Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
j007klein
AF Newbie

Electrical gremlin - dome/map light & power windows

I've got a '01 Sable.... Started off that one morning when I unlocked the car with the remote, the dome light didn't come on. I got in and tried to turn it on with the dash switch but nothing happened. I checked the map lights and they were dead as well. By the time I got to work they were working. Started off this problem was very sparatic, but recently it's getting more common... about every other morning or so.

I have isolated the cause to somewhere in the driver's side kick/dash area. What I did was one morning when they didn't come on using the remote, when I got in I turned on the driver's map light before I took off. After a block or two (radio and AC off to minimize noise) I heard a click from the lower left dash area and the light came on.

This past Sunday morning when we got in the car for church, again the dome didn't come on. Since the sun had been up for a few hours the interior was pretty warm so I tried to lower the windows to help the AC cool things off but none of them worked. Again after a block or so, the dome kicked on and the windows also started working. It's happend again a couple more times this week.

My question is whether there is an electrical controller located in the kick panel/LH dash area?

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!!!

JOE
j007klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
vicv
AF Regular

Re: Electrical gremlin - dome/map light & power windows

Funny you write about this, it is happening to my wife's 02 Taurus. I'm thinking it is a relay behind dash driver's side. Will be looking into it tomorrow. Will let you know if I find anything.
vicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
taillight
AF Enthusiast

Check the electrical plugs in the firewall for loose or corrossion.
taillight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
vicv
AF Regular

Haven't been able to replicate the problem to see if what I do helps any. Gave the connections the out-in wiggle routine. They looked OK, we'll see.
vicv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
j007klein
AF Newbie

Well this morning I drove for over twenty minutes before the circuit finally "clicked in". I was kinda hoping it would fail so I could take it in for service/repair, but I know as long as it's sparatic IT WON'T HAPPEN WHILE IT'S IN THE DEALERS SERVICE DEPARTMENT and I definately don't want to spend my days off sitting in the waiting area!!!

Thanks to all for your help!!
j007klein is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Sable