Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #121
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Need Help: Narrowed It Down To 5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGT2000
Maybe its just my inexperience with turbos but I just dont' trust an old turbo engine. I know older turbos were not as efficient as they are today and they tended to wear out. It would be disappointing to get a car only to find that you had to replace a part already, not that you couldn't get a 5.0 and realize that the rings are bad. It just seems like more parts to break on an old car. I never looked into the aftermarket for the Z but the 5.0 has an almost infinite aftermarket. Performance on those things is so cheap that sometimes I think about selling my 2000 and getting a 91 and putting 6000 dollars worth of parts into it. Also, theres alot of 5.0 mustangs out there, which if you are concerned with "being different" you may not like, but the fact is that everything that can be done to that car has been done and someone always knows how to make that thing work. Its a proven way to go fast on a budget and a good car to learn on because it is relatively primitive compared to even 20 year old imports. I admire its simplicity and effectiveness.
actually the Z31T is one of the simplest turboed engines you can find which helps its reliabilty. it is a turbo and some piping and a wastegate...if you look back a couple pages, i have already stated the reliability of the Z31T in defense of it. yes a 5.0 mustang has a much larger aftermarket and replacement parts are cheaper but the Z's aftermarket is not small and if you can shop, parts can also be just as cheap.

not at all am i saying that the Z31T is better than the 5.0 mustang but i am saying it shouldnt be forgotten because people dont know anything about it. why even post in defense of another car if you know absolutely nothing about the car your NOT defending??? that makes for a very weak argument...

if you actually know something about the Z31T, you wouldnt doubt its reliabilty so much... 7.5:1 compression ratio boosting a whole 5-6 psi. to me, there is nothing there that says unreliable. and beings it is only producing a small portion of the power it is capable of, it makes modding this car so much easier. an intercooler, boost controller, BOV (of some sort), exhaust, and intake can easily put you into the mid-low 13's.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:46 PM   #122
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

Hey K3, I am sure that the z31t is a fine car. It is a fact that I really don't know alot about it, but I do know a fair amount about late model mustangs. I am giving nothing but facts about the mustang. I believe that I am entitled to my own opinion, so please don't sound so agressive, if for some reason I sounded agressive, I didn't mean to. Now I am not attacking the Z31t, I am only stating that if someone gets the 5.0 for performance, they will be traveling an extremely well beaten path. In my personal opinion that is what draws me to my decision. When I say that I don't know much about turbos, I am not completely ignorant. I know how they work and I know what components they need to work on your car. I am also fully aware of the performance possibilities of a turbo as well as the risks involved with turbocharging an engine. It is definately a route to explore, however like I said before the 5.0 is a sure thing, its common, and as big as the z31t's aftermarket may be, I am sure it dosn't come close to the 5.0. Take my comments for what they are I don't mean them to be menacing.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #123
mrgofast21018
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mrgofast21018

crx crx crx yaaaaay crx. ehhh. im almost burned out of this thread. the guy needs to make up his mind already.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #124
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGT2000
Hey K3, I am sure that the z31t is a fine car. It is a fact that I really don't know alot about it, but I do know a fair amount about late model mustangs. I am giving nothing but facts about the mustang. I believe that I am entitled to my own opinion, so please don't sound so agressive, if for some reason I sounded agressive, I didn't mean to. Now I am not attacking the Z31t, I am only stating that if someone gets the 5.0 for performance, they will be traveling an extremely well beaten path. In my personal opinion that is what draws me to my decision. When I say that I don't know much about turbos, I am not completely ignorant. I know how they work and I know what components they need to work on your car. I am also fully aware of the performance possibilities of a turbo as well as the risks involved with turbocharging an engine. It is definately a route to explore, however like I said before the 5.0 is a sure thing, its common, and as big as the z31t's aftermarket may be, I am sure it dosn't come close to the 5.0. Take my comments for what they are I don't mean them to be menacing.
oh i wasnt at all saying tat you didnt know anything about turbos...i was just explaining that the Z31T is not a complicated turbo set-up with alot of other parts that can break down after time. yes, the 5.0's aftermarket is much larger to say the least but the Z31T does have its aftermarket, too. mofifying a Z31T is not a rarity, it is very common. you just have to look further than your own neighborhood to find it.

i wasnt trying to sound agressive either, it just sounded to me like you were making an argument against a car you know nothing about. i know a little about the mustang and i know quite a bit about the Z31T. the mustang is by far a better performer in the long run due to its obvious displacement advantages...but i think for easy power, you will see less problems and i think it will be less of a headache to mod a Z31T into the 13's. really, to mod a Z31T into the 13's, you just need to add bolt on parts that should be on it anyways.

but hey, i dont really care what this kid gets...just trying to keep the Z31T unforgotten because i think it is the best choice out of the bunch. but that is me and we are all different...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #125
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

I agree, it dosn't matter really what he gets, if he gets either of these cars he will definately have a distinct performance advantage over most of the other cars that were mentioned.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons