Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
chato de shamrock
AF Regular

Grex Airbrush Combo Kit advise

Hi folks, I need your suggestions/advise on this kit. I was at my local hobby shop yesterday afternoon buying some paints when I got to talking with the cashier about replicating a paint job of a car whose picture I had on my phone. Somewhere in the conversation we got to talking about airbrushing and I told him my issue with airbrushes. I live in an apartment. I don't have much space for a tank of air or CO2 and I don't want to be a bother with the noise (large) compressors create. So as much as I'd like to branch out to airbrushing I feel my options are limited to spray cans and painting at night when everyone has their windows and doors closed and sleeping.

Well next to the counter he had a box by Grex. I got the name down but stupid me, I forgot to get the model number down. He said it retailed for $500 and they were selling the kits for $250 until closing time Sunday (today). It's the kit with the airbrush, compressor, hose, paint containers, etc. I went on Grex's website and looked up their kits. Seems the GCK01 model ( http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/gck01.php5 ) is the kit that retails for $500. The cashier told me it was all i needed, no tanks of CO2 and they ran pretty quiet with a saleperson from Grex showed up and demonstrated the kit to them. According to the website, the compressor runs at 55 decibels. I downloaded an app a few hours ago and checked just how loud that was using my television. Not bad.

So my questions are, has anyone played with these kits by Grex before? I searched "Grex" on this forum, read many of the threads and found some of you find it a decent brand. Is the $250 price tag a go or pass on this kit? Is it worth it for my hobbying interests? I only build model cars, but in the past I've been interested in building the military ships and aircraft but never have because i'm restricted to spray cans. If i ever get to the point of owning an airbrush that will basically be how far i see myself branching out, so I don't see myself needing some heavy duty Home Depot compressor. Final question, aside from this sale, have any of you guys found kits also selling for under $300 (factor in the cost of tax and possible shipping fees) that would be just as good or better then this kit by Grex? Basically that's the unexpected debt I'm willing to add on my C.C. right now.

Before walking into the shop I didn't plan on buying any airbrushing tools, kits, accessories, etc so I wasn't doing any homework on what's good and what price ranges things are at. So this past 3 or so hours I've been looking around and it seems the airbrushes alone can run in the low to mid $100 to start, and kits seem to be from the mid $300's and upwards. Again, that's just from researching and youtube-ing for about the past 3 hours.

Is this worth getting or a pass? Thanks in advanced for your input guys.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
935k3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Grex Airbrush Combo Kit advise

That's good deal. The airbrush alone is around 200USD. I have a NEO for Iwata aversion of the trigger style. You will love it. It feels better and is easier to control than the button type airbrush. parts availability and price is also something to consider. Here is a quick review of the set. http://www.modelretailer.com/en/The%...bo%20pack.aspx
935k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have the Grex pistol grip and the Grex compressor. So far I think it is good. The one thing that drives me nuts is the electrical cord and the air hose come out of opposite ends. I would prefer them both to exit the same side so I don't have hoses or cord coming out the front. But this is only a minor issue.

The O rings that come with the Grex will be melted by lacquer thinner. I just replaced them with different o rings I had and it's not a problem. So far it's a very nice airbrush.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
chato de shamrock
AF Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and bought the kit, but it turns out it was the GCK03 kit so I spend about $50 extra, still within budget. I have a follow up question for all you guys. I have an idea of a paint color i'd like to apply on one of my next models, something in the area of candy red or the red car on this website ( http://www.legitmanila.com/vip-propo...s-philippines/ ). Any suggestions to achieve that color? I noticed House of Color has a couple colors close to this red, but i'm not sure how friendly that paint is on plastic models nor do I know what clear would work well with that brand.

I've been searching around for a couple of days now, looking into Badger paints, Createx, Grex private stock, zero paints, everything coast airbrush sells as well as hiroboy. Turns out hiroboy's website says they cant ship to the U.S. and I google searched and found a forum that covered this subject. Someone mentioned spotmodel.com. So my question is, has anyone in the US shopped from them? If so, what was your experience? I didnt find any reviews on Grex's paints and the verdict on Createx seems to be iffy. What brands do you folks use to airbrush your models bodies?

Lastly guys, since I was stuck to spray cans i normally used Mr Hobby, Tamiya and Testors One Coat Lacquer brands of clear coats. I've come across a couple of you guys mention 2K and as of now have just done one quick google search on it. I found it in spray can form made by Spray Max. Is this what you guys use?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
modellmaker.
AF Regular

Hi,

Can't you go to auto repair shop or a car painter for the color?
Maybe a car painter can make this color for you.

modellmaker.

Twitter, Instagram: #modellmaker
modellmaker. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
JimboCO
AF Regular

Try Scalefinishes
JimboCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
88Porsche944
AF Regular