Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: TS3.8L 96 oil pressure/fuel pump switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
My Pontiac fortunately came with glass lenses. They're still on the car from new. ...I do not see need for Xenon head lights, though they may have better light. ... .
...Do you know if glass units are available for replacement in Europe? In fact, when my car was new, I had been able to exchange the plastic units for glass units from a '91...but about 8 years ago, I had to replace the right with a plastic unit. This one is now totally ruined...while the 20year glass unit is still clear and bright.
The dominant blue spectrum of Xenon does deliver more lumens out of the blaster but the asphalt absorbs blue more than yellow...so our eyes see more light coming from the other's blue blasters, but the asphalt returns much less. I've tried both (not on my car) and do not see a real improvement...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
WelmoedJ
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
...Do you know if glass units are available for replacement in Europe? In fact, when my car was new, I had been able to exchange the plastic units for glass units from a '91...but about 8 years ago, I had to replace the right with a plastic unit. This one is now totally ruined...while the 20year glass unit is still clear and bright.
If they are available, it probably will only be from junkyards.
New? Perhaps, but at a price.
I'll check for you and report back.

Quote:
The dominant blue spectrum of Xenon does deliver more lumens out of the blaster but the asphalt absorbs blue more than yellow...so our eyes see more light coming from the other's blue blasters, but the asphalt returns much less. I've tried both (not on my car) and do not see a real improvement...
Agreed. As mentioned by both of us: replacing the wiring will improve the quality of the lighting system by 100%.
WelmoedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
WelmoedJ
AF Newbie

Additional information on the problem:
Last week I was close to home when the oil pressure dropped to zero.
Almost immediately I noticed the hydraulic valve lifters to get noisy.

Now I have the problem that testing the pressure obviously is no longer possible.
I intend to pull the oil pan and the oil pressure/fuel pump switch.
What's left in the oil pan will help to decide what to do next.
It also helps to determine if I do or don't need to get the oil pump rebuild kit (besides a new oil pan gasket, perhaps pump screen).

I'll keep you informed of the results.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #19
WelmoedJ
AF Newbie

Guys,

I have investigated my options to revive my 3.8L after total loss of oil pressure.
After removing the oil pan I noticed metal shavings in the remaining oil and even some flakes on the lower cylinder lining of number 6, probably dumped there by oil splashes.

I presume that the crankshaft bearings have suffered and to be sure that the engine would not have to be taken apart again after rebuilding the oil system, new bearings should also be installed.
A small revision like that can't be done in the car, so the engine needs to be taken out.

I don't have the proper means to get the car up enough to get the engine and subframe out. I also don't have the space to work on the engine itself.
Considering the parts cost I have calculated this to be too costly in money and taking too much of my time, I sadly decided to part from my TransSport.

I thank all members who assisted me when I had problems with this car, for their helpful suggestions.

For those in Europe who need parts (body ok, nice interior, tires 50%, set of winterwheels 50%) this may be an opportunity to acquire a car that always slept indoors.
If you're interested, PM me and make an offer.

Welmoed.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #20
Meridivs
AF Regular

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe you can find a complete 3.8L engine at a decent price in Germany to swap the whole engine if the body of your car is in such a good condition - there are a lot of running Trans Sports for sale on mobile.de ar very good prices.

Whatever you decide please post a few pictures with your engine for other forum members. Did you also found the cause of this problem (pump, oil pressure switch, oil screen)?
Meridivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
WelmoedJ
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridivs View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Maybe you can find a complete 3.8L engine at a decent price in Germany to swap the whole engine if the body of your car is in such a good condition - there are a lot of running Trans Sports for sale on mobile.de ar very good prices.

Whatever you decide please post a few pictures with your engine for other forum members. Did you also found the cause of this problem (pump, oil pressure switch, oil screen)?
As I found those metal flakes I stopped looking for the cause of the pressure loss.
An engine swap is beyond my options (no hoist, no space) and would take the same time as with removing the current engine and have it rebuilt. At least a rebuild ensures an almost as new engine, the outcome of a swap could turn out as bad as what I have now.
I'm not going that trail.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Sorry for that too. What was the mileage on the engine ?
Were it not the the distance , I might have gone for the glass headlights....
Just out of curiosity, do you consider a replacement....yeah, you still have the DeLorean....but you do not carry a refrigerator in that..

DO they sell Chevrolet Equinox around? THis is what I might look for (with the new 3.6 engine...) in my place in the event I must part for my TS, though it has far less usable place...but then the only really potent car for bulk volume would be a Grand Caravan...
I like bulk space...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #23
WelmoedJ
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Sorry for that too. What was the mileage on the engine ?
Were it not the the distance , I might have gone for the glass headlights....
Just out of curiosity, do you consider a replacement....yeah, you still have the DeLorean....but you do not carry a refrigerator in that..
If the repair only was like replacing the oil pump and some parts involved, I would have done it. However an in-car crankshaftbearing overhaul is impossible and as I explained I have neither space, tools or big money to go that road.

The DeLorean is equiped with A/C, no fridge necessary.
And while doing long distance drives, a pit stop can be used for refreshments as well

On the glass head lights, I can make a package and calculate shipping costs for you to decide if it's worth it? I also have two AC Delco oil filters that I no longer need; can add those to a parcel too.

BTW: have you upgraded the wiring of the head lights (as I did)? Improved the intensity by 100%. I also made the high beam work on all units. If you need info, I can provide instructions.

Quote:
DO they sell Chevrolet Equinox around? THis is what I might look for (with the new 3.6 engine...) in my place in the event I must part for my TS, though it has far less usable place...but then the only really potent car for bulk volume would be a Grand Caravan...
I like bulk space...
I'm alone since my children have their own families and my wife left this world. I only kept the Pontiac because selling it wouldn't bring much cash. Though I love the comfort on long distance drives, I no longer do need a big car like this one. I'm retired and a new or young car is not in the picture financially.

Tomorrow I will see and check a used Volvo S40, that is within my wallet's reach and if it checks out OK, I'll drive it home.
A car like that will be roomy enough for me and also saves money driving, on tax and on insurance.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
BTW: have you upgraded the wiring of the head lights (as I did)? Improved the intensity by 100%. I also made the high beam work on all units. .
That has been almost the first thing I had done after I bought the car. Hi's and lows together on HI....and additional long range optional on HI...all by relays with direct feed from alternator post through hi gauge wire. IN fact, I had done that on ALL my main cars since 1968....(Dodge GTS '68, FOrd Galaxie '68 , Chrysler 300 '71, Ford Country Squire '79... then TS '93 ) A few temporary and 2nd cars were left "as is"....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport