Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 01:58 AM   #1
PatrickG20
AF Newbie

Question P10 vs P11 handling

Which one handles better. I understand that the P10 had independent suspension where the P11 uses multi-link. Lots of auto-magazines say that the P11 has lost some of it handling capabilities compared to the P10 model, but OTOH former owners of P10s who buy P11s seem to give the P11 the nod on handling. So which one is better? Also, do lateral g figures tell the whole story, or does is also depend on what the car does after it reaches its g limit? Thanks :flash:
PatrickG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 05:32 AM   #2
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Well i have had a P10 and my currant P11 and i would have to say that the 11 is the better ride.......not by much though.
The P10 seemed to have a more firm ride. You could feel the bumps a bit more, where the P11 seems to be able to soak up the bumps better.
The P10 i thought felt better on hard corning. It had less body roll and to me seemed a bit more easier to handle on a fast corner.
After lowering my P11 it's a hell of a lot better now.
Even after saying this both the 10 and 11 are both way better than a lot of cars in there class.
Others will disagree with what i have said but i just like the P11 better due to the more forgiving suspension on bumps etc.

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 08:55 AM   #3
Nismoboy1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Nismoboy1
this probably won't help much but i think both are probably some of the best handling cars made in its class, you can't go wrong with either car, and remember...its all in the driver :alien:

For Sale: 18" Gold Axis Se7en's and Eibach Pro-kits also for a G20 P11. Check the Infiniti G20 Classifieds Here

***My G20 - Click Here***
Nismoboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:01 AM   #4
FlossinPrimera
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to FlossinPrimera Send a message via AIM to FlossinPrimera Send a message via Yahoo to FlossinPrimera
Well if you go by sheer numbers alone. The P10 should handle better due to it weighing less, and having a slighly stiffer suspension set up. The IRS only comes into play when you are scooting around on the rough stuff. But either way you go, you can't go wrong. But if you are going to buy one of these cars used, buy the P10, drop it, new shocks, and bigger wheels. In my opinion the P11 looks a little better.

K&N, Enkei Type 11 GML, JVC KD-SH55 Digifine, Pioneer Pear-mica components, 2 12" round things that bang and a 400W amp to make them bang. Coming soon: ACT clutch, new half-shafts, HKS superform springs, KYB AGX adjustable shocks, $tillen STB, 17" König Toxxins with Yokohama Parada Tires (P215/40R17).

http://gforces.streetracing.org/

"I wish Captian Archer was as much as a racial bigot as Captain Kirk"
-Burt Weed
FlossinPrimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:30 AM   #5
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
one of the british magazine, Automobile rated the P11 as one of the best handling cars in the world =)

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:20 PM   #6
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

yep, it's almost ironic how well this sedan(P11) handles. especially after getting the TEIN's...damn, my ride is firm and smooth.

only draw back for me is that the interior is a bit higher than my other cars making it a little tricky to judge distance on the sides.

man did I felt relieved when I drove my P11 this morning to work. was in indiana on business driving around a taurus. damn, that car sucks especially the brakes!!!
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 06:10 PM   #7
geoff200
AF Newbie

Have you guys had any experience replacing bushes on the suspension? Would you say that it is a good idea to change you're shocks at the same time if the bushes are worn? (I think you call em bushes in the USA - they're the rubber/nylon pieces between body mounts and suspension components I guess)
geoff200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:19 PM   #8
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

yeh, upper mounts or bushing or bush or watever. depends on how much the bushings are wornout. I swapped structs to TEIN's but using the same stock mounts.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:51 PM   #9
WRAITH
AF Regular

Ha, ha, ha... Stop kidding yourself!!!

P10 will out handle P11 anyday and anytime!

Do you know if you pushed hard enough through a curve on the P11 the rear suspension will one side of its' rear suspension?!!
Wheras, P10 will grab the curve like on rail! I have tested both cars repeatly before I decided on P10.

If you want comfort ride, go with P11. If you want king of the handling, P10. Last, the BTCC P11 uses old P10 rear suspension setup not the link beam crap...

I have owned NX2k, 200SX SER then P10 T. So, I can tell you that I HATE link beam! Period.

WRAITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 07:52 AM   #10
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by WRAITH
Do you know if you pushed hard enough through a curve on the P11 the rear suspension will one side of its' rear suspension?!!
I'm not to sure about your grammer are you trying to say the P11 will oversteer?

Quote:
If you want comfort ride, go with P11. If you want king of the handling, P10. Last, the BTCC P11 uses old P10 rear suspension setup not the link beam crap...
That's a not a true! Just read the first couple paragraphs of this page.

http://www.e30m3performance.com/tech...ra/Primera.htm
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 11:03 AM   #11
WRAITH
AF Regular

Quote:
I'm not to sure about your grammer are you trying to say the P11 will oversteer?

HAve you ever taken a car through a curve so hard that one side, especially the rear started to lose contact with the road? If you did, you would understand what I meant.

Quote:
That's a not a true! Just read the first couple paragraphs of this page.
Nope, the link does not work for me. Do you have Hyper-Rev Primera Magazine from Japan? I assumed you do, look carefully on the winning BTCC P11 rear suspension setup. It is not link beam...

Last, a Guru on the SE-R list who has the 200SX SER confirmed that the link beam setup of the rear suspension does not allow the car react as active as it should versus B13 SER.

If link beam concept does prove to be the best, why did not the other car manufacturer especially Honda or BMW use it?

I am not saying P11 handles like a whale with the setup. I can say P11 retain that pose with that setup but when really pushed to the limits, it simply would not hold on to the road.

My 2cents worth.
WRAITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 12:14 PM   #12
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by WRAITH
HAve you ever taken a car through a curve so hard that one side, especially the rear started to lose contact with the road? If you did, you would understand what I meant.
I still assume you're trying to say oversteer but lack the terminology. And no oversteer has never happened. They beam suspension in the P11, and B14/15 is VERY resistant to oversteer. In fact the only way I can get some rotation out of the rear is by trail-breaking. I finally got this to work at my last auto-x. I've also driven fairly aggressivly at a local track (Shannonville) and the rearend never came loose.

Quote:
Nope, the link does not work for me. Do you have Hyper-Rev Primera Magazine from Japan? I assumed you do, look carefully on the winning BTCC P11 rear suspension setup. It is not link beam...
At first they used independent suspenion. It looks like they were forced to change to beam in 1999. BTW linked worked for me.

Quote:
If link beam concept does prove to be the best, why did not the other car manufacturer especially Honda or BMW use it?
Couple reasons, and I'm not trying to prove that the beam is the BEST rear setup. Price/effectiveness is a huge factor. Remember the rear seup in the P11/B14/etc is not the same beam as say a K-car. For FF cars the multi-link beam is just fine.

Quote:
I am not saying P11 handles like a whale with the setup. I can say P11 retain that pose with that setup but when really pushed to the limits, it simply would not hold on to the road.
You should not be pushing your car to the limits on the street anyway. A FF car on a nice smooth track with this rear beam setup could be just as competitive. The only problem I see about the rear beam is the adjustibility. THAT is what pisses me off about it.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:49 AM   #13
doodledo824
AF Regular

I'VE DRIVEN THE P10 AND P11 AND THE P11 IS DEFINATLY THE BETTER HANDLER. THE P10 DOES FELL MORE AGILE AND TOSSABLE BUT THAT'S JUST BECAUSE IT'S LIGHTER AND SMALLER. THE P11 HAS BEEN PRAISED BY MOTORWEEK,," REAR GRIP OF THE G IS NOTHING SHORT OF ASTOUNDING" CHECK MOTORWEEK ONLINE IF U DON'T BELIEVE ME AND SPORT COMPACT CAR JUST DROOLED OVER THIS CARS HANDLING...P11 ARE MORE PREDICTABLE HANDLERS. ONE QUESTION DO THE P10 HAVE THE LSD
doodledo824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 08:08 AM   #14
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by doodledo824
ONE QUESTION DO THE P10 HAVE THE LSD
Please don't type all in caps!!

To answer your question, some did. The G20t models came with a VLSD.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:34 PM   #15
spnx
AF Regular

A longer wheelbase car, like the P11 is more resistant to oversteer.

A really shortwheel base car, like my NX2000's 95" wheelbase, is *very* easy to oversteer. In fact, it tends towards that more than understeer, which is kind of unusual for a FWD car.

Yes, you can get oversteer in a P11. I've done it. However, I think you have to be driving a rental, rather than your own car, and be *really* dumb Oh yeah, being on a gravel road helped too!
spnx is offline   Reply With Quote