Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Milan
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Milan died--fuel pressure good--spark?

08 Milan with v6 auto trans

Was running great when it suddenly spit sputtered and died--I checked fuel pressure and looked good so I put a bit of starting fluid down its throat to see if I could get a pulse but nothing---cranks and wont hit a lick.. fixing to go check spark--no codes showing--just fishing for ideas now?
94&92Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Re: Milan died--fuel pressure good--spark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94&92Astro View Post
08 Milan with v6 auto trans

Was running great when it suddenly spit sputtered and died--I checked fuel pressure and looked good so I put a bit of starting fluid down its throat to see if I could get a pulse but nothing---cranks and wont hit a lick.. fixing to go check spark--no codes showing--just fishing for ideas now?
As suspected I have good fuel pressure but NO SPARK at the plug!
Has 60k miles and clean as a whistle---No fault codes--Do I suspect computer as has 6 individual coils---fuse----Ideas? Time to call a real mechanic
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
94&92Astro
AF Regular

OK ---I will just continue this thread solo as time permits in case it will help someone in the future.
My phone calls and research tell me this could very well be a pcm - ecm issue--all coils are not sparking with no codes. I found a few PCMs on nearly identical cars I wouldn't mind taking a chance on but PCM nodel numbers vary slightly so I just don't know squat about them... Still going to check the crank position sensor and go over the fuses again---Frustrating---Car was running great now it is a yard ornament--wife not happy in my old chevy truck---and when she aint happy....well any help appreciated.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Today I am going to change the crank sensor and take off the throttle body so I can get a good look at the three rear coil over packs--I was told to look for melting or some type of heat related issue on them. Then put everything back in and re-test. As a side note I read in the owners manual and confirmed on multiple websites that the pcm (or ecu) is covered under a federal emissions warranty for 8/80. I called dealer and they acted retarded about it so I guess if my efforts today fail to raise a spark I will print the pdf and stick it in their face on tues morning. I will continue to report here as time permits in hopes of helping some other person in the future.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Today I am going to change the crank sensor and take off the throttle body so I can get a good look at the three rear coil over packs--I was told to look for melting or some type of heat related issue on them. Then put everything back in and re-test. As a side note I read in the owners manual and confirmed on multiple websites that the pcm (or ecu) is covered under a federal emissions warranty for 8/80. I called dealer and they acted retarded about it so I guess if my efforts today fail to raise a spark I will print the pdf and stick it in their face on tues morning. I will continue to report here as time permits in hopes of helping some other person in the future.
Changed crank sensor with no change also did not see any problems with coil over packs and after a week of messin with it I am done--I suspect bad pcm according to my readings and inquiries. No spark and no codes. Will have it hauled to dealer and expect to have a tussle with them--we will see....
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Changed crank sensor with no change also did not see any problems with coil over packs and after a week of messin with it I am done--I suspect bad pcm according to my readings and inquiries. No spark and no codes. Will have it hauled to dealer and expect to have a tussle with them--we will see....
Dealer tested and it turned out to be PCM. They were great and told me all repairs are covered (someone please wake me up) under 8/80 fed emissions warranty. I will have one more followup post.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Quote:
Dealer tested and it turned out to be PCM. They were great and told me all repairs are covered (someone please wake me up) under 8/80 fed emissions warranty. I will have one more followup post.

What, I must be dreaming aswell!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Milan