Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
jameschang
AF Newbie

I lost my baby!!! Buying a new one. What is the best new sports car for under $50k

Hi everyone, (sorry this is a long post, but it is interesting)

I don't think anyone remembers, but last year, I posted a forum in here asking about what car I should get. Criterias were that it had to be fast, handled well, and was a headturner. Got some great responses, in the end I got a blue Infiniti G35 coupe. I totally loved that car! Washed it twice a week, just babied it. Then 6 months after I got the car, and about 2 months ago, I got into a very serious car accident. This guy caused me to crash into a semi truck, basically removing the roof from my car, a, b, and c pillars were gone....car was totalled. If anyone was sitting in the passenger or back seats, they would've been gone. The police say I should be dead...but I just walked away. And the other driver got away too, police are charging him, but big surprise they can't find him.

I am surprised how quickly I got back behind the wheel (2 hours exactly test driving different rental cars, lol) For the week while I was waiting for my check, my insurance covered my rentals. Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade, and a Mustang GT Convertible. Okay, the SUVs I got because I was still a little shaken up....but then I got the Mustang and did donuts the minute I got it. Still, this was my first accident, and I should've listened to my dad when he said to wait for my nerves to come down before buying a new car, because I won't be happy with my purchase if I do. He was so right. I got an Acura TL...the car was fun for a few days, but now....I am looking to get rid of it. But I already have winter tyres for it, so I'll keep it til the Spring. But come Spring...what car would you suggest I look at?

Criterias:

1. Has to only have two doors
2. Under $50k brand new
3. Acceleration, and handling must be good
4. Four seats pref. but I can deal with 2
5. Coupe pref. but the convertible is okay
6. Flashiness is alright
7. MOST IMPORTANT, it must be fun to drive

Cars I was looking at:

BMW Z4 roadster
Infiniti G37
Nissan 350 Z
Mercedes CLK
jameschang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
jameschang
AF Newbie

Re: I lost my baby!!! Buying a new one. What is the best new sports car for under $5

I hope it doesn't sound like I am some rich jerk who just crashes cars. I work very hard; and I love cars like most of us do here.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: I lost my baby!!! Buying a new one. What is the best new sports car for under $50k

How about a corvette.
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: I lost my baby!!! Buying a new one. What is the best new sports car for under $50k

BMW 335i any day of the week.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silentscreams85

i second the 335i nomination

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
silentscreams85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGT2000
How about a corvette.
I'd buy a couple of 'em, lol.

I vote for the Beamer too. However, I will say that my cousin drives a 350 convertible and its pretty quick.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: I lost my baby!!! Buying a new one. What is the best new sports car for under $5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
I'd buy a couple of 'em, lol.

I vote for the Beamer too. However, I will say that my cousin drives a 350 convertible and its pretty quick.
bimmer=bmw cars
beamer=bmw bikes
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

I certainly like the 335i.... if you are going for more luxury than sports, than I vote the BMW as well.
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
Old 12-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
jameschang
AF Newbie

Why the 335 instead of the Z4? Practicality is at the bottom of my list. I am not married and certainly don't have any kids. It just seems to me like the Z4 might be more of an exhilerating ride.

One thing I noticed when I went from the G35 to the TL is that, with the G, I looked forward to every single drive, from the day I got it, to the day I lost it. With the TL, that's certainly not the case.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
silentscreams85
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to silentscreams85

I cant believe i didnt think of this before. How about a Lotus Elise? Very flashy, will get lots of attention. Quick and nimble. I'd take it over a Z4 any day.

K&N Intake
TRD axleback exhaust
silentscreams85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Well if practicality means nothing, than Corvette for sure.
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 PM   #12
98BlackTransAm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 98BlackTransAm

first car i though of when i read what you wanted was a lotus elise, only possible draw back is that it's a 2-seater. it's not gonna be as fast as a c6 vette, but i'm sure it will be even more fun to drive, and will definately draw more attention than a vette.
F13 cam (230/232, .595/.585, 112+4 LSA) | PRC Dual Valve Springs | LS2 Timing Chain | Ported LS6 oil pump | Pacesetter LT's | TSP catted y-pipe | Flowtech cutout | LS6 intake | SLP lid | SLP cat-back | Bilstein suspension | Tuned by Mayhem Motorsports

1998 Pontiac Trans Am (A4) - SOLD
slp lid, pacesetter lts, ory, flowtech cutout, fuddle 3400 stall, B&M tranny cooler
98BlackTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #13
VR43000GT
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to VR43000GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98BlackTransAm
first car i though of when i read what you wanted was a lotus elise, only possible draw back is that it's a 2-seater. it's not gonna be as fast as a c6 vette, but i'm sure it will be even more fun to drive, and will definately draw more attention than a vette.

Agreed 100%. The C6 would be faster in a straight line but the Lotuse would be a bit more original, more nimble, and be an attention-grabber if that is your thing.

VR43000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Word of warning about the Elise; even though the S2 is less compromised than the S1 cars, it is still a car built to very strict tolerances. As such, most parts are perishable and while running costs (mpg, oil, servicing) is cheap on the surface of it, costs for replacement parts is an ever on going thing..... It is in no way a comfortable daily car even though it can be used daily.

What is Lotus supply/service like in the States right now?

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
jameschang
AF Newbie

Actually I am from Toronto, and as far as I know, there is only one Lotus dealership in Toronto. I've seen very few around Toronto; I've seen more Gallardos and such than Elise.

I'd imagine it's not a reasonable daily car.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons