Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Graphic Manipulation
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Graphic Manipulation Post and discuss different automotive art works- photoshopped, 3d graphics, and hand-drawn.
View Poll Results: Rank this car
#1 Car ever 0 0%
Top 3 0 0%
Top 5 0 0%
Top 10 0 0%
Top 25 0 0%
Top 50 0 0%
Top100 0 0%
Top 250 0 0%
Top 500 0 0%
Below top 500 1 1.23%
I like the Inferno design best http://phantom.ssip.net/Inferno/ 0 0%
I like the Predator design better http://phantom.ssip.net/Predator/ 0 0%
I like the Assault design better http://phantom.ssip.net/Assault/ 0 0%
I like the Panther design better http://phantom.ssip.net/Panther/ 0 0%
I'm a total idiot and don't like any of them. http://IAmATotalMoron.InneedAbrainSuergon.com/ 1 1.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 01:07 PM   #61
spaghetti
AF Newbie

And how exactly am I still insulting you??? Yeah- good one- no explaination as usual.....

And I never insinuated that sketching should be a work of art- although in essence, it is an art in itself. My point about that sketch is not just the quality of it, but the general design that's within it. I won't go into these, as you won't want to hear them...

I'm not going to bother emailing you- I've already said all I've wanted to say. And stop it with the Mitsubishi remarks- please!! It's just laughable. You're just making it up as you go along now....
spaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 12:27 AM   #62
PhantomDesign
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to PhantomDesign Send a message via MSN to PhantomDesign
I'm not sure how I should reply considering I'm not interested in flame wars. I guess I'll just say it really doesn't matter (here) who is right and who is wrong (assuming it can be summarized like that).

I wasn’t making stuff up. I would think part of being a car designer would be having the ability/flexibility to port any styling to all types of vehicles and technologies. At least that is what I try to do (you’ll see a good example when my van project is complete[too many projects, not enough space on the clock]). I could be talking about a different type of designer than you may be talking about. I suppose that depends if your focus is on your sketch (or in rare cases the 3D model) compared to focusing on the entire product. The difference between creating lines in unrestricted space and having the ability to squeeze through or climb over obstacles, reaching the goal while properly recognizing your environment. If that doesn’t define a designer, it may be what separates the mediocre from the elite. From my perspective I’m not making stuff up, but merely fulfilling one of my basic self-imposed requirements. That’s just my view, what is your opinion about this?

If I ever decided to show my sketches I doubt you’d offer high praise, but you wouldn’t downgrade them as useless, pathetic, or horrific either.

www.GryphonAuto.com
PhantomDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 09:49 PM   #63
Gunman
AF Newbie

Just tossing this out again, incase it was overlooked in the flames. If it was overlooked because you prefer not to answer, thats understood.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunman
I'm curious, and excuse me if this is too far off topic, but do you have actual clients? No need to name names, confidentiality is understood, I'm just curious if you already have clients, or if your intent with these designs is attract clients (similar to how B. Engineering went about it, but without producing a physical part). If you have clients in the auto industry, are they large corps., or small niche manufacturers?

On a side note, the headlights look low on the car in the video. Scale is hard to judge, but they look like they are under the legal limit. No biggie for concepts, but could be a downstream pain in the arse.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 10:31 PM   #64
PhantomDesign
AF Regular

Sorry about that dude. Didn't mean to ignore you. Just the stupid flamer. I still have no clue why he posted here or what his point was or how he was suppose to help me.

Actual Clients? Yes Past that I won't answer. I can / am willing to do work for any sort of client. Small clients have the advantage where I can design a car that is built for them specifically, and through various interview techniques, it is not hard to make something that is more appealing to them (not necessarily anyone else) than any other car. Larger Clients (with more cash) can get designs that would be highly appealing to whatever their focus group is. Generally the result would be much higher quality, as I would be constantly communicating with their engineers and others within the company. Of course existing designs that are on my site are as available as any custom design project.

I don't know about the headlights being too low except it'd be hard to make them much higher at all. I think I'd have to redesign the full curvature of that panel to match lights placed higher up. Something I could do if necessary, but if I was to make it fit a set of technical specifications, I'd want to do a lot at once.

www.GryphonAuto.com
Old 07-09-2003, 12:39 AM   #65
carsncars
AF Newbie

Sorry I but I have to say this one last time...

Yes there can be ugly sketches but at least make them something new! It's not 'art' if it's not yours. If it looks horrible to the eye, who cares? It's the idea! I'd like it better if your renders were awful but the designs are fresh and new! The van is nuthin new either, looks like a meld of some euro and american minivans, sorry to say.

Hopefully my last post on that note...
Old 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #66
PhantomDesign
AF Regular

And I again proved why I don't give my sketches much merit. They never convey the true idea. Take a look at...

Do any of you see the curves that make this look quite different from a viper? Probably not. I doubt many of you could recognsie the difference between my cut lines and my shape or implied lines. I sketch mostly for myself. So, without explanation, I dont expect any of my sketches to make sense. I wounldn't expect any of you to understand anything untill you see it in 3D.

I suppose that if I explained that the lines for the hood intake and the side intake were not very solid at all, and quite smoothly curved, more a form than a cut shape, then you would look at the sketch quite differently.

www.GryphonAuto.com
Old 07-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #67
carsncars
AF Newbie

ack! sorry I have to say this again

work on your sketching- once you have it down it's much better! 3D is mostly for once the design proposed is finished- maye a rough 3D model to 'present'.

as for that 'not being able to understand it' thing, why can we understand professional sketches? they practice so that they can convey their ideas well down onto paper, certain little things contribute to the 'mood' of the car- the angle, exagerration, etc. you need to shy away from making you sketches look like blueprints- stylize them more to show us the mood of your car- sporty, elegant, etc. for a sportier car, I would make it look eager to step in- a more sleek car would be a lower, smoother style. compare the first sketch to the last drawing. and so on and so forth.

besides, back to the originality thing- it looks like a cross between a ferarri f50 and, old spec viper, and the headlamps off an mgf.

try freeing up your lines a lot. not so sketchy- plus, don't use your eraser! try drawing without your arm and hand touching the paper... and try pen

here's sum of mine- the first two are rough sketches, the second two are nicer close-to renders. the supercar is hardly anything new, though. :P just one for my friend it got streched i just noticed....

btw- i'm new to this! i'm thirteen. if you want some people who really know their stuff, go back to those 'immature' people a cdn!
Attached Images
File Type: gif examp.gif (62.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #68
spaghetti
AF Newbie

Hmm... Should really resize that pic (and rotate it)- easily done in Photoshop. Change DPI first to 72 (screen resolution), then width to about 800 should suffice for most computers. I've taken the liberty to do it for you here......

[IMG]ftp://pcdan.myftp.org/reefer/New%20Folder/Viper01.jpg[/IMG]

I thought I might also add a few strokes of my own (hope you don't mind..)

[IMG]ftp://pcdan.myftp.org/reefer/New%20Folder/Viper02.jpg[/IMG]

So here's the mine on its own, without the underlay:

[IMG]ftp://pcdan.myftp.org/reefer/New%20Folder/Viper03.jpg[/IMG]

Something as simple as a quick line drawing (I've done mine on computer) will convey more ideas than hours of labouring on a computer....
Use my sketch as an underlay- print it out, and place it under a sheet of marker paper and sketch away your ideas on top.......
Old 08-22-2003, 04:45 AM   #69
PhantomDesign
AF Regular

Sorry, but I didnt realise you had replied. Could you post the pictures agian?

www.GryphonAuto.com
Old 08-22-2003, 09:27 PM   #70
CivicLeader
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CivicLeader Send a message via Yahoo to CivicLeader
Hate to tell ya' this but the pic's aren't showing up and non-clickable...
CL
CivicLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:56 AM   #71
Import_Tuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Import_Tuner Send a message via MSN to Import_Tuner
Hey
Yup I cant see them or the site.......

--Chris
Proud Moderator of Banzai Magazine Forum
http://www.banzaimagazine.com
Import_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:29 AM   #72
spaghetti
AF Newbie

That pic's been up a while now....
It was hosted on my friend's FTP server which he's now shut down for good.....I'll have a look see to see where else I can post it