Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > CTS and CTS-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
PawnofChaos
AF Newbie

2003 cts

I'm in the market for a used car and I'm seriously considering a 2003 CTS. I've read it gets 26 mpg highway. Is that accurate? I commute about 130 miles daily to and from work and need decent mileage. I have also read that several owners have had problems. What do some of you think? I know all models/makes have there lemons, but overall is it a vehicle I can depend on? I maintain my vehicles very well and keep them. I appreciate any thoughts you may have and thanks in advance.
PawnofChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
PiMarine21
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 cts

I own a 2005 cts with 3.6. Ive heard the 2003 had alot of problems and i believe they have the 3.2 with a timing belt. Some of the problems ive heard and seen are crank sensor going out, water filling up in rear clear cover and popping off when it freezes out, rear pinion seal leaks causing rear diff. to fail. some of these engines burn oil too. since the 3.2 has a timing belt i would change it along with water pump so keep that in mind when u buy a high mileage 3.2 engine. Its a beautiful car just not the most reliable car for the money.
PiMarine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Dasbogie
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 cts

I have owned an 03 CTS for about 3 years, so obviously I got it used.

It is rear wheel drive and doesn't like snow at all. I live in central pa. Every year it gets tested in adverse conditions. If you live in a warm climate that rarely or never sees snow/ice then sure this point doesn't really apply.

I had it leak oil through the valve cover gaskets. Not a cheap fix. At the time I had to wait 2 months for the actual gaskets to be manufactured because this has been an issue with this motor/year of vehicle. Because of the leak, I had to replace the crank position sensor which was soaked/ruined by all of the oil. The total repair was about $1100 w/parts and labor.

I do my own oil change, tire rotate, brakes, fluid updates and what not. I haven't seen a haynes or chiltons manual for these cars to assist beyond the regular maint. stuff. I'm not saying it isn't out there but I haven't seen it because the majority of the people that own these cars don't do there own auto work. Another thing to mention is it seems as though because of the cadillac badging on the vehicle, parts are more expensive. Keep it in mind when doing maint. .

It's a nice car inside. I love the leather, heated seats, and the fact that the heat and a/c doesn't take long to get going. It's an easy car to put a remote start/keyless/alarm into because of all of the data modules available for gm cars.

The motor has some $hit and git to it. I like it on the highway whether traffic is at 80 mph or I just need to pass someone, it hasn't let me down there.

Suspension makes for a nice ride. It is quite quiet too.

Overall I wouldn't buy another 03 cts. I would go newer, even 04 would be alright. The 03 was the first year and definitly all of the bugs were not worked out.

Do some more research and see if you can find any more motor issues with the 03. I have heard of the same problem I had on more than 1 occasion.

Good Luck
Dasbogie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > CTS and CTS-V