Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
enslow
AF Regular

If you look closely at the coil end of the 9746u wires, you will see a seam that runs vertically. There is no seam or groove around its circumference. The 746U wires do not appear to have a vertical seam, but do appear to have a groove around the circumference.

It may not mean anything, but I would ask to see the difference between the two.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enslow For This Useful Post:
edwinn (12-01-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #32
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Re: 97 Riv - spark plugs and wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslow View Post
If you look closely at the coil end of the 9746u wires, you will see a seam that runs vertically. There is no seam or groove around its circumference. The 746U wires do not appear to have a vertical seam, but do appear to have a groove around the circumference. It may not mean anything, but I would ask to see the difference between the two.
Plugs and Wires in

Mike over at Delcoline replaced the 37" plug wire no problem. Other boxes labeled 746U had the same wires, so maybe the OE wires are NLA.

This job is a wrap! the new plugs and wires are in after how many months?

This job is a wrap... after more than a year.

Odd wires

I didn't think it needed new ignition wires. They weren't cut and the boots/connectors were soft and with no rust or corrosion.

Temporarily running with ONE original P.E.D. wire.

Broken connection

However.. resistance of original #6 wire measured open circuit. To get a reading of 2450 ohms, the wire has to be pushed INTO the plug boot.. and it was repeatable. Ok fine! the original wires can be thrown out now. I'm certain the NEW #6 wire is good, and it's snapped onto the spark plug ok.

Wire #6 connection broken inside plug boot and measured open circuit.

Anti-seize check

A close look at the front plugs for 'thread goop' oozing out. Didn't see any, but had been drinking beer so the pics aren't very good.

Looks ok.. happy camper here!

No goop is seen around the plug threads.

So that's it!! Probably won't have to touch the plugs for another 10 years.

And it runs freakin' GREAT!!

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 12-09-2013 at 06:34 AM.
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote