Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Chewwy
AF Newbie

Jump Start Using Remote Ground Connection Per the Owners Manual Does Not Work

Had a very dead battery on a 2018 Equinox. The vehicle owners manual is VERY specific stating to use the remote ground connection to jump or charge the battery.

IMO, that is due to exreme concern over H2 gas explosion or potential fire. Been jumping cars for over 50 years and never had a problem yet, but that is another issue.

Follwing the manual’s instruction and was unable to either jump the vehicle or charge the battery. Called AAA and they sent a tow truck to provide roadside service. He had a portable jump box.

After I cautioned him to use the remote ground, he connected using the remote ground and vehicle would NOT start. Out of frustration I requested he then jumper directly to the battery and not the remote ground. Car started quickly.

Took vehicle to auto service and got the battery replaced.

I have two questions.

1. Why would jumping using remote ground not work and jumping to battery does.

2. Why in heck does the owners manual give instructions that do NOT work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chewwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Jump Start Using Remote Ground Connection Per the Owners Manual Does Not Work

I have had issues with several GM vehicles with the remote terminals. I think it has to do with piss poor design and poor grounding.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Jump Start Using Remote Ground Connection Per the Owners Manual Does Not Work

Likewise. I've had poor luck getting cars to start using the remote ground terminals as well. I typically go straight to the battery terminals with my portable jump start packs and chargers as well. If I'm stuck using jumper cables I'll typically try to get those to work using a common ground rather than directly to the battery.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #4
Chewwy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
. . .
I typically go straight to the battery terminals with my portable jump start packs and chargers as well. If I'm stuck using jumper cables I'll typically try to get those to work using a common ground rather than directly to the battery.
-Rod

Why?

Are connecting jumper cables more hazardous than connecting a jump box?

Old 10-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

Yes, jumper cables are much more likely to spark. Most modern jump start pack either have switches or relays so there is no or very little power available to the clamps when connecting them. Once the clamps are connected, either a switch is triggered or the "smart" clamps sense a correct voltage and polarity and close a relay. With no spark, the risk of having an issue if a battery is leaking some of the gas is greatly reduced.

Although having never experienced an issue from modern car batteries leaking gas, I'm probably a bit more willing to go straight to the battery terminals with jumper cables than someone who has experienced a leaking battery.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
Chewwy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
Yes, jumper cables are much more likely to spark. Most modern jump start pack either have switches or relays so there is no or very little power available to the clamps when connecting them. Once the clamps are connected, either a switch is triggered or the "smart" clamps sense a correct voltage and polarity and close a relay. With no spark, the risk of having an issue if a battery is leaking some of the gas is greatly reduced.

Although having never experienced an issue from modern car batteries leaking gas, I'm probably a bit more willing to go straight to the battery terminals with jumper cables than someone who has experienced a leaking battery.

-Rod

Thanks for the info. I have jumped many many vehicles going straight to the battery terminals. Lots of sparks but never ignited anything. The sparks let you know you have a good connection.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical