Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
kmerian
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kmerian
2000 Sportage overheating

Is this a common problem with the Kia Sportage? It heats up with the A/c on and at idle or in stop and go traffic. If I get moving for a while, it cools back down. Is there a fix for this? Or do I just have to live with it?

(Getting tired of running the heater when it is 95 degrees outside)
kmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2000 Sportage overheating

THis is a commonly reported problem specially in warm areas. It is generally blamed on the clutch fan that stops spinning the fan at the desired speed. Obviously the radiator heat transfer is good since ram air clears the problem.
either you find a replacement clutch for the fan at low cost, or like a lot have done, replace it with an electric fan. THe clutch fan as well as electric fan with relay and temp sensor components are available on e-bay.
Detailed project instructions HERE
Old 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
boxer4ever
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Kia sportage that is overheating, smells like antifreeze when u turn on heater. Im thinking one of the problems is the heater core. I flushed the radiator and refilled it. The kia will idle and not overheat until you drive it. I was told to change the radiator cap and try some sealer for the heater core. Also the fan in front of radiator is not turning on at any time??? Does this fan only run when you are using the AC?? The fan does work because I ran some wires from the battery directly to fan and it started right up. Any suggestions?
boxer4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
LMP
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer4ever View Post
1...sportage that is overheating, smells like antifreeze when u turn on heater....
2... told to change the radiator cap and try some sealer for the heater core.
3...fan in front of radiator.. Does this fan only run when you are using the AC?? ?
1 these are 2 distinct issues...yes heater cores are known to fail...there are several threads about how to get to it...will come back with links if needed.
2 radiator cap change ? this is a hoax. however, pull the cap off, run the engine and verify for bubbles coming out. Failed head gasket is a SURE cause for overhating...if failed,exhaust bubbles will pop out . By the way, do you have to add coolant..? If it really overheats, do not loose money for a new radiator, water pump, like several do to no avail before admitting the failed head gasket...
3 The belt driven fan is thermostatic (if it was not changed for an electric) and takes care of engine cooling. The front electric fan is for a/c

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sportage