Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
Jacob42
AF Newbie

2001 Nissan Maxima Alternator rattling after replacement

I have a 5th gen 2001 Nissan Maxima. I just replaced the alternator with one from AM auto parts I'll link it HERE. I followed this deceptively easy looking youtube video to remove it. The only thing I did different was I had to remove the belt tensioner to get to one of the bolts. After that I installed it by doing the reverse. But After it was back in it started rattling a little. Its loud enough to be heard from inside the cabin and it gets less noticeable at higher RPM's and when looking at it you can actually see it moving. So I got back in and discovered that the long bolt that goes through the back was in the wrong place when I was tightening it and the piece of metal that stops it from freely rotating got bent so I bent it back and put it all back together being careful to do it right but it didn't help at all. If anything its worse now. I tried adjusting the belt tension several times but it didn't help, it did get worse when it is tighter.
It works fine but is very annoying and I'm worried it might cause other problems latter. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? I'm stumped.
Jacob42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
Jacob42
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Nissan Maxima Alternator rattling after replacement

So I tore it all apart again and found that the long bolt that goes through the alternator and engine block is just to thin? I put the bolt just through the engine block and it had quite a bit of play so I'm pretty sure its rattling where the bolt goes through the block. Of course this doesn't make any sense because its the original bolt that came from the factory. I compared the new and old alternators and they are exactly alike. They both have a tiny bit of play where the bolt goes through the mounting holes but much less than where it attaches to the engine.
Is there some special way to do this? I'm sure that I installed it right and I've talked to our mechanic but its still having this problem.
Does anyone know how to fix this? I was thinking about wrapping tape or something around the bolt to make it a little bigger. Is there a specific sequence or something you have to follow when tightening the bolt / belt.
Please help this is driving me crazy!
Jacob42 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35