Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance
Performance Discuss Engine, Suspension, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
SoulReaver009
AF Newbie

Water/Coolant flush 1999 Mustang 3.8 v6

Hello All,
I need to flush my Mustang Water/Coolant.

It has been sitting for a while, and when I started it recently, the thermostat did not open.

Luckily, it did not overheat badly, just a little, if at all. I turned on my heater vents full blast and the temp went down. Also, the smell was like dirty water. I use regular tap water, which I will changing to distilled water and the correct coolant mixed at the correct ratio from now on.

I changed my thermostat, and that fixed my overheating problem, now I need to change and flush my radiator and reservoir.

I bought sea foam. I know I can use this. I would just like some help, and confirmation. I will be adding sea foam to my gas tank, 1 oz per gal of fuel, and I would also to know how much I should add to my water. I am thinking to flush my radiator multiple times.

I will also be removing my thermostat again, and also my lower radiator hose to flush the ports in my engine, in which the water travels. I am thinking first to change my water out with tap water. And let it idle for a while. Then drain and take apart thermostat and lower hose to flush out the engines’ water ports.

I would like to know if there is anything I can add to my water to make the rust come out, and also to clean the walls of the ports. I only have sea foam, but if anyone can recommend anything else, that would be great.

Also, if someone can please point out the screw under my radiator that I have to remove to drain it, that would be great. I’ve done my thermostat and other work on my car, but not a radiator drain. I will be looking at my chilton’s manual and also on other sites for this. But always best to have multiple answers pointing at the same thing, for confirmation.

So yeah, if anyone has done this before and knows a better way than I described, or if you know of something to add to my water to get it to clean the port walls, that would be great.

Thank you
SR
SoulReaver009 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
flush , mustang , radiator
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Performance