Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 03:52 PM   #16
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Pretty much all of you in this thread are idiots. The Z06 has a much bigger motor than the 360; of course it will have more power. The 360 was not built to go fast in a straight line. It was made to go fast around the turns and I'm afraid that the Z06 can't touch it there. Go ahead and argue with me because I know you will since everybody knows that there isn't a car on the face of the earth that can out-handle the Z06.

I am sorry but the Z06 might have the 360 beat in acceleration, but the 360 looks far better than the plain uninspiring design of the Z06, it is far more exclusive and unique, the fit and finish is far better, and it is better on the track. The only thing the Z06 really has going for it is the price and even that to me that is meaningless.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #17
MexSiR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to MexSiR
Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon

Pretty much all of you in this thread are idiots. The Z06 has a much bigger motor than the 360; of course it will have more power. The 360 was not built to go fast in a straight line. It was made to go fast around the turns and I'm afraid that the Z06 can't touch it there. Go ahead and argue with me because I know you will since everybody knows that there isn't a car on the face of the earth that can out-handle the Z06.

I am sorry but the Z06 might have the 360 beat in acceleration, but the 360 looks far better than the plain uninspiring design of the Z06, it is far more exclusive and unique, the fit and finish is far better, and it is better on the track. The only thing the Z06 really has going for it is the price and even that to me that is meaningless.
STOP saying that all people here are idiots, although I havent posted in this thread, I can say you are one.

"The Z06 has a much bigger motor than the 360; of course it will have more power."

Thats so lame man, thats such a stupid sentence, so stupid!!!....
Mmm...lets take an example, take a mustang with a 3.8 liter engine v6 producing less than 200 hp, now take a honda 2.0 s2000 producing 240 hp. Mmmm sounds weird...Of course more displacement DOES NOT equal more power, and stop saying people here are stupid, as far as im concerned we know more about cars than you do...
Porsche RS America
BMW 323 01
Pictures of my ride (Pictures)
MexSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #18
Polygon
The Red Baron

Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexSiR
STOP saying that all people here are idiots, although I havent posted in this thread, I can say you are one.

"The Z06 has a much bigger motor than the 360; of course it will have more power."

Thats so lame man, thats such a stupid sentence, so stupid!!!....
Mmm...lets take an example, take a mustang with a 3.8 liter engine v6 producing less than 200 hp, now take a honda 2.0 s2000 producing 240 hp. Mmmm sounds weird...Of course more displacement DOES NOT equal more power, and stop saying people here are stupid, as far as im concerned we know more about cars than you do...
Hey noobie, stop for a second and think about what you just said. You don't know me, so don't pretend that you do. Stick around for a while before lodging your foot in your mouth. I hate to break it to you but more displacement does equal more power. Granted simply increasing the displacement doesn't mean that you just get more power. You used a poor example since the V6 in the mustang is a horrible engine with poor engineering and tuning while the S2000's 6 cylinder is quite the opposite. You can only get so much power from smaller displacement engines reliably. Granted the 360 was also tuned and designed for top end more than acceleration. Its smaller displacement is simply one of the factors. I'm sorry if my post pissed you off, but I am sick and tired of the Z06 people giving themselves pats on the back prematurely. As for my intelligence, you don't become a Moderator here by being stupid, so I would say there are a lot of people that will disagree with you on that aspect here. Also, I didn't say everyone that has posted in this thread was stupid, I said some. So pull your head out of your butt and stop flaming people.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #19
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but more displacement does equal more power. Granted simply increasing the displacement doesn't mean that you just get more power. You used a poor example since the V6 in the mustang is a horrible engine with poor engineering and tuning while the S2000's 6 cylinder is quite the opposite. You can only get so much power from smaller displacement engines reliably. Granted the 360 was also tuned and designed for top end more than acceleration. Its smaller displacement is simply one of the factors.
Yeah displacement does equal more power, if tuned properly. The 360 Modena 3.6L V8 is a great engine, as is the LS6.

I think you may have a typo here though, an S2000 is a 4cyl, and yes, the mustang V6 is horrible. (at least i think it is)

I don't however think that a Modena can oust a Z06 on a track. The new Z06 ran a 7:56 on the Nuerburgring, the best time I could find for the Modena was an 8:09. If you could find a better time for the Modena post it cause thats the best I could find.

But I would go for the looks of a Modena over the Z06 anyday, their just to sweet.
Kurtdg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
MioCLK
AF Enthusiast

When takling about performance, Z06 certainly has the advantage and it sure is the car to go for if that is all a person cares. The Z06 is in a class of its own within its price range.
But the Z06 loses its advantage when it comes to other things.
Although they both offer great V8 engines, but the Modena offers a much more hi-tech and costly engine, with 5 valves per cylinder and pumping out more than 100bhp per litre.
The Z06 does have one of the best tuned OHV engine, but not quite up to the level of the DOHC V8 inside the Modena.
Also the interor, as it would be pretty important for when someone spends $150,000 on a road-car.
The 360 Modena is more unique, and almost everything could be made to the customer's choice. This is also what people might look for when they spend this kind of money.
With the 360 Modena costing nearly 3 times more than the Z06, it pretty much explains that these two cars are for people in two different world.
As I still believe what you get what you pay for.
I would not consider a 20k car when I could afford one at 60k.
No matter what, it is always nice to find out how a lower priced car and outperform a car costing 3 times as much and this is what the American automakers are offering now.
Proving to other automakers that "we can burn your a$$ with more $$$ in yuor own pocket"
MioCLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM   #21
Polygon
The Red Baron

Re: Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
Yeah displacement does equal more power, if tuned properly. The 360 Modena 3.6L V8 is a great engine, as is the LS6.

I think you may have a typo here though, an S2000 is a 4cyl, and yes, the mustang V6 is horrible. (at least i think it is)

I don't however think that a Modena can oust a Z06 on a track. The new Z06 ran a 7:56 on the Nuerburgring, the best time I could find for the Modena was an 8:09. If you could find a better time for the Modena post it cause thats the best I could find.

But I would go for the looks of a Modena over the Z06 anyday, their just to sweet.
Sorry, yes, the S2000 does have a 4 cylinder. I don't really pay attention to times like that. Conditions and drivers adversly change things. What I would trust is a side by side run done with the same driver.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:43 PM   #22
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
What I would trust is a side by side run done with the same driver.
That's definatly the best way to solve this. I don't belive mere words can establish victory, but until then, i'm holding to my opinion.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:50 PM   #23
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19

make that the 04 commemorative edition z06, cause thats the yr, and model they tested, i dont know about the regular 04 z06, but i think thats about as fast, commemorative being probably a little quicker, cause of the lighter parts it has. the previous z06 vettes, below 04, probably wont be able to make that time, cause they changed some things on the suspension for all the 04 vettes, i dont know if it was just the z06 or all vettes, but it was the 04. they said that change made a big difference on the track.

i think that the new 360 modena challenge stradale, is a more fair comparison vs the z06, since they re both a more performance oriented version of the original car. its more expensive, but it makes more sense to take the performance versions of both. i dont think ferrari made the original modena a pure performance machine, they probably detuned it a little, or less track ready, to make it more drivable on the road, where the challenge stradale is more performance, like the z06 version of the c5 vette.
OoNismoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 02:33 AM   #24
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

the 360 challenge is even more money though... it's a cool 225k... y don't you just compare a jaguar xj220 to a z06. once again the comparison between the 360 modena and the z06 is strictly in personal preference (luxury to speed)
VenomInMyVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 03:37 AM   #25
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

how come i just read something that said the 2000 360 modena runs the 1/4 in 12.2 thats not right is it?
youngvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:56 AM   #26
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Good to see Polygon put some intellegence in this god-forsaken thread.

The 360 Modena is $100k more than a ZO6 and it feeld like it is worth much more than that- firstly- it uses a DOHC V8- as opposed to a low-tech old school OHV. Secondly the cars handling setup is far superior to the ZO6- MR driven train and track-bred suspension that can handle conditions other than Americas billiard-table smooth highways. Then there is the clear message that the Modena is light years ahead of MR Plastic-fantastic in terms of quality- using PROPER materials...........

So while a ZO6 will blow off a 360 at the lights- any closer inspection of the two shows the ZO6 clearly as the inferior car.........

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #27
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Good to see Polygon put some intellegence in this god-forsaken thread.

The 360 Modena is $100k more than a ZO6 and it feeld like it is worth much more than that- firstly- it uses a DOHC V8- as opposed to a low-tech old school OHV. Secondly the cars handling setup is far superior to the ZO6- MR driven train and track-bred suspension that can handle conditions other than Americas billiard-table smooth highways. Then there is the clear message that the Modena is light years ahead of MR Plastic-fantastic in terms of quality- using PROPER materials...........

So while a ZO6 will blow off a 360 at the lights- any closer inspection of the two shows the ZO6 clearly as the inferior car.........
Well you'll be wishing you had OHV when your oil pressure is to low to lubricate your cam, thats an expensive repair.

I think the reason that a Z06 is far inferior may be due to the price difference. Once again performance doesn't reflect 'plastic-fantastic', thats hardly an argument as far as performance comparision.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #28
VenomInMyVeins
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: z06 vs modena

Oh wow... the Z06 has an inferior engine?!? Are you serious? I didn't know that! (pardon the sarcasm) That seems to be the only major plus in this car (plastic sidepaneling on the interior and the worst leather seats known to man among other things) The LS6 is a fairly widely used tuner engine especially for american exotics and kit cars (don't laugh). Among these would be Callaway's C12, and Mosler's MT 900 Photon. I'm a viper fan true to heart, but the engine of a z06 is impressive out of the box, and it's very versatile. Don't knock it boys and girls until you know what all it can do. (Just remember Einstein failed science) Just because it may not be amazing to start with doesn't mean it doesn't have the most potential out of any v8 (contest that!)
VenomInMyVeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:46 PM   #29
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1

Quote:

It may be larger in volume, but in physical dimensions it takes up about as much room, being that OHV is much more space efficient. As to the track times, they've been proven, aruge if you like it won't make you right, unless now the ring is a poor test of handling ability?

If price is meaningless, then go buy a mclaren, otherwise ignoring price is a cop out, the Z06 performs with the 360 for less then 1/4 the price, looks are subjective and fit & finish is a dash grabbers argument (besides that, I dont know who says a 360s interior is high quality or luxurious, it's as spartan as the Z06's), get some better arguments, just say you like the car better and leave it at that, you have no proof of anything otherwise.

Jimster, rampant bias (or lack of knowledge, or both) continues to amaze me. OHV is in the range of 10-15 years older then OHC is, both were made before the turn of the 1900s, and both are old school. OHV has many benefits, and if you don't require multiple valves, high RPM or variable valve timing (which you can still effectivly do on a single cam, it just isn't as useful) then you don't need DOHC. The LS6 has a large bore allowing for large valves, which solves the lack of multiple valve flow problem, it doesn't need high RPM because of it's displacement, and while VVT would be nice, it obviously isn't hurting the motor any. It gets better fuel mileage (a viable engine feature, even in a sportscars case) has more power potential, and produces as much power in a lower RPM range.

If you'd like to truly add something to this thread, why don't you find the 360's engine weight and we can throw that into the mix as well, I've ben unsuccessful so far.

Nismo, the 04 Z06 recieved no changes in suspenision, and save for the commemorative editions 10 lb lighter hood it's the same as the Z06, the base C5 models had the magnetic ride controlled shocks added as an option, it is not standard nor available on the Z06. Besides that, the commemorative hasn't been proven to outlap the regular Z06, the hood could help it's laptimes, but the difference would not be anything major.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 02:12 AM   #30
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYRHWK1
It may be larger in volume, but in physical dimensions it takes up about as much room, being that OHV is much more space efficient. As to the track times, they've been proven, aruge if you like it won't make you right, unless now the ring is a poor test of handling ability?

If price is meaningless, then go buy a mclaren, otherwise ignoring price is a cop out, the Z06 performs with the 360 for less then 1/4 the price, looks are subjective and fit & finish is a dash grabbers argument (besides that, I dont know who says a 360s interior is high quality or luxurious, it's as spartan as the Z06's), get some better arguments, just say you like the car better and leave it at that, you have no proof of anything otherwise.

Jimster, rampant bias (or lack of knowledge, or both) continues to amaze me. OHV is in the range of 10-15 years older then OHC is, both were made before the turn of the 1900s, and both are old school. OHV has many benefits, and if you don't require multiple valves, high RPM or variable valve timing (which you can still effectivly do on a single cam, it just isn't as useful) then you don't need DOHC. The LS6 has a large bore allowing for large valves, which solves the lack of multiple valve flow problem, it doesn't need high RPM because of it's displacement, and while VVT would be nice, it obviously isn't hurting the motor any. It gets better fuel mileage (a viable engine feature, even in a sportscars case) has more power potential, and produces as much power in a lower RPM range.

If you'd like to truly add something to this thread, why don't you find the 360's engine weight and we can throw that into the mix as well, I've ben unsuccessful so far.

Nismo, the 04 Z06 recieved no changes in suspenision, and save for the commemorative editions 10 lb lighter hood it's the same as the Z06, the base C5 models had the magnetic ride controlled shocks added as an option, it is not standard nor available on the Z06. Besides that, the commemorative hasn't been proven to outlap the regular Z06, the hood could help it's laptimes, but the difference would not be anything major.
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot- the ZO6 is the handling supremo of the world- nothing can play it down- sheeit an idiot driving a ZO6 could fry Schumacher in an Enzo- silly me how dare I ever question the obvious supremity of the Corvette. And of course the interior is made of nothing but the finest Aluminium and Outback Leather and premium New Zealand wool for the carpets, oh and the most important thing for any High-performance car buyer?? GREAT GAS MILEAGE- I mean damn to think that isn't an issue when you are flogging the ass off your high-performance car would be completely moronic. That is generally what you are trying to say.......

And the reason that there is more tuning potential for the LS6 comes down to a vaster aftermarket- If a company can pull huge bhp gains out of a B18c- then whats stoppig them modifying a 360 Modena??? to that extent- by the looks of your post you appear to be saying that you can't modify one :huh: Koenig have proved that you can.

And nobody can really say that the ZO6 handles better than the ZO6- there are too many variables to take into account- that we just can't put down to numbers- as told in the Murcielago vs ZO6 thread- there are factors like who drove what (IF they were driven around the ring by the same driver then that cancels out somewhat) the Engine power/size/torque- which in this case figures in the equation- due to the ZO6 being brawnier- if the 360 had similar engine figures to the ZO6 would the numbers still weigh in the ZO6's favour???? we don't know- two evenly powered/torqued cars around the same track with the same driver is the only way you'll find which chassis is superior........So nobody can claim either is a better handler unless they have driven both (and I have only driven a 360- but no ZO6- just a regular C5- WHICH is inferior to the 360- but not too similar enough to the ZO6) I'm hoping you have driven a 360 FYRHWK1- or else your opinion is redundant to me.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons