Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

Squeal on start up and when A/C is on!

I replace the fan belt and alternator belt because of the high pitch squeal on startup. Now, the squeal is worse, and comes in when A/C and when turning while the car is cold. I took it to 2 shops here in town, and 1 said the water pump bearings were the cause of the squeal, and the second said it was the alternator. I replaced the alternator completely 6000km ago (3500 miles), so I don't think it's that!!

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!!!

R
RickySabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
titantn24
AF Newbie

Re: Squeal on start up and when A/C is on!

Check the tension of your belts. I had the same problem with my A/C belt on my Honda. I had recently replaced the belts and didn't tighten that one up properly. So anytime I turned my A/C on, the belt would start squealing. After I tightened that belt up, it was perfectly quiet. The squealing while turning is probably a loose power steering pump belt. Tighten that one too and see if that doesn't help. I'm not a mechanic, but it sounds to me like the guys you asked before are just looking to make a quick buck off of you because they really know what the problem is. If they tell you it's just loose belts, then you will tighten them yourself and they won't make any $$. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

I have tightened the belts, then losened them and tightened them again. I don't see an issue with the water pump with my untrained eye, but who knows...could be!!! Perhaps I'll get a 3rd opionion!!

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Derrick929
AF Newbie

Ricky,
I have the same issue and can not figure it out. I have also replaced the alternator. Mine does the same thing on start up when the ac is on. I have replaced the water pump, timing belt, timing pulleys, all external belts. I can take off the alternator belt and the squeal will stop. But that makes no sense because the a/c is not on the alternator belt. Turning on and off the a/c should not affect the alternator. I also put a second used power steering pump on the car and it still squealed. I do not know what else to do. I'm a fairly good mechanic and i'm stumped on this one. Why does turning on and off the a/c make it squeal, expecially when I disconnect the alternator belt and it won't do it. The two are not connected at all but it makes a difference. If you figure it out I sure would like to know!
Derrick929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

OK...here's what I found out....

I had the alternator belt tightened. The sound went away instantly. Now, after a week or so, it is back. I'm going to tighten it again when I finish these night shifts, and I'll let you know!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
Derrick929
AF Newbie

Yeah, Seems to be related to the Alternator. I replaced mine and it got better for a little while but then came back. I've tried different tensions on the belt and I can not figure it out. I do not know what to try next. I can tighten the belt too and it seems to really help but always comes back. Let me know if you ever find a cure for this other than trading!
Derrick929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
RickySabotage
AF Newbie

Well...sorry for the delay again!!!

I've tightened the belt again. Talked to some people and no one has heard of something like this happening before, where the belt keeps getting loose. Someone suggested having the pulley's replaced, but that's not an option right now. So for now, sound is gone, but I'll keep you posted
Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
carlos80
AF Regular

Anyone find a solution to this problem? I ve had a more serious problem, the squealing is pretty bad, but I'm now on my third belt(keeps throwing them). I've adjusted it from a loose fit all the way to pretty snug and still the same result. I've check all rotating assemblies and they all seem ok. If I remove the alt w/p the belt noise goes away. I'm out of ideas any input would be great. Does it have to be a KIA belt? I'm about to burn this m*****f***ing car to the ground.
carlos80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Question Re: Squeal on start up and when A/C is on!

you might have grease on it tranny fluid,antifreese, or you don't have the tensioner tight enough or need new tensioner.good luck.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Question Re: Squeal on start up and when A/C is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper1
you might have grease on it tranny fluid,antifreese, or you don't have the tensioner tight enough or need new tensioner.good luck.
oh can be power steering, along with there guesses on alt,water pump.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
freekie
AF Newbie

I have found that these belts need to be pretty tight. Im talking tighter then you would expect but I had the same issues. I replaced the belts and problem was worse then I recalled the original belts were pretty tight.
freekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
Scrapper
AF Premium User

the tensioner might need ajusted or it may be wore out..the tensinoer will cause loose belt then you get a squil you cant use belt dressing on those because serpateen and not recomended.good luck though..
Old 12-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #13
Rez Haul
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos80
Anyone find a solution to this problem? I ve had a more serious problem, the squealing is pretty bad, but I'm now on my third belt(keeps throwing them). I've adjusted it from a loose fit all the way to pretty snug and still the same result. I've check all rotating assemblies and they all seem ok. If I remove the alt w/p the belt noise goes away. I'm out of ideas any input would be great. Does it have to be a KIA belt? I'm about to burn this m*****f***ing car to the ground.
I have exact problem with my Kia. Did making the belt extreamly tight work?
Rez Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Romeo85
AF Newbie

Was wondering if anyone has been able to solve this issue permanently? We have a 2000 Kia Sephia and have the same issue. My father in law who owns a auto body shop and some other shops have all tested it and they get this one particular code, but no one knows what the code means?
Romeo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
Goldstarelite1
AF Newbie

Hello everyone, Belt squeal is caused by all of the reasons stated above but the one that everyone has yet to mention is: When all the vehicles accesories are installed at the factory the accessories are balanced properly with the pulley. The problem that everyone is running into is that when you got your new Water pump, A/C Comp, Alt, Air Comp etc. the one thing all of these have in common is the fact that you took the factory pulley off the old accessory and put it on the OEM replacement. If the pulley is not completely balanced and centered on the part it doesn't matter how tight your belt is your pulley will wobble. As small as a 1/16'' wobble can make your belt squeal. Also if you have a chance to take the belt off and inspect it to make sure it is clean and free of any thing and ensure it has less then 10 mini cracks per inch, plus take a bristle brush and a wet rag and clean all the road dust off your pulleys. The point of my post is if you have a squeal, look down at your belt, if one or two or more of you pulleys aren't circulating almost perfectly smooth you most likely found your problem.

Pete.
Goldstarelite1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia