Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
curly bo
AF Newbie

1987 legend transmission problem

I have a 1987 legend LS with automatic transmission that does`t shift up from first gear. When i select third or fourth on shifter it starts off in first gear as it should, but won`t shift up. When i select second gear ( the lowest option on selector) it will drive in second gear as it should. I don`t think the shift linkage is the problem. Is there anything i can do besides changing tranny`s
curly bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
Chiptech13
AF Newbie

Re: 1987 legend transmission problem

Doesn't sound all that good the lack of response to curly bo's auto transmission troubles back on 06-18-2008.
Hmmm, my car just started these symptoms just today but was fine yesterday and ECU only flashes an oxygen sensor trouble code.
Possibly anyone have an idea?

"
curly bo
06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a 1987 legend LS with automatic transmission that doesn’t shift up from first gear. When I select third or fourth on shifter it starts off in first gear as it should, but won`t shift up. When I select second gear (the lowest option on selector) it will drive in second gear as it should. I don`t think the shift linkage is the problem. Is there anything I can do besides changing tranny`s
"
How does one troubleshoot something like this?
Thanks!
Chiptech13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
bamajim
AF Newbie

The shift problem comes from the transmission solenoids failing. Sometimes removing and cleaning them will solve the problem. The car should have two sets of them. I think the one you are having problem with is the pair that is mounted lowest. Removal involves removing air filter housing and some surrounding fittings to get to them. Then unplug harness and remove two or three bolts and carefully slide them off so as not to damage the gaskets or the two small dime size screens that filter the fluid. Clean them by spraying carb or brake cleaner. Also you can test for function by grounding them and applying 12 volts. You will hear a solid click if functioning properly. No click, no upshift. Hope this helps.
bamajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Chiptech13
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajim View Post
The shift problem comes from the transmission solenoids failing. Sometimes removing and cleaning them will solve the problem. The car should have two sets of them. I think the one you are having problem with is the pair that is mounted lowest. Removal involves removing air filter housing and some surrounding fittings to get to them. Then unplug harness and remove two or three bolts and carefully slide them off so as not to damage the gaskets or the two small dime size screens that filter the fluid. Clean them by spraying carb or brake cleaner. Also you can test for function by grounding them and applying 12 volts. You will hear a solid click if functioning properly. No click, no upshift. Hope this helps.
Thanks much for your info bamajim! I'll give that a shot and let you know.
Chiptech13 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Legend | RL