them? I went under the car with a light and found there was limited access around the cat converter,but its still pretty difficult gaining any clearance.Any suggestions? someone told me the engine has to be rocked forward at an angle....but I definitely don't want to have to do this just to get to 3 spark plugs.

Thanks
I'd like to know what's involved with doing this too!!

-edwinn
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
sprucegoose
AF Regular

I've changed mine twice already, and I did it from underneath for those back ones you talked about. It is a PIA to do, but a long extention and I believe a universal joint on one of them is necessary if I remember right.

I have more problems gettting the boot off the old plugs than anything else. If you plan on keeping it for a while I'd recommend swabbing a little dielectric grease in there when popping them back on.

'08 Chevy HHR SS, Victory Red, 5 spd. 2.0L Turbo, 52K mi.
'98 Buick Riviera, Black, 3.8L Super-Charged, 228K mi.
'98 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.7 Vortec, Black 241K mi.
'70 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400, 4spd 200k+ mi., in process restoration
'10 Dodge Grand Caravan SE, 11K mi.

sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucegoose View Post
I've changed mine twice already, and I did it from underneath for those back ones you talked about. It is a PIA to do, but a long extension and I believe a universal joint on one of them is necessary if I remember right.

I have more problems getting the boot off the old plugs than anything else. If you plan on keeping it for a while I'd recommend swabbing a little dielectric grease in there when popping them back on.
A GM dealer told me about tipping the engine, and about loosening the intake plenum. First time I stopped in there, it was 200 bucks to change the plugs. A couple days later the price jumped to ~450. The hell is with that!

It might be a good idea to change plugs after 13 years and 115,000 miles? The wires are in good shape since I've kept 'em free of grease and dirt (except the far back ones.) Have also hit them with Armour-All to keep them from dry rotting. The boots look to be getting a bit cruddy. Haven't dared to pull the wires off the plugs. Thinking it would be best to change wires and plugs before long.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 10-24-2013 at 07:05 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Wow, even $200 is a lot to change the plugs! It only took me a little more than an hour. 2nd time took me about 2, but I changed the wires at that time (about 200K mi.)

Yes, at 115K those are overdue. Even the new iridnium (spelling?) plugs are only good to about 80K in my book.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucegoose View Post
Wow, even $200 is a lot to change the plugs! It only took me a little more than an hour. 2nd time took me about 2, but I changed the wires at that time (about 200K mi.) Yes, at 115K those are overdue. Even the new iridium plugs are only good to about 80K in my book.
Looking back over the price quotes from 2007, the $200 was to change the wires only. The more recent quote for plugs and wires installed was around $435. I've mapped out and sketched where the wires go. Probably before winter I'll be looking to have this done. How did you get to the back plugs again? Do you have a lift? I've got plenty of socket wrench extensions and U-joints, etc. but cannot afford to have the vehicle out of service for more than a day or two.

-ed
Old 07-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
sprucegoose
AF Regular

Ed,

When I did mine I just pulled the vehicle up on car ramps and slid under with a creeper to get at some of the back ones. I think the one on the pass. side in the back you can get at from top. It seems to me I used a long 12" extension and perhaps another 4" with a universal joint on it.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

This post is now over two years old.. and many of the comments were repeated in a recent topic "97 Riv - spark plugs and wires."

Was able to get all of the plug wires off (first the front three, then the back three a few days later) without difficulty, and having relatively thin forearms, found I could reach in back of the engine and get two hands on each plug wire/boot. Without that capability it would have been much more difficult.

IMHO it's important to have good lighting to work effectively. Have purchased a Craftsman model no. 73904 rechargeable 35-LED worklight. That means no cord and light weight in a plastic form. It's also handy to have a telescoping and pivoting mirror to view the rear plugs. The "mirror on a stick" that I used is a "Professional" type with a LONG handle and cushion grip... meaning you can almost lay it over the engine in various ways so it will stay put. All that's needed are a series of ratchet extensions and U-joints. You could even gang extensions of different drive sized, i.e. 3/8" and 1/2" sockets.

It might even possible to get a 3/8" drive ratchet and deepwell plug socket directly on the back ones, but haven't tried it yet!!

Here's a photo taken roughly over the Power Steering Pump.. as a reminder that #6 wire goes in FRONT of the manifold sensor.

There's a heavy steel bracket in the foreground (out of focus) that's probably used to hoist the engine out. It's definitely in the way, but haven't looked into removing it.

So... after going through an intense plug wire inspection and revitalization (washed, juiced and gunked) I believe it would be possible to change the back three plugs here in the garage from above with the right tools. Damn if my arms don't fit back there.

Thinking logically.. it would have been better if I had tried to get a plug socket on each of the back three plugs and attempted to apply torque [to them] last week. The scope of activities that day wasn't so broad however.

Cylinder #6 (back, driver side) is the hardest to reach for sure.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 06-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Lightbulb Re: 1995 Buick Riviera Spark Plug Change

Sunday morning and already had three mugs of coffee so I'm bouncing around the garage and workroom.

There are several combinations of socket and ratchet wrench that will likely work. Have been asking Service Departments and mechanics about changing the plugs for years, and was behind the motor last week so it's time to Go For It.

Here's a suggestions..

3/8" drive plug socket and U-joint, reduction to 1/4" drive T-bar - that's the ticket!!!

Yep.. am confident the small compact setup above will fit behind the engine and crack the plugs loose, provided you can reach in there. If need be the socket could go on first.. then snap the T-bar into it. Could always put on a work glove for some extra grip and use your calibrated hand torque!!

Ok.. will chill now - HTH

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 10-22-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: removed redundant photos
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Best thing to have is a double ball swivel set up.......Snap on has a spark plug socket with a ball swivel....add another ball swivel to it with a long extension and you can get a lot of rear plugs on GM cars.....just about every GM mechanic has this setup......
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

New plugs installed

Finally got around to replacing the spark plugs in the 1997 Riviera after 17 years (it was built in late 1996) and 139,700 miles. There wasn't any difficulty to report. The whole job took 2 hr, 40 mins on a Sunday afternoon and that included getting out tools and portable compressor. It helped a LOT to have explored the plug wires last year, making sure the wires (boots) would come off and each REAR plug could be reached with both hands. Some of you bad boys with husky arms may not be able to get in there, but I can get two hands on each plug. Way in the back-left corner by the master cylinder is plug #6. It's a tight area but still reachable.

Here's a new ACDelco #41-101 Iridium plug (gap 0.060") next to an original AC #41-921.

Another photo of an original plug.

Debris around plugs

I quickly learned by inspecting the head with a pivoting extension mirror to blow crud away with compressor BEFORE removing a plug!

Plug wrenches

The socket wrenches used for the job are Sears Craftsman. They are 3/8" drive except for a reducer down to 1/4" drive speed bar or T-handle. The breaker or flex handle with 3" extension was used to cracking em' loose. The speed bar with U-joint was used for spinning the plugs out, and back into the heads. The torque wrench with 3" extension (and U-joint for a couple rear plugs) was used to tighten. The spec is 11 ft-lbs.

This photo shows the torque wrench with U-joint. The U-joint could have been at the other 'socket-end' of the extension for stability I suppose.

Aft plugs

Here are pics of the REAR plug areas. The shot below is looking to the left of the aft engine cover bracket where #4 is located. You can see #2 wire is disconnected and laid-up before removing plug #2 which is to the left and behind in the photo. I undid the triple plug-wire clamp after taking photo for easier access.

The next shot has the the 3/8" drive Plug Socket with a 3" extension and U-joint on plug #6. Fortunately a U-joint isn't needed on the flex handle. You can easily get the torque wrench on the socket drive assy below from the LEFT and tighten. BTW, no motor tilting or lifting was needed, and going in from below was nearly impossible for me.

Wrap-up

It helps to spend an afternoon checking your 'reach' to each of the rear plugs, and checking whether the wire 'boots' can be twisted and pulled off without difficulty. I took the time (last year) to inspect every sq cm of each wire for cuts, burns or deterioration and thoroughly reconditioned / degreased them. I decided NEW wires weren't needed yet after inspecting and deoxing the 'contacts' inside each boot. All boots went back on with a muffled 'pop' sound like they snapped onto the plug connectors.

You might have difficulty reaching #4 and #6 if you have BIG arms. I was able to tighten all six plugs with the torque wrench and 3" extension, and in two cases a U-joint. Despite advice from local shops, I didn't warm-up the motor first.. didn't put anti-seize on the threads.. and didn't put dielectric grease inside the plug boots. The reason for this is the FRONT boots collected black dirt with grease inside. Will have to go back in there, possibly in the next week or so, and apply the right 'goop' and maybe install new wires!

How did it run?

I can honestly report the engine was more responsive and 'zippier'.. and it idled as smooth as a ladies behind!

It was a fun job and the plugs only cost 36 bucks. Please comment or correct, as I'm NOT a pro by any means.

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 10-24-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 10-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Tech II
AF Fanatic

ED, I can't believe you reused the wires(original?)......

The easiest tool to get those rear plugs out, is a double ball swivel.....takes less than an hour to do a tuneup.....

Those wires can be a bear, sometimes, as they "bake" onto the porcelain of the plugs......when I can't break them free(even if I break them free, but they come off hard, I replace them, because I can guarantee they will be a problem down the road), I just take a long pry bar and hammer and snap the top of the plug off with the wire......blow out the debris and use the double ball swivel to remove the hex part of the plug.....I use never-seize on the threads....
Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
moestippich
AF Newbie

You guys make it seem so complicated. I have a 97 riviera 3800 series sc (same thing as the 95) and I can reach all my bac plugs from the passenger side by just reaching my arm in there between the engine and firewall. You can't see what you're doing in there, so you just have to feel your way around. No jacks. No crawling under the car. Don't need to remove anything.
moestippich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #14
Tech II
AF Fanatic

This is an old post......but as I stated before, the hardest part is getting the wires off....sometimes it's hard to twist them off with a lack of room.....

As for the plugs, a double ball swivel setup gets them out easily from the top.....Ed used a double universal, which is ok, but not as "smooth", because of angles...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera