Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 02:49 PM   #16
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
cool, thanks, I wanna do the body design and engine design, I'm still deciding, I kinda wanna develop alternative fuels for vegicles also.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 10:47 PM   #17
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

OMG! Hermunn123, You and I are almost identical in career interests. CraigFL in a few years I will have to talk to you more in depth about this because I want to do sort of what you did. This thread is exactly what I need. Okay here goes. I want to work in the field of either Powerplant or Body Design. My artistic can be tuned I was once better than I am now. I have exceptional motor skills and well, it is qutie steering but a few nights ago I was up till' 1:30am building a winch mechanism out of K'nex (A Legoish type building Toy) I love working with tools on the other hand, I am constantly trying to outdue my self I need serious guidance as to where I should go. It's a bit different for me however, I live in Canada, There aren't as many options for me and I really want to get a job overseas. I don't know if Anybody here can help me. I'm looking for a Path in Either Aerodynamics/ Powerplant or Materials. I'd appreciate it a lot if you could helkp CraigFL, you are well educated and probably have an Idea as to what I am looking for. I am thankful for your advice regarding both Mechanical and Electrical fields and the Buisness aspects of things.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 10:50 PM   #18
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Oh, sorry I forgot to check some stuff in that last post, I'm tired. I meant to say that my Artistic Talent can be tuned, that it wasn't quite a steering Mechanism but../ and that I repeated myself a few times in there. My schedule is very off right now.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
I'd've
Quote:
Old 08-05-2001, 09:20 AM   #19
MaxRX7
AF Enthusiast

one more semester and I'll get my degree

in electrical engineering. I would like to get into the automotive field as well. :flash:
Old 08-13-2001, 10:12 PM   #20
olds88
AF Enthusiast

im not trying to affend any one her but the way most of the new cars are desined and built the engineris dont have a fucking clue on how to put a car together. i curently work at a chrysler dealer were i see the latest clusterfuckmobiles from chrysler for example the pt cruser the engine compartment is of a spare tire compartment. most engineres dont have servis in mind when desing a vhical or its componets. another example is the the cadilac northstar were the starter is under the friggin intake manifold. please al of u whom wish to become enginerers i beg of you take some cosideration on how the parts will interact and be installed not just the part itself. if the all the engineres picked up a wrench in there lives the cars would be designed and built much better. agian im sorry if a affended any one

what is the world coming to???
olds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:44 PM   #21
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
don't worry, i wasn't offended. but dude, do you know how to spell?? that was hilarious to read... "engineris" hahaha. "enginerers" funny stuff....

i'l tri to desin a kar 2 ur standerds

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 12:05 AM   #22
olds88
AF Enthusiast

HEY just because i own a computer doesnt mean i can type proporly/ and for the record i cannot spell worth a shit!
but if your car dont start in the morning let me know that i can do well

Old 08-14-2001, 12:09 AM   #23
olds88
AF Enthusiast

besides i got a c in english last semester so please off

Old 08-14-2001, 02:58 AM   #24
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
Yea, I work on my cars, as well as others, so I would design a engine so people can fix it them selves.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 08:45 PM   #25
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

I'd make sure that service is possible, I know exactly what you mean. However, some parts might need to be placed like that in order for it to fit in the body, If you make body alterations, the car might look really bad. Engines are all plastics and computers anyways, I'd hate to have to take one apart.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
I'd've
Quote:
Old 08-15-2001, 08:51 PM   #26
olds88
AF Enthusiast

well service is always posible but it is geting to the point were you have to pull the engine to change a exaust manifold/ or the part is accesable but their is one bolt located just right were you canot acces it . im not trying to bitch its just that i feel the modern engineering is for the birds.

Old 08-16-2001, 06:58 AM   #27
CraigFL
AF Regular

Speaking from experience....

It's not often the engineer that makes the decision about the placement of these "unserviceable" items. While it's true that a lot of engineers don't know how to service the cars they design, most decisions are left to the "team". I say "team" because products like cars than span across many different engineering disciplines involve a group of people that are responsible -- including sales and marketing . Some members of that group may have more say or power and can compromise serviceability for other things which they feel are important like styling. In any case, compromises must be made because of all the things that go into producing a car. And of course there are always errors made both in design, production and tooling that cause bad situations also.
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 01:20 PM   #28
Hudson
Old Mod

Olds88:

Automotive engineers have more of a clue than you give them credit for. While they might not engineer a car to be serviced, more and more parts don't need to be serviced like in the past. Starters will go, but less frequently than 20 and 30 years ago.

Engines and other components are designed to afford the most (fuel economy, power, reliability, drivability, passenger space, comfort) for the least (vehicle size, exhaust emissions, cost). For major repairs of engines, for example, the system is designed to be removed from the vehicle. For regular maintenence (spark plugs, fluids, etc.), parts are accessable. For the intermediate parts (starters, alternators, a/c compressor, etc) it takes a bit more work on the technicians part.

Why should you complain? You get paid based on the time it takes you to work on the car, right? If it were simple, they'd need fewer technicians.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 08:51 PM   #29
olds88
AF Enthusiast

hey hudson if you ever get a chance take a good look at a warrenty labor guide try and break even, then you will understand were im coming from . and im not totaly ablivious to your point of veiw either but in my experiance if it has been installed an a vehical you will see it break and it just pisses me off to have to deal with the simplest thing made into a nightmare

but im the moron for pusuring the field im in so i should just shut up:o

agian i mean no disrespect

Old 08-17-2001, 10:17 AM   #30
Hudson
Old Mod

Having worked side-by-side with the guys who WRITE labor guides, I do know what you're talking about. But the labor guides we wrote were for aftermarket shops and gave a little bit more room for "real working conditions." Factory guides are typically a bit tight.

And it's not just modern cars. I passed on buying a Jaguar XJS because of transmission repairs. While the transmission is a standard GM part and fairly easy (and cheap) to purchase, the labor guides list about a day (not 8 hours....like 18+ hours) to replace it. That includes removal of the V12 engine since there's no frame crossmember to remove to drop the tranny.

I DO know where you're coming from.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical