Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Camaro SS or Mustang Cobra
Camaro 76 59.38%
Mustang 52 40.63%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 PM   #181
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Stock for stock, the SS and the '03 cobra are running pretty close from what i've seen. But of course the f-body is gone, so its kinda a moot point now.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #182
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
Stock for stock, the SS and the '03 cobra are running pretty close from what i've seen. But of course the f-body is gone, so its kinda a moot point now.
Every GM fan knows that there will be another fbod. They just need alittle time.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #183
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by pontiactrac

Every GM fan knows that there will be another fbod. They just need alittle time.

I'm brand loyal, but no way am i sticking with a company so much as waiting for them to get off their ass to make something i want. If ford is the only company making a car i want when i'm in the market, then i'm going to ford. If GM comes out with something that is worth my $$$, then i'll go with them.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:22 PM   #184
benroliver
AF Newbie

"Stock for stock, the SS and the '03 cobra are running pretty close from what i've seen. But of course the f-body is gone, so its kinda a moot point now." -cy-
You couldnt be more wrong. Its not even a contest the cobra beats it stock, read this 1 of many articles on the new cobra

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/

And for those who think that 4.6 modular mustangs need blowers to go fast, take a look at the new mach 1, 13.1 stock the automatic ran a 13.5

read:http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../0303MM_Mach1/
Old 02-25-2003, 07:42 PM   #185
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by benroliver
"Stock for stock, the SS and the '03 cobra are running pretty close from what i've seen. But of course the f-body is gone, so its kinda a moot point now." -cy-
You couldnt be more wrong. Its not even a contest the cobra beats it stock, read this 1 of many articles on the new cobra

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ff_deathmatch/

And for those who think that 4.6 modular mustangs need blowers to go fast, take a look at the new mach 1, 13.1 stock the automatic ran a 13.5

read:http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../0303MM_Mach1/

HAHAHA, look at the damn address "muscle mustang fast fords", kinda seems...one sided. From what i've seen, and heard (even from people on the net), people are running comperable times, all in all it could go either way. If you REALLY wanna get into it, lets look at prices, $$ for times. The LS1 can be had for MUCH cheaper, but that isn't the point. Stock for stock, they aren't far apart, more often than not stock for stock, it'll be between drivers.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:04 PM   #186
benroliver
AF Newbie

Your an absolute moron. Read the fucking articles, they are not biased at all, i wouldn't use them to prove a point if i thought they were biased.
Numbers dont like a 390 hp mustang will rape a 325 horse comaro. Its that simple, and money wise, u can get the mach1 for 29 and it runs a 13.1 stock, and the cobra is 1grand more than the aniversery ss.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:14 PM   #187
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Cobra weighs more, and doesn't put down 390rwhp, LS1's put down around 310-320rwhp stock. Here is another thing, a Z28 will put down basically the same numbers as the SS, but the Z28 can be had for low 20's...like 22k or so.

From times i've seen, from Cobra owners times on the net (knowing that a lot of net numbers are inflated), the stock cobra and stock camaro's are running around the same times. Realistically, since almost no LS1's can be had for new, then the LS1 is gonna be a lot cheaper, even though its used it'll be cheaper than a used cobra. Ya, there are reasons of that.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #188
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by benroliver
Your an absolute moron. Read the fucking articles, they are not biased at all, i wouldn't use them to prove a point if i thought they were biased.
Numbers dont like a 390 hp mustang will rape a 325 horse comaro. Its that simple, and money wise, u can get the mach1 for 29 and it runs a 13.1 stock, and the cobra is 1grand more than the aniversery ss.
390hp mustang MIGHT beat a 325hp camaro. Great win there!!!! Dude, ur talking about a difference of 65 more horsepower in the cobra's favor. Most superchargers don't even put out that much. It should be expected to win! And do you really think that this SS vs Cobra comparison would have lasted as a question this long if one article told the answer to which is faster... If that was the case and everyone knew the answer, there would be no debate at all!!! I have read articles that have said that the SS is faster and somet that were like ur's. The real point here is though, if you are gona run the two models with the same horsepower. (With the camaro modded to 390,) take a guess who would prob win then??? I guarantee the f-body would have a much better power to weight ratio. And then take a look at the aerodynamics of the cobra, and then the camaro. Starting to get it yet??? And then to finish the case... there's also the money issue which i believe was already braught up.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #189
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

As you can see, the person above seems to have a brand loyalty, or something of the like (pontiac), no offense though.

Everyone and their brother will have their own opinion. The f-body is lighter, but less power, the cobra has more power but is heavier.

I get attacked whenever i say that both cars are great, and it just comes down personal preference (brand loyalty or what have you). I really don't understand how someone can jump on me for saying that. It can be argued both ways, you can argue that either car is better, and no one will win in the end.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:29 PM   #190
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
It makes no sense to even really compare the '03 Cobra to the '02 SS by factory specs. The Cobra has the 390 supercharged hp, while the SS is pure engine. Thats the problem with Ford all they do is say lets just put this supercharger on everything to get more power. Chevy actually uses the engine to make power. This sounds bias, and partially is, but I have talked to several Ford guys, who live and die by ford, who think the same thing. Now if you go back to the late '90s I remember Motor Trend imparticular doing a performance match up b/w a T/A, Z28, and a Cobra and the Z28 and T/A tore it up. That seems pretty sad that the Cobra was aimed at the SS yet competed against the lower models.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:11 PM   #191
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

The SS is basically a Z28, there really isn't much difference between them. So it really doesn't matter which one you compare really, but i guess the SS will run slightly faster if anything b/c the lid and ok exhaust...anyways.

It doesn't really matter how the ford makes power, when you roll up next to it on the street or track, you run what you brung. If you make power from a hamster on a wheel (honda) and beat someone, thats what matters.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:13 PM   #192
benroliver
AF Newbie

Ok the cobra is faster, its been established. Compare it to the mach 1 which is cheaper than the ss. It runs a 13.1 stock on street tires and is not supercharged and fully loaded at 29grand.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:51 PM   #193
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Since when has it been proven?! You are one of those idiots that won't settle with a sensible answer, it has to be all your way...even though most logical people would say otherwise.

The cobra is RATED at 390, that is rated at the flywheel, and Ford isn't too far off, people on the net in general (net = inflated numbers) say they are putting 380rwhp or so with a few mods. The SS is rated at 325 at the flywheel, and puts around 320 at the wheels depending (there are weak and strong ones out there). There are weight differences as well as other things that SLIGHTLY (don't freak out over this) the f-body. All in all, the car with the better driver is going to win.

On the dyno, sure, the cobra will beat out the SS. If you wanna be an ass about things, lets just take a peek at when kinda recalls ford has on their cars...and the cobra.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #194
pontiactrac
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
The SS is basically a Z28, there really isn't much difference between them. So it really doesn't matter which one you compare really, but i guess the SS will run slightly faster if anything b/c the lid and ok exhaust...anyways.
It basically is the same car... but remember, tenths of seconds can make a difference of a win or loss

and benrolover, it hasn't been proven yet, so many sources say different things, and your obviously not a professional considering the replies you posted previously
Old 02-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #195
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Ya, but there still isn't a large difference between the SS and Z28. We are talking dynoing maybe 10hp or 15hp less. Thats not huge, and i could come down to the driver again.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons