Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
tgaffney
AF Newbie

1999 chevy express no start problem

I have had a problem that I have not solved yet. I tried starting my 1999 chevy express 3500 w/5.7 and got one click and nothing. I turned headlights on and tried again. Headlights go out, gauges "jump" way right (and back) and still nothing. The headlights will not go back on again until I wait around 45 minutes or so. I replaced the solenoid on the starter, same results. Replaced the starter (after bench testing), still nothing. When I try to start now, headlights go out, buzzer goes on (door open and key in), gauges jump. I turn key off (and take out) but buzzer continues with dome light faintly lite. Turning headlights to running lights turns off buzzer. I also tried a new battery with same results. Replaced starter relay with one from another vehicle but again, same results. I'm lost. I have visually inspected cables to and from battery. Everything looks good. Any suggestions as to what to test/replace next? Just recently removed the ABS unit and replaced two brake lines but that was about two weeks before this problem.
tgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 1999 chevy express no start problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaffney View Post
I have had a problem that I have not solved yet. I tried starting my 1999 chevy express 3500 w/5.7 and got one click and nothing. I turned headlights on and tried again. Headlights go out, gauges "jump" way right (and back) and still nothing. The headlights will not go back on again until I wait around 45 minutes or so. I replaced the solenoid on the starter, same results. Replaced the starter (after bench testing), still nothing. When I try to start now, headlights go out, buzzer goes on (door open and key in), gauges jump. I turn key off (and take out) but buzzer continues with dome light faintly lite. Turning headlights to running lights turns off buzzer. I also tried a new battery with same results. Replaced starter relay with one from another vehicle but again, same results. I'm lost. I have visually inspected cables to and from battery. Everything looks good. Any suggestions as to what to test/replace next? Just recently removed the ABS unit and replaced two brake lines but that was about two weeks before this problem.
If head lights are going out when you hit start..
You are losing voltage or ground some place.
First make sure battery is up to full voltage 13.6 volts.
Make sure battery terminal ends are clean and good.
Then check where it is losing voltage.
Hook volt meter or test light ground on battery neg ground and the post wire to volt meter and turn on lights and heater blower and start watching for power lose from battery to fuse box.
And do not forget to check ground from battery to engine and body.
Check all stuff in fuse box for power lose.
Let us know how that goes.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
javedjee77
AF Newbie

This car is very useful, if it has no starting problem
Old 08-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

No good if no start.
So you need to check it out to find out why no start.
Remember Proper testing and checking out
Let us know what you find.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van