Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
zzpza
AF Regular

innovative photography

Hi,

I'm not really sure which forum to post this in, but I think this is the closest. I'm a very keen amateur photographer, and I'm always looking to add new techniques to my repertoire. I've done a fair few of the usual types of car pix - putting it in a cool location, getting really close with a wide angle lens, and a few more interesting pix like the one below.

(no manip)

If there's anyone who's got some good ideas to share, I'd be very interested to listen. I think my next approach will be pix from outside (but attached to) the car while it's moving.

Thanks!
Jules
'89 944 Turbo SE
'83 924 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
zzpza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
HighRev87
Banned

Re: innovative photography

Nice Pic.....

As for ideas, im not really sure if this is possible, but how do people get still to motion pictures? Like blurred background but perfectly still accelerating car. I think that is manip only. If you can do it, it would own, and id love to see some.
HighRev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #3
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec

I think it's got to do with shutter speed, i've seen something else like that before and it had to do with shutter speed.

BTW Cool pic.

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:51 AM   #4
ec437
AF Enthusiast

I've done it before. BTW, this thread should be in coffee break (off topic)>photography

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
Amea
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Amea

HighRev, depends on the shutter speed and the quality of the camera itself.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
jcz1987
AF Enthusiast

It will show blurred action if your shutter speed is set less than 1/125 sec. It looks like that is at least more than a 1 sec shutter speed.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #7
zzpza
AF Regular

Smile Re: Re: innovative photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
BTW, this thread should be in coffee break (off topic)>photography
Sorry, I must have missed this forum when I was searching for the right one to post in.. Thanx to the admin(s) for moving the thread.

Here's a slightly better pic than the one I originally posted:

Both pix were taken with an exposure of between 10 and 15 seconds. I was traveling quite fast at the time and the 'rocco had hard suspension so the softness of the interior isn't because it's out of focus, but due to motion blurr.

And here's a pic of the car I used:

If anyone's got any ideas for other cool effects without having to buy any expensive hardware, I'd be very interested to hear.

tnx,
Jules
'89 944 Turbo
'83 924 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
Old 10-06-2004, 04:19 AM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

I was thinking that was an amazingly sharp image of the dash for a 10sec exposure, you must have help the camera very steady.
Then I saw what you were in, possibly the softest riding car Iv ever driven.

What sort of Camera are you useing and how familiar are you with it?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:38 AM   #9
zzpza
AF Regular

sounds like the 'rocco you were in either had dampers that needed replacing or you're used to a bone shaking ride!

anyway, i digress... the camera was a canon g5 with the wide angle teleconverter attached to a manfrotto 055clb with a magnesium 3d head strapped to the passenger seat. i doubt there's any way you'd be able to get a pic anywhere near as sharp as that without attaching it to the car somehow. it's a very simple technique and easy for anyone with a tripod and camera with remote release to try out for themselves.

thanx,
jules
'89 944 Turbo SE
'83 824 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
Ex '91 Scirocco GT2
Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 AM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

I really like that second pic

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:46 AM   #11
zzpza
AF Regular

cheers dude!

thanx,
jules
'89 944 Turbo SE
'83 924 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
Ex '91 Scirocco GT2
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #12
zzpza
AF Regular

here's a few more hot off the camera...

this time the camera was sticking out the passenger window and then the sunroof.

i really want to get one where i can see the instruments in the dash lit up AND be able to see the bonnet (US:hood) as well as the road in front of the car. i guess i need to find someone with either a rag top or a dual sunroof car as the problem is i can't get the camera far enough back to fit it all in whilst still keeping it cropped fairly tight. i.e. if i used a wider lens, there's be way too much extra crap in the frame, which i don't want.

any ideas?

thanx,
jules
'89 944 Turbo SE
'83 924 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
Ex '91 Scirocco GT2
Old 10-07-2004, 11:30 PM   #13
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Well you will need a car with a high bonnet that dosn't slope away to quickly. The Scirocco is not really the right shape for that.
Then you need to get the camera basicly where the drivers eye are.
Prehaps secure the tripod to the back of the drivers seat and shoot over thier shoulder.

And don't worry about getting extra crap in the sides of the image, remember its ok to crop after you've taken the photo
Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 AM   #14
zzpza
AF Regular

hi moppie,

thanks for the suggestions however... i've already tried back of the drivers seat, all you get is headlining and sun visor. i want to be able to have an unobstructed view of the road ahead. plus the biggest problem with seats is that they move going round corners. not by much, but enough.

it wasn't the scirocco! the scirocco's red... and i sold it over a year ago.

i crop in the camera. i only do post processing of the image as a last resort. i'm used to taking photo's the old fashioned way. i just need to position the camera correctly and securely while still being able to fire it.

all,

next idea - from in front of the car looking back. i need to attach the camera to the front of the car, but obviously i don't want it bouncing around OR falling off! i think a bit of photochopping is going to be inevitable to remove camera support from the finished picture.

anyone got any bright ideas on how to affix the camera to the car? ideally i'd like the camera about 1m in front of the car, but realistically it's probably only going to be about 30 / 40cm. i can use the front towing eye, but it's not going to be very stable with only one mounting point... any ideas? that don't involve welding...

thanx,
jules
'89 944 Turbo SE
'83 924 Lux 140bhp
'87 635CSi
Ex '91 Scirocco GT2
Old 10-08-2004, 03:32 AM   #15
Moppie
Master Connector

Lots and lots of duct tape, also known as duck tape, 100mph tape, and race tape.

It will hold a light weight G series anywhere, the only problem will be getting the sticky stuff off the camera and car once your done.
Not to mention firing the camera! (I assume you have a remote?)

Some simple lengths of wooden doweling should be enough to hold the camera, then use a removable tripod head to attach the camera to the wood useing tape, and the dowelling to the car.
Build a tripod type arrangement out the front and it will be rigidly fixed to the car, making the car in focus.

Also try shooting at a wider apature to reduce your shutter open time, and so reduce the possiblity of camera shake.

To get the dash, front of car, road shot have you tried putting the camera further back in the middle of the car? You could use the center consol (depending on car) to secure the tripod.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic