Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which has the best performance?
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ400 27 51.92%
2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 20 38.46%
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 01:55 AM   #61
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
I don't see why there is much debate about this, the FQ400 was able to beat a Pagani Zonda, which has a 7.3 litre V8 and 547 bhp while weighing a light (For a 7.3 V8 Supercar) 1280 Kg.

So by all logic a Zonda could beat a Corvette Z06, hence a FQ400 could as well.)
It will take more then just one race to come to any clearer conclusion about this. There needs to be a more comprehensive analysis made involving tests on several tracks and with several drivers.

Quote:
Add to that: The Evo's modifications that tickle it to 400bhp are done by Ralliart, who I believe are a subsidary of Mitsubishi (Either way they are factory backed)
I have heard of involvement from 3rd parties such as the tuning firms Rampage, Owen Developments and Flow Race Engines but never the less it is still factory backed as it does come with a warranty.

In my personal experience Ralliart seems makes more in stickers then parts.
Quote:
The Evo has the added bonus of AWD and an active differential (Which means it can be driven in all weather).
Cannot argue with that. I would welcome the opportunity for the Corvette to go AWD provided it does not affect weight and balance too much. After all Zora Arkus Dutov made the CERV II in the 1960's that was essentially a mid-engined AWD Corvette with an aluminium body.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Old 12-22-2004, 05:27 AM   #62
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettribution87

In my personal experience Ralliart seems makes more in stickers then parts.

Oh so damn true, I've seen Ralliart decals all over a Nissan Sentra before, though they certainly do produce some good bits.

And yes you are right there are many outsourced modifications, the ECU (Motec) is another example of this.

I agree with the rest of your post wholeheartedly as well.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 12-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #63
Alaa 3000GT
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Alaa 3000GT
Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

I saw the FQ400 Top gear video .. The race was between Murcielago and Evo and the winner is EVO . It's not straight race , It's a track race .
Old 12-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #64
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

I'd Prefer The Standard Evo To Either Of The Others, Though The Corvette Does Seem To Be Decent This Gen. I Don't Think It Can Match An MR

It's VERY common for jap cars (specially JDM) to have aftermarket type parts from the factory and have all the aftermarket names still on it.
guess its the tuning culture.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 PM   #65
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

Is this thread about which car is faster or which car you would like to have??

Because really, the Vette... is a VETTE! I don't care how fast they can make an econobox/rally car go, or how many daily driving amenities they can strip away from an already cheesy Mustang interior – the Z06 is one thing either of those two will never be… exotic.

Think what kind of action you could get in a Vette. Don’t get me wrong, there seems to be enough chicks out there who love the rally and/or ricer image these days, but a Mitsubishi simply aint gonna get you the kind of high-class tail and Vette will.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:16 PM   #66
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r
I will take the EVO over the corvette...just think about this...both car has around the same performance rite? EVO do 9.7km/l how much does corvette do? plus also EVO's 4G63 red line is at 7500RPM but the Vette's is only at 6500 RPM...Vette's engine suddenly sound a bit normal? (i know big engine are harder to crank up high rpm, but the new M5 redline is at 8250RPM). Turbo lag? no power at low rpm? well we were talking about racing ain't we? in race ppl always had their rpm in the boost range don't they? and as for chick.....don't u guys think they watch 2F2F? The main character drive? EVO.

Old 12-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #67
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS LT1
Think what kind of action you could get in a Vette. Don’t get me wrong, there seems to be enough chicks out there who love the rally and/or ricer image these days, but a Mitsubishi simply aint gonna get you the kind of high-class tail and Vette will.

High-class tail? err...won't they be rolling in Benz/Bmw? or emmm bently?Corvette seem a bit too working class for the high-class tail ur talking about?

Old 12-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #68
DVS LT1
AF Enthusiast

I don't think anyone is questioning the performance of an Evo, you could have/make an evo that could kill a Vette in a race - but you'll still look a hell of a lot better in a Vette. Exotic vs. boxy car.

Hey unless you're talking about the $100,000 German rides (CAD that is, Vette's up here start at $70,000). Anything like a 3 series BMW... such a waste, they're a dime-a-dozen! And Bentley??, geeze, you don't want to get TOO high class cause at that point the broads get so stuck up and snobby you won't be able to have any fun in bed - they'd find anything more that straight 2min intercourse disrespectful, would probably yap about money the whole bloody time LOL.

EDIT: ya that didn't come out right the first time. Nevertheless, a Vette will definitely put you in a higher pedigree than the other two.

Last edited by DVS LT1; 12-23-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 PM   #69
Vettribution87
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS LT1
EDIT: ya that didn't come out right the first time. Nevertheless, a Vette will definitely put you in a higher pedigree than the other two.
I have to agree the Corvette does have quite a lot of heritage for a moderately priced sports car. It definitely has more pedigree then an EVO. Not always a good thing though. Every time you go to a hotel you’re surrounded by valets wanting to park you’re Vette while the EVO guy, bored of waiting, decides to park it up across the road and marches past the mob of valets to get to reception first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairladyz_gt-r
I will take the EVO over the corvette...just think about this...both car has around the same performance rite? EVO do 9.7km/l how much does corvette do?.
The Z06 does 19/28 mpg.
Last I heard the FQ400 was a bit of a gas-guzzler. In top gears test it did 4mpg. They were racing it around but its still pretty bad. If they tried to sell it in the US it would definitely be subject to the gas-guzzler tax that the C6 Vette has avoided.
But then who gives a stuff about fuel economy anyway.

Quote:
plus also EVO's 4G63 red line is at 7500RPM but the Vette's is only at 6500 RPM...Vette's engine suddenly sound a bit normal? (i know big engine are harder to crank up high rpm, but the new M5 redline is at 8250RPM).
I don’t see how engine revs are really an issue provided it delivers the power and torque numbers required throughout that rev range. But anyway that BMW M5 you’re talking about is a 5L V10. Clearly in comparison to a 6L V8 it will have smaller pistons. Smaller pistons mean less reciprocal mass and therefore less strain and dynamic mass. Obviously it would be able to rev higher but the price of that is torque and to a degree excessive weight and size.

Quote:
Turbo lag? no power at low rpm? well we were talking about racing ain't we? in race ppl always had their rpm in the boost range don't they?
Turbo lag has lost many a race. It is an important issue.
For example lets take a 400hp Supra Vs a 375hp Mustang. In this Supra the rev range between 100 - 3000rpm the engine is under 175hp. Suddenly at 3000rpm the turbo kicks in and its now instantly gained 100hp making it 275hp. The power rises exponentially (rate of power change climbing) over a narrow rev range to its maximum 400hp.
The problem hear is the Mustang produces a lot of horse power at the low end meaning before the Supras turbo kicks in its like a race between a 290hp Mustang and a 175hp Supra and thus the Mustang gets a head start. Now I know that what is done normally is that the guy in the Supra will dip the clutch and rev the engine into the turbos operational zone. But what happens when he drops the clutch is the car puts down 275hp on the ground right away, which results in wheel spin and allows the Mustang an even bigger head start.
Nowadays of course there are remedies to turbo lag and Supras that are properly tuned can almost eradicate the problems mentioned above. But what I’m pointing out how serious a lag laden turbo setup can be.

Quote:
and as for chick.....don't u guys think they watch 2F2F? The main character drive? EVO.
Firstly it’s a movie and movies should never be taken seriously, ESPECIALLY "2 Fast too Furious".
Also there really is no car in the world that works as an all-purpose chick magnet. The appeal of a car to women is as diverse and varied as our own and in many cases the guys that brag about how their car attracts all the ladies are ether lying or are simply unaware that they themselves might be attractive to women.
It can be strange to comprehend at times. One girl I was talking to said she preferred my friends N/A R33 Skyline GTS to my more rare, faster and sexier Corvette.

A saying that rings out in practically every car comparison is "To each his own", and it aptly applies here.

"I am ispeptic, phasmatic even compuntious to cause you such perry combobulations."
E. Blackadder 1827
Old 12-24-2004, 01:12 AM   #70
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Coming from a mustang fan I have never been impressed with the cobra r. I'd rather save the money and get an 03 cobra. So the mustang comes in 3rd in this comparison.

For 2nd I'm going to go with the evo and here is my reason why. The evo is a turbocharged 2.0 pumping out 400 ponies. That is impressive and I'd love to have one if I could get my hands on one. The thing is that engine probably has some stress put on it being so small and making so much power. The vette doesn't have as much stress put on it since it's a bigger engine and the power is distributed better. In the long run I think the evo would break down before the vette would. Plus the evo seems a little maxed out. The vette has more that can be done to it. So my first place vote goes to the vette.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:37 AM   #71
stang351
AF Newbie

The Evo is a totally different car than the Cobra R and the Z06. The R and the Z06 are low end cars that launch hard and pull, the Evo is a high RPM car, though it has enough torque to mash you back in your seat, it is a car that has power at higher RPM's. I'd go with the R, its the muscle car in the group! I'd like to see the '07 Cobra come into this race, i hear the test mule is running 12.1 quarter mile.
Some of you would argue that the z06 is a muscle car, but its a sports carwith a muscle engine.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #72
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang

For 2nd I'm going to go with the evo and here is my reason why. The evo is a turbocharged 2.0 pumping out 400 ponies. That is impressive and I'd love to have one if I could get my hands on one. The thing is that engine probably has some stress put on it being so small and making so much power. The vette doesn't have as much stress put on it since it's a bigger engine and the power is distributed better. In the long run I think the evo would break down before the vette would. Plus the evo seems a little maxed out. The vette has more that can be done to it. So my first place vote goes to the vette.
I really don't know where you are getting your info about the 4G63 not being able to handle a measly 400HP (flywheel), especially when there are so many 4G63s out there making more than 400WHP, check out the magazine "Import Tuner" and you'll see an street driven EVO on the cover that makes more than 600WHP, check out the magazine "Modified" and you'll see another EVO that makes more than 600WHP. As you continue your search, you'll find car after car, the Galant VR4, to the Eclipse GTS/GSX, to the EVO that easily handles more than 400HP and more. So no, the EVO MR FQ400 is not even close to maxed out .

As far as 0-60, the EVO MR FQ400 does it in under 4 seconds, the Corvette ZO6 does it in around 4.2. The EVO does it so fast due to gearing and of course AWD. The EVO most likely runs the quicker 1/4 Mile times too, it probably is capable of low 12s consistently. The power of the EVO MR FQ400 is similiar to a Vishnu Stage 1+ EVO which makes around 340-350WHP (380-390 Flywheel HP) on a Mustang 2WD dyno. Those cars (Vishu Stage 1 +) consistently hit 0-60 in 3.5-3.8 Seconds, and run the 1/4 mile in 12.1 to 12.5 Seconds and trap at 110MPH to 114MPH. The Corvette runs similiar 1/4 mile times at 12.4 to 12.6 and trap at 110MPH to 116MPH. So the trap speeds of the cars are very similiar, so a race from a roll would be closer than one would suspect. I mean as I type right now, there might be a Vishnu Stage 1+ EVOs giving a ZO6 owner a run for their money, a 400HP MR FQ400 with countless amount of money and research done on it, would probably take that money.

Handling abilities is a tough category to measure, but I assure you the EVO MR FQ400 will beat a ZO6 around most courses, because the EVO MR FQ330 has already done this. Still say what you want, but a Zonda and Lamborghini have already been turned into believers, and I'm sure Mitsubishi wouldn't mind doing the same to Chevrolet.

As far as price, don't go there, because yes the EVO MR FQ400 does cost $80,000 in the UK, but the Corvette does too in the UK, so in reality they cost similiar prices believe it or not.

Styling and heritage is purely personal opinion, but I'd take the daily livability of the EVO MR FQ400 with room to fit five people over the looks of the Corvette. Yes, the Corvette does probably get better gas milage, but only if you drive it like your grandma, and most people would not.

So in my opinion the EVO MR FQ400 is more than a match for the 2004 ZO6 and can't wait for the 2006 ZO6.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:51 AM   #73
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: EVO MR FQ400 vs. Corvette Z06 vs. Mustang Cobra R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
As far as price, don't go there, because yes the EVO MR FQ400 does cost $80,000 in the UK, but the Corvette does too in the UK, so in reality they cost similiar prices believe it or not.

Styling and heritage is purely personal opinion, but I'd take the daily livability of the EVO MR FQ400 with room to fit five people over the looks of the Corvette. Yes, the Corvette does probably get better gas milage, but only if you drive it like your grandma, and most people would not.

So in my opinion the EVO MR FQ400 is more than a match for the 2004 ZO6 and can't wait for the 2006 ZO6.
I don't believe they cost the same price. On the first page I made note that the FQ400 cost approx. $13,000 USD more and a new C6 (around 20% more). After subtracting out the depreciation and wear, I could hardly see an 04 Z06 worth anymore (and especially the later models).

As far as track times, I wouldn't doubt (with 80%+ certainty)the FQ400 would pull faster times. I hate saying this since I'm a Vette fan (hense the avatar), but the FQ400 has the edge. What really hurts the Vette is lack of good gearing. 4th and 5th are wider to offset the worthless 6th gear for any type high speed acceleration. Why else would it get such high mpg numbers? If there were a more proper setup, this would make a much better comparision. But we can only take what they give us :

As much as you cannot wait for the 06 Z06, neither can I! Price will probably be more equal, and the new Z06 will be an all out improvment. 500hp 427cub, with claimed 5.7hp/lb. power/weight ratio will indistputably make this one heck of a speeder. January 10th is the first offical release of the new Vette. Then we can indulge ourselves with auto mag reviews . This will be the car to compete with the new Ferrari 430, and Ford GT IMO.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #74
Muscletang
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
I really don't know where you are getting your info about the 4G63 not being able to handle a measly 400HP (flywheel), especially when there are so many 4G63s out there making more than 400WHP, check out the magazine "Import Tuner" and you'll see an street driven EVO on the cover that makes more than 600WHP, check out the magazine "Modified" and you'll see another EVO that makes more than 600WHP. As you continue your search, you'll find car after car, the Galant VR4, to the Eclipse GTS/GSX, to the EVO that easily handles more than 400HP and more. So no, the EVO MR FQ400 is not even close to maxed out.
I never said the EVO couldn't handle the 400 hp it makes. I'm saying that it makes the same hp out of a smaller engine that has forced induction which puts more stress on it.
My point I was trying to make was I believe that over time the Corvette's engine will last longer than the EVO's. Each cylinder for the EVO makes 100 hp, compared to the 50 hp each of the Corvette's cylinders make.
If the EVO was modded to create 600 hp then that's 150 hp per cylinder in the EVO. The Corvette on the other hand would only have 75 hp per cylinder if it had 600 hp.
See the point I'm trying to make? I'm saying the EVO's engine has more stress put on it than the Corvette's and it just won't last as long.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #75
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscletang
I never said the EVO couldn't handle the 400 hp it makes. I'm saying that it makes the same hp out of a smaller engine that has forced induction which puts more stress on it.
My point I was trying to make was I believe that over time the Corvette's engine will last longer than the EVO's. Each cylinder for the EVO makes 100 hp, compared to the 50 hp each of the Corvette's cylinders make.
If the EVO was modded to create 600 hp then that's 150 hp per cylinder in the EVO. The Corvette on the other hand would only have 75 hp per cylinder if it had 600 hp.
See the point I'm trying to make? I'm saying the EVO's engine has more stress put on it than the Corvette's and it just won't last as long.
Hp/L isn't what makes an engine better than another. To make an argument based upon this (not pointing fingers at anyone) is being ignorant. Take a more dynamic approach to this and you'll realize the pros and cons to any setup be it pushrod or dual overhead. But the main point is to understand these pros and cons and incorporate them in the design of the car.

I wouldn't know the exact stresses the engine creates, but I do know that a pushrod engine has more reciprocating force to overcome rather a DOHC. This pretty much means it takes more work for a pushrod engine to create work vs. the DOHC engine (one reason for their inability to rev in accordance with an OHC). DOHC engine makes sacrifices of its own due to its design. Overall, they consume more engine bay space, CG, expense.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons