Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 08:12 AM   #1
Njakalahy
AF Newbie

Lightbulb $325 Oil change??????

What's the deal with this $300 oil change at the BMW dealer?

6 quarts of synthetic oit cost $300????

Please, share the wealth.
Njakalahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348
Re: $325 Oil change??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njakalahy
What's the deal with this $300 oil change at the BMW dealer?

6 quarts of synthetic oit cost $300????

Please, share the wealth.
================================================== ====================

Hi Njakalahy:

I am new at the Bimmer game, and I too heard about the HIGH prices at the dealer for their services, i.e., oil changes, rotating tires and tire balancing etc.

I just purchased a new 2004 530i in April of this year, and I would be hard pressed to pay out anymore money $$.$$$$.00 to BMW, all though BMW might be worth the $$$ for their Hi Tech car engineering expertise, but hey I cannot afford them for routine maintenance items such as simple Motor Oil changes, etc, and I am broke most the time now, since I purchased this 2004 530i...

Just kidding, but seriously I checked with Kaufman tire company, and they will change my BMW oil for approx. $72.70, which includes $7.95 a quart for the BMW approved Castrol Synthetic Motor Oil, plus their labor charge of around $25.00.

With this kind of major $$$ savings, and without jeopardizing the quality of servicing items that goes into my new BMW, the very next oil change shall be performed at Kaufman Tire by their certified Mechanics. (I would like to use BMW, but I just cannot see paying BMW $300.00+ for an oil change, when I can have to same thing done for: $72.70).

Also I found out from a mechanic friend this should not void my BMW warranty and save me mega bucks going this route of using the local shop and paying $72.70 plus Tax instead of paying BMW dealership as you said earlier, (and I do not doubt it knowing these high dealer prices), around $300.00+ for the about exact same thing!

Also, my BMW dealership here in the Atlanta Georgia area charges us, their loyal BMW customers $65.00 a pop for tire rotation and balancing! A couples of weeks ago, I purchased a lifetime Tire rotation and balancing package from Kaufman tire Company for a one time charge of $55.00!

I hope this post can help you decide what to do about your oil changes for your BMW and a choice between the high BMW dealer charges you for oil change ($300.00) Vs the local shop in your community should be a lot less $$$ for under a $100.00.

Sincerely,
Presley348

PS,

I was just thinking what you said: $300.00 for a simple oil change! Don't BMW know Oil changes and Tire Rotations are not "Brain surgery," and it does not take an MIT graduate to perform simple servicing task on our Bimmers...(LOL)

Last edited by Presley348; 06-24-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Presley348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
swbender
AF Newbie

A lot of dealers have 2 levels of service: oil change and oil "service". My experience with the latter is that they check all the other fluids, and then use a BMW service reset tool to reset the oil service interval. The insanity of this is that you can buy the service reset tool for less than the difference in the price of the services. They didn't do this in the past--it changed maybe 4 years ago
swbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM   #4
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348
Re: Re: $325 Oil change??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbender
A lot of dealers have 2 levels of service: oil change and oil "service". My experience with the latter is that they check all the other fluids, and then use a BMW service reset tool to reset the oil service interval. The insanity of this is that you can buy the service reset tool for less than the difference in the price of the services. They didn't do this in the past--it changed maybe 4 years ago
================================================== =========

Hi swbender:

I never knew there are two types of oil changes, but what you said does makes a lot of sense, (THANKS). I do know these $$$ hungry companies do have all kind of different fees, and as a friend of mine calls: "junk fees"!

I do not believe in these extra fees, but hey, this is America, and we do have a choice!

You know I admire All BMWs, because we know they are superior in quality to most automobiles on today's market, but they charge for it too!!!

I do not mind a person making a dollar or two, but BMW seems to go a little overboard with things for their BMW i.e. routine service like Oil changes, tire rotation, etc.

I paid well over $53,000.00 for my new 04 530i and I really like it, but what I don't like is their FREE schedule maintenance plan which include FREE oil changes that came with my new BMW.

But the kicker is they only change oil at 15,000 intervals, or once a year up to 50,000.00 miles! Now I am from the old school where we used regular oil, not this synthetic stuff, all though it is expensive, but I have heard nothing but good things about it, but still oil changes at 15,000 miles, isn't that a little long time to go without an oil and filter change?

Well I am sure this is excellent BMW oil, but I am not taking any chance with this Hi Tech 2004 BMW 530i, and I have elected to change my oil at 7500 miles, now I pay for one oil change and BMW pays for the other. But I will not pay BMW dealers their high prices for a simple oil change, and I am now contracted with a local nationwide tire store that will use the same oil as BMW does (Castrol synthetic) and change it, filter and all for $75.00! That is still high but a lot less the BMW charges.

Now when my warranty is over, I will need one of those reset tool, where can I purchase one at?
Swbender: Again thanks for you response, and I will be waiting to her from you concerning where I can purchase the Bimmer reset tool?

Sincerely,

Presley348

Last edited by Presley348; 06-29-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
swbender
AF Newbie

The same thing happened with my M coupe. I ended up changing the oil tiwce as often as BMW recommended--did it once myself and once at the local oil change shop. $35 and $65 respectively

The tool is manufactured by a company called Peake Research.
http://www.peakeresearch.com/code_tool.htm
I bought mine from Bavarian Autowerks because they were running a special on it, I think maybe $139 instead of $149. I've seen similar specials at the other BMW sites (bimmertoys, for example) so you may want to shop around a little bit. I bought mine well before any warranties were over, by the way
swbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbender
The same thing happened with my M coupe. I ended up changing the oil tiwce as often as BMW recommended--did it once myself and once at the local oil change shop. $35 and $65 respectively

The tool is manufactured by a company called Peake Research.
http://www.peakeresearch.com/code_tool.htm
I bought mine from Bavarian Autowerks because they were running a special on it, I think maybe $139 instead of $149. I've seen similar specials at the other BMW sites (bimmertoys, for example) so you may want to shop around a little bit. I bought mine well before any warranties were over, by the way
================================================== =========

Hey Swbender:

Thanks for the info!

Presley348
Old 06-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
Der Deutscher
AF Newbie

bavarian autowerks actually sells that tool for 99.95 but i live right down the road from them so shipping might cost more. But i would say its definetly worth it.
Der Deutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
91HO305TPI
AF Enthusiast

first off there is no reset tool for your 2004 530 they did away with the tool when the 20pin connector disapperaed from under the hood now use the 16 pin OBDII in the car you can reset the oil light through the i drive controller press down at the menu screen and look around. as for your 300$ oil change you got ripped off next time tell them all you want is an LOF lube oil and filter change this is basically like a quick lube job but done by your dealer it should cost no where near 300 when your car was in for service they may have updated your programming but that should have been via warrnty and should have cost you nothing. have you been called for a CSi survey yet if not tell them about your experince and they will get in trouble for ripping you off.
91HO305TPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
NTB
AF Newbie

Pulled this off my Dealers site.

Engine Oil Service $79.95
* Up to 9 quarts of synthetic oil * Genuine BMW oil filter * Check all fluid levels * Reset Service indicator (when applicable) *** Price does not include tax and environmental fee

You guys are getting ripped off.
NTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTB
Pulled this off my Dealers site.

Engine Oil Service $79.95
* Up to 9 quarts of synthetic oil * Genuine BMW oil filter * Check all fluid levels * Reset Service indicator (when applicable) *** Price does not include tax and environmental fee

You guys are getting ripped off.
================================================== =====================
Hi NTB:

I appreciate the information you got for the price of a BMW oil change.

WOW, $79.95 is a great price for a BMW Synthetic oil change, performed by any licensed BMW dealership!

Can you give me your BMW dealers hyperlink, so I can use it to show my BMW dealer what other BMW dealerships are now charging for a BMW oil change?

Thanks,

Presley348

Last edited by Presley348; 07-01-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

www.bmwusa.com

You sure you didnt ask for alot of other stuff to be done, such as brakes and filters and spark plugs and top off your fluids? A brake job is about 400 for all 4 tires. Ofcourse your not just getting brake pads, you get the pads, new rotors, brake sensors and you get all your fluids topped off. Also tire pressure gets checked and a over all inspection happens. Makes sure your lights, blinkers seat belts horn bla bla bla all works. Its alot more detailed then just changing your oil and a filter.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:30 PM   #12
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiburn
www.bmwusa.com

You sure you didnt ask for alot of other stuff to be done, such as brakes and filters and spark plugs and top off your fluids? A brake job is about 400 for all 4 tires. Ofcourse your not just getting brake pads, you get the pads, new rotors, brake sensors and you get all your fluids topped off. Also tire pressure gets checked and a over all inspection happens. Makes sure your lights, blinkers seat belts horn bla bla bla all works. Its alot more detailed then just changing your oil and a filter.
================================================== ===========

Thanks Antiburn for your reply,

But right now I do not worry about any brake jobs, pads, rotors, fluids, windshield wiper blades etc., because I get free service and free BMW rental anytime when my new 2004 530i is being serviced by BMW for the first 50,000 miles.

But I will keep what you said in mind when my BMW new car warranty and servicing contract runs out, $$$. $$$

By the way BMW pays for most of my scheduled oil changes also, but only at 15,000 mile intervals, which I personally do not agree with.

I am going to pay for some of the oil changes myself to make sure they are performed on my new Bimmer every 7500 miles. (LOL)

That was why I was asking about the high price of BMW oil changes ($200.00-$300.00+) Vs a local nationwide auto tire shop with certified mech's ($75.00).

Sincerely,

Presley348

PS,

Antiburn, If you know of any BMW dealership anywhere here in the USA that does:

BMW Engine Oil Service $79.95
* Up to 9 quarts of synthetic oil * Genuine BMW oil filter * Check all fluid levels * Reset Service indicator (when applicable) *** Price does not include tax and environmental fee,

please let me know and give me their name, location and their website.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 PM   #13
NTB
AF Newbie

The dealership is in Minnesota.

http://www.motorwerksbmw.com/

Is under the Service specials, but it is only $10.00 off the normal price.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM   #14
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTB
The dealership is in Minnesota.

http://www.motorwerksbmw.com/

Is under the Service specials, but it is only $10.00 off the normal price.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi NTB:

THANKS, for the Minnesota Motorwerks BMW website you gave me, it is great!

That is exactly what I need as I prepare to educate my Atlanta GA BMW dealer what another BMW dealer around the country is charging their valued BMW customers for their routine Oil changes!

I believe a salesman, especially one at a BMW dealership should be honest with not just some, but with ALL their customers, and should conform with today's competitive market prices, (now that's if they want to stay in the BMW Servicing business).

But here in GA I am afraid some of our BMW Service departments are not showing the BMW integrity with their new customers.

In fact, by looking over the: "Motorwerks BMW" website prices, I see where some of our BMW dealers are today taking their BMW services pricing to the extremes, and do not seem to care about us customers, and what happens to us!

A BMW service manager I spoke with made like a 2004 BMW oil change or 2004 BMW tire balancing cost more, because it is very intense!

He made it appear like it was highly specialized procedure, (it reminded me almost like a doctor ((MD)), performing Brain surgery), and tried to convince me how he knows of no one here in the Atlanta area that could ever get the BMW tire balancing right, but their very own BMW dealership, because they use the newest BMW technology of using "special BMW weights" when balancing the new 2004 530i BMW tires/wheels, I thought to myself I remembered when I asked my new car BMW salesman about routine maintenance items any different on the 2004 models, he said no the same, and he never told me what his service manager just told me, in fact all he would say was a sales pitch about what a great car BMWs are!

I feel I got misinformed and somewhat deceived by my BMW Service manager concerning their pricing and BMW servicing info, (special weights, he expects me and others to believe that?

I suppose we are all poor Southern hicks to the BMW Service Manager. I want to tell me oh tell me another, jk LOL), especially after reading postings here at the BMW forum of other BMW owners such as yourself are saying, and looking at other BMW websites on their prices on oil changes, etc. But Thank God for people like yourself at this BMW forum!

But other than that I really like my new 2004 530i itself, but if what his service manager said to me is true, and the new 2004 BMWs being that special, well, I don't want it, and I am going to have to sale my new 530i, and buy something simpler to work on when it comes down to tire balancing and routine oil changes, like a "S" type Jaguar!

Anyway thanks for reading my BMW vent, and have a good day!

Sincerely,

Presley348

Last edited by Presley348; 07-03-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
NTB
AF Newbie

Just to reply to what you are saying and how things are MUCH different here.

I bought a Certified 2001 740iL from Motorwerks in Minnesota about 2 weeks ago.

While i was looking at the car for 3+ hours on a Saturday using all the salemens time never once feeling pressured to buy the car, was only going to stop in and take a look at the car and purchase within the month.

After looking at 3-4 different cars and seeing the difference between the L, iL and sport, I decied on one of them that i like with the options that i requested. This was after they had me take 2 of them out with my wife and no salesman in the car with us, just sent us on our way and said enjoy it.

After decieding on a car I noticed that i did not like the color or the rims on the car (Was the light Blue/Gray and the factory snowflake rims on it).
DEALBREAKER, let them know i loved the car, the wife liked the color but the rims SUCKED.

So went in and gave them all my information seeing that i was looking to buy within the month and wanted to stay in touch, thats when it all started.

Nicest people i have ever delt with.

They took me over to a car that had the 5 spoke sport rims on it. And asked me if i liked these rims. Duhhhh, yes. Said they would swap out a new set of sport rims for the snowflkes on the car currently.

SOLD.

After looking at the numbers it looks like it would of cost me over $3000.00 from the rims and tires that they put on the car for free.
And for the 2 times i had to bring the car in to get the tires done, 2nd key setup, center armrest phone removed, all 4 cabin filters changed, Alignment, and a new airfilter for the engine. This has not cost me a dime.

Plus whenever i bring in my car they give me a loaner within 4 minutes of when i get there, no paper work, nothing to sign. First loaner was a 2001 740iL, 2nd was a 2001 Z3. They come out to the car with you to make sure that it starts and to check the fuel level and you ar eon your way.

BEST SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECIEVED.

-Ross

Forgot to add that they did a full brake job on all 4 wheels. New disks and pads all the way around.
And i paid 6g under book.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series