Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 11:33 PM   #1
rob99sp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to rob99sp
Red face Noises After Driving.

Lately after taking out my G and turning it off, I have noticed weird noises like alot of clicking. Do all G's do this when cooling down. Am I pushing it too hard? I haven't heard this on other cars.
Thanks For The Help
rob99sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2001, 11:57 PM   #2
FlossinPrimera
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to FlossinPrimera Send a message via AIM to FlossinPrimera Send a message via Yahoo to FlossinPrimera
It is the exhaust system cooling down, it gets very hot when driving the car for long periods of time.

K&N, Enkei Type 11 GML, JVC KD-SH55 Digifine, Pioneer Pear-mica components, 2 12" round things that bang and a 400W amp to make them bang. Coming soon: ACT clutch, new half-shafts, HKS superform springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, $tillen STB, 17" König Toxxins with Yokohama Parada Tires (P215/40R17).

http://gforces.streetracing.org/

"I wish Captian Archer was as much as a racial bigot as Captain Kirk"
-Burt Weed
FlossinPrimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:03 AM   #3
Brian P
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Brian P Send a message via AIM to Brian P
yeah my car does that too.... for like hours... obviously ive got like, a unniloctium foot

btw - what exactly in the exhaust is causing the clicking?

(and for those of you who dont know, unniloctium is the densest metal, with an estimated density of 41,000 kilograms per metre cubed at 293 degrees Kelvin).

(and yes i looked that up specifically for writing this post :P )
Brian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 05:13 AM   #4
T4 Primera
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
btw - what exactly in the exhaust is causing the clicking?
It's the differential expansion between the pipe itself and the heat sheilds.

They contract at different rates when cooling down and sort of creep/rub against eachother. As they cool, one gets shorter faster than the other and stress builds up between them until finally friction where they touch eachother is overcome . Then they slide suddenly against eachother (which is the clicking noise you hear) thus releasing the built up stress.

The same thing happens as the exhaust warms up but you don't hear it over the engine.This repeats itself until they've stopped cooling or heating. Nothing to worry about.
T4 Primera is offline   Reply With Quote