Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 03:39 PM   #1
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
Question dodge daytona turbo

my civic may be totaled thanks to some drunk dick, all the engine work in the world didn't save it in a milti-car crash. Now i need a new car, i want somethin alittle smarter to work on than a Honda. is the dodge daytona turbo a smart choice? i'mlookin to spend only about 5000$. What year should i be looking for? whats the differnce between the daytona 2.2 turbo and the shelby edition 2.5 turbo? which one should i buy? do either come with a manuel transmission? whats the stock Hp and what kind of money do i have to spend to get real results, say 300hp?
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #2
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Well, you have come to the right place. Here is the config you really want to look for.

I would look for an 89+ with a 2.2L I4. I would also only get one with the 5 speed manual. The case here is; if you bought the Automatic you got the 2.5L I4. It was a Mitsubishi engine and turbo. The problem with that; it was non-intercooled, and I haven't heard too many good things about the engine or the turbo. If you bought the five speed manual you got the Chrysler 2.2L I4 with a Garret T03 intercooled turbo. Stock the car will produce 174HP and 210 foot pounds of torque. You can quickly get over 300HP out of the 2.2L turbo. Here is a site that will give you a complete build up to get as much as about 450-500HP out of that 2.2L engine.

Forward Motion.

You could also get a 1994 Daytona Iroc which has a 3.0L V6 with a bigger Garret turbo that pumps out about 224HP and I am not sure of the torque. I hear that they are high maintenance though.

Also, one question for you. Have you ever owned a turbocharged car before?

Last edited by Polygon; 07-05-2002 at 03:15 AM.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:08 AM   #3
Hudson
Old Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon
Well, you have come to the right place. Here is the config you really want to look for.

I would look for an 89+ with a 2.2L I4. I would also only get one with the 5 speed manual. The case here is; if you bought the Automatic you got the 2.5L I4. It was a Mitsubishi engine and turbo. The problem with that; it was non-intercooled, and I haven't heard too many good things about the engine or the turbo. If you bought the five speed manual you got the Chrysler 2.2L I4 with a Garret T04 intercooled turbo. Stock the car will produce 174HP and 210 foot pounds of torque. You can quickly get over 300HP out of the 2.2L turbo. Here is a site that will give you a complete build up to get as much as about 450-500HP out of that 2.2L engine.

Forward Motion.

You could also get a 1994 Daytona Iroc which has a 3.0L V6 with a bigger Garret turbo that pumps out about 224HP and I am not sure of the torque. I hear that they are high maintenance though.

Also, one question for you. Have you ever owned a turbocharged car before?
I beg to differ on one point. The 2.5L four-cylinder in 1980/1990s cars was NOT a Mitsubishi engine. All turbocharged engines used in Chrysler-built products were Chrysler engines. The 2.2L and 2.5L were the same engine, the 2.5L had a longer stroke.

The confusion here comes because when the 2.2L was introduced in the early K-Cars, the optional engine was a Mitsubishi 2.6L engine. It was not offered in turbocharged form in Chrysler-built cars (Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Conquests used the 2.6L turbo, but they were built by Mitsubishi).

The Daytona and Spirit R/T that had the 224hp engine did NOT have the 3.0L V6. Only four-cylinder engines were turbocharged in Chrysler-built FWD cars. The engine offered in these cars was the 224hp 2.2L 16-valve engine, not the 3.0L (Mitsubishi-built) V6, which was always offered non-turbocharged on North American-built Chrysler vehicles.

Another idea for working up a 2.2L/2.5L Chrysler motor is to get one of the two 16-valve heads that were designed for the engine. I've seen the Lotus-designed head at swap meets. There was also a Maserati-designed 16-valve head, but it's much more rare.

In working up a 2.2L/2.5L motor, the engine won't be the problem. The weakest link here will be the transaxle.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #4
Polygon
The Red Baron

There has never been a 2.6L engine in any K frame. I have talked with many engine builders that say the 2.5L is a Mitsubishi engine. I was wrong on the Daytona Iroc though. It does have a 2.2L with a Lotus head. I still don't think that it is a good option because I hear they like to snap the timing belt. I still think the best option is the 2.2L with a Garret T03 turbo. They are the most reliable.

EDIT:

I must correct myself again. The 2.5 was a Chrysler engine but the turbo was a Mitsubishi, as for the 2.6, I have just come across a car with the 2.6L and must apologize, you are correct sir.

Last edited by Polygon; 07-05-2002 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #5
daytonashelby2.5
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to daytonashelby2.5
hay i was just reading tyour stuff on another page ya the timing belt is a big issue but not hard to replace

but about the 2.5L turbo it is posible to get good power out of it you see the 2.5 is good for low end power much more power at low end

my specs are

original mitsu runing 20 psi
ajustable fuel regulator larger injectors from shelby under pully full 3 inch exust and downpipe catless port head and intake outlet hole on the exust enlaged using tdo3 garret casing j&e pistons from motion performance intercooler from shelby z with water pump connected with a casing outside the intercooler <<that one was tuff took me a week got the water pump out of an old refigerator took a set of 8.8 mm wires and conveted the ends thanks to my freind rob or you can find an old 1960 dodge or chrysler v6 car and change the rotor hope that comes in handy for some of u
daytonashelby2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
crazydodge
AF Newbie

dodge daytona

speeking of the 2.5 i had an 89 with a 2.5 trottle body. It had plenty of low end power and still did 125 easy even with the trottle body and no turbo. but in all fact I like my 2.2 better.
crazydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
88shelbyz
AF Newbie

Re: dodge daytona turbo

real quick, i have an 88 shelby z that likes to overheat it jerks
violently when it gets hot and acts like there is no gas getting
to engine i have flushed the radiator since it gets really hot and i have a new fuel fillter and pump
could it be the water pump is bad
i would appreciate the info thanks alot
88shelbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #8
Polygon
The Red Baron

Re: Re: dodge daytona turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88shelbyz
real quick, i have an 88 shelby z that likes to overheat it jerks
violently when it gets hot and acts like there is no gas getting
to engine i have flushed the radiator since it gets really hot and i have a new fuel fillter and pump
could it be the water pump is bad
i would appreciate the info thanks alot
When does this happen? Does it happen all the time or only under WOT?
Old 11-22-2003, 05:53 AM   #9
88shelbyz
AF Newbie

well, it happens if i am sitting at a light and the car heats up under the hood. i am now running along with my hood popped and letting wind get in but it doesnt while i am sitting or am going slow. i was also told to look at my intercooler and the cool pack. i am prolly going to get a new intercooler and see if that works.
not all the time does it do it. like if i first start it up and it is cold then it runs fin until the engine has time to heat up. Over the past year i have paid about 300 for some fool to screw with it and when he was done it did the same thing. the only thing that he checked was the spark plugs, wires and vaccum lines and he also told me i was running a low oil pressure. Also , one last thing i wanted to ask have you ever heard of an air cleaner temp sensor???? my car is giving that sensor as cold on its readout and i have been every where and no one seems to know what it is or where to find it . i dont even know where it is on the car. anyways thanks i appreciate you responding\

brady what is WOT i will probably feel stupid when i hear the reply thanks
Old 11-22-2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Polygon
The Red Baron

WOT stands for wide open throttle. Not to worry, I didn't know what the hell it meant for th longest time.

Anyhow, the intercooler is a good place to start. It sounds like you're getting some pretty bad detonation. If you don't get it taken care of soen you might crack a valve or a piston. I was having a similar problem with my GTC when the intercooler died except it only happened during WOT so there are a host of things it could be. I am not sure about the air temp sensor though, but it shouldn't be reading the coldest sounds like it is toast.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:08 AM   #11
88shelbyz
AF Newbie

Re: dodge daytona turbo

cool thank you for your help i am going to start with the intercooler and work my way around.
i appreciate the help alot
thanks brady
Old 11-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #12
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Are you sure your fan is coming on? You said how it gets hot while you sit at a red light. Just a thought. How about your thermostat? You should replace it with a 180 too.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote