Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
mckbaldy
AF Newbie

'88 5 Series

Hello all, first time user of this board....
Just put a deposit on a '88 535i. Would like to know everything I can about this car, specifically anything to watch out for. It has 120k on it now and I would like to preserve in its original condition. What engine (e30?) does it have? I think it is a 3.5L.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
mckbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:25 PM   #2
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348
Re: '88 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbaldy
Hello all, first time user of this board....
Just put a deposit on a '88 535i. Would like to know everything I can about this car, specifically anything to watch out for. It has 120k on it now and I would like to preserve in its original condition. What engine (e30?) does it have? I think it is a 3.5L.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
================================================== ==========

Hi mckbaldy:

I do not know too much about the 535i, other than my brother had one and he always said it was a great car!

How long has this BMW been on the market for sale?

I also looked up the retail value based on information you gave from Kelley Blue Book, (SEE BELOW), $3,850.00. (Remember all though all BMW's that I have seen so far, are very fine cars, it is my and some others opinion that today we are in a car buyers market, I do know there are plenty of preowned 1985 to 2003 BMWs and other car makes out there for sale).

I do not know what your going to pay for it, but personally, my first offer $500.00 to $1000.00 less than Kelley Blue book, and go from there! I do this wide price margin to leave plenty of breathing room in my $$$ price negotiations $$$ with the seller.

Now if this is a "Cherry Condition" Auto, with low mileage, I might do a Kelley Blue Book figure or a little better, but not much. : > )

I hope this Kelley blue book price info. can help you in finalizing your deal with your Bimmer!

Sincerely,

Presley348

Blue Book Used Car Retail Report Georgia • October 31, 2004</B> 1988 BMW 5 Series 535i Sedan 4D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.5 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 120,000

Another Report

Free CARFAX Record Check

Search Used Vehicle Listings

Finance Your Vehicle

Insure Your Vehicle

Equipment Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Sliding Sun Roof
Alloy Wheels

Retail Value $3,850 The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local

i
Old 10-31-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

The '88 IS a great car, probably the best of the series. M30B35 engine will run 'forever'

Best tip: find an Independent BMW shop who's been around long enough to know them as well as 'the back of his/her hand'........we'll be here also.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
mckbaldy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: '88 5 Series

Thanks for the info...can't wait to start enjoying this great find.
mckbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 10:45 PM   #5
NoTickets
AF Newbie

Now that you have your 5-series, you are going to good tunes. The single most important (and inexpensive) upgrade is an external subwoofer; the smallish speakers that fit in the tight spaces of the doors/shelf just aren't sized to move enough air. The problem to get balanced sound in BMWs (balanced = balanced, not Bazooka-like weaponry) is almost stictly in the domain of the low-end. Just go to eBay and search on BassLink. Not only will you find BassLink subwoofers under $200, you will also find BMW-specific install kits. The $250 or so you spend on the upgrade will likely become the most memorable $250 you will *ever* spend on your Bimmer.

You can read a post/article at:
http://www.wakajawaka.org/bmw-audio-upgrade/
or just go to eBay and do an eBay search on BassLink.
NoTickets is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series