Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverY2KCivic
Here's what I observed. I was out and about last night driving some local sparsely used unlit roads, so I was able to make good observations with the PIAAs. First and foremost Eckoman is correct that they light at about a 5000K color temp rating. Very differant from the SilverStars I had in. The light output from the Super Plasma GT-X bulbs is the closest to HID I have seen yet in terms of color and look appearance. I'd compare them with Acura TL HIDs running at about half the brightness. But the color is almost exactly the same. I was stopped next to one so that's how I conducted that comparison. With the high beams on they transform into a more white output level of color. They seem to have a blueish/green tint at the edge of the light pattern that I'm not terribly fond of. Still very bright, but definitely NOT any brighter than ther SilverStars. The Silverstars are as bright if not brighter than the PIAAs when in highbeam operation. This could be due to the color temp differance, but maybe not. When the S/S's are in highbeam operation, rather then the light going whiter, they seem to tint slightly BLUER which is opposite of what almost every other bulb does. But I almost liked them better because of that.

As for lowbeam operation each bulb between the S/S's and the Plasma GT-X's they are about equal as far as lumens brightness output. Actually the PIAAs I'd almost go with saying are slightly brighter. Because of the color of the light been emitted from them, they seem to reflect the light back up better off the ground as well as off of road line marks and cateyes, better. When I bought the bulbs, the shop told me I should match a yellow city light bulb with them in my city light sockets to enhance the affect of the GT-X's. I'm thinking of trying that out. rightnow I have Polarg M-4 wedge bulbs in my city light socketsfor my CTR headlights.
You have the Super Plasma GT-X, correct, not the regular Super Plasma? The Regular Super Plasma high beam is "Super White" 3800K (low beam 5000K). The GT-X didn't list the color temp high beam but says "Xtreme White High Beam." Xterme White PIAA's low beam is 4200K, and the High beam is 3950K. It is most likely in between there. The blueish/green tint may be due to the purple coating on the top half of the GT-X bulb, when combined with the light output. I am sure that's partically why it's there. I believe the Silverstars are 4000K for both. I suspect with more lumens shining through, they shows more color due to the increaed brightness, tha's you notice it. Also, since the color temp is already around there, the color temp won't drop, so you won't experience the whiting of the light due to the dropping of the high beam to around 4000K. Also, the max wattage of your silverstars on high beam is 72 watts. I am guessing the slightly higher wattage also increases the color output you noticed at that color temp, since you have increaed light output due to the increased lumans of being on high beam.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 AM   #17
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
You have the Super Plasma GT-X, correct, not the regular Super Plasma? The Regular Super Plasma high beam is "Super White" 3800K (low beam 5000K). The GT-X didn't list the color temp high beam but says "Xtreme White High Beam." Xterme White PIAA's low beam is 4200K, and the High beam is 3950K. It is most likely in between there. The blueish/green tint may be due to the purple coating on the top half of the GT-X bulb, when combined with the light output. I am sure that's partically why it's there. I believe the Silverstars are 4000K for both. I suspect with more lumens shining through, they shows more color due to the increaed brightness, tha's you notice it. Also, since the color temp is already around there, the color temp won't drop, so you won't experience the whiting of the light due to the dropping of the high beam to around 4000K. Also, the max wattage of your silverstars on high beam is 72 watts. I am guessing the slightly higher wattage also increases the color output you noticed at that color temp, since you have increaed light output due to the increased lumans of being on high beam.
Yeah, it's the S/P GT-X that I have and not the regular or GT version S/P PIAAs. The GT-X's are rated at 5000K lowbeam, and a 4500K highbeam, so a bit higher than the original Super Plasmas. The Silver Stars i was unaware as still being a higher wattage than stock. On the bulb base (the metal ring at the bottom) they say 55/60w and so I figured they were stock. They are also advertised as being stock, but since Sylvania is an OEM manufacture, they probably let them run at a slightly higher than stock wattage rate but know exactly how much more OEM parts can handle before having any noticeable problems. I never had a single problem with my Silver Stars though. Just wanted to try out and see what the PIAAs were like, and I really like them a lot! Very pleased.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:18 AM   #18
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Yeah, it's the S/P GT-X that I have and not the regular or GT version S/P PIAAs. The GT-X's are rated at 5000K lowbeam, and a 4500K highbeam, so a bit higher than the original Super Plasmas. The Silver Stars i was unaware as still being a higher wattage than stock. On the bulb base (the metal ring at the bottom) they say 55/60w and so I figured they were stock. They are also advertised as being stock, but since Sylvania is an OEM manufacture, they probably let them run at a slightly higher than stock wattage rate but know exactly how much more OEM parts can handle before having any noticeable problems. I never had a single problem with my Silver Stars though. Just wanted to try out and see what the PIAAs were like, and I really like them a lot! Very pleased.
I got those numbers (wattage) for the silverstars directly off their website. They listed the max wattage of each appication, for both low and high beams. That was the max wattage of the high beam they listed for your lights. It's not like it's a big deal, like it is with cheap bulbs. I wouldn't trip pver that with them, or PIAA. Both they and PIAA know what they are doing. Yea, I like the Super Plasmas a lot too. I am very pleased with them. I've had them for awhile now, and I love them.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #19
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
I got those numbers (wattage) for the silverstars directly off their website. They listed the max wattage of each appication, for both low and high beams. That was the max wattage of the high beam they listed for your lights. It's not like it's a big deal, like it is with cheap bulbs. I wouldn't trip pver that with them, or PIAA. Both they and PIAA know what they are doing. Yea, I like the Super Plasmas a lot too. I am very pleased with them. I've had them for awhile now, and I love them.
I just noticed that on Sylvania's website after I read you mentioning about it. They must have just changed them and I have the crappier versions, because mine are 60/55w rating and that's how they used to be advertised as. Waiting till things are refined is always better I guess, lol! Anywho I'm going to be replacing my POS foglights with some Sylvania Xenarc X1010 HID fog lights that have a color temp rating of 5400K! That's pretty darn nice for a true HID lamp, not to mention they retail from Sylvania direct for $300! I think they should complement my PIAAs quite nicely, plus i can tend to do a bit of remote road driving where having as much light as you can is very essential. Also they consume less power which is good if like me you run a couple of audio amps. Just of note, with my PIAA GT-X bulbs and my 55w generic fogs, one of my friend's I was out cruising with last night mentioned to me that with my highbeams on, I was lighting up practically the whole canyon. Not really, but it just shows how much noticeably brighter these lights are in comparison to others. Sure PIAA is expensive, but in the end I think it was a very wise and worth while decision to buy and install them.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 01-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #20
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: aftermarket bulbs:color temperature and usable light output

Quote:
I just noticed that on Sylvania's website after I read you mentioning about it. They must have just changed them and I have the crappier versions, because mine are 60/55w rating and that's how they used to be advertised as. Waiting till things are refined is always better I guess, lol! Anywho I'm going to be replacing my POS foglights with some Sylvania Xenarc X1010 HID fog lights that have a color temp rating of 5400K! That's pretty darn nice for a true HID lamp, not to mention they retail from Sylvania direct for $300! I think they should complement my PIAAs quite nicely, plus i can tend to do a bit of remote road driving where having as much light as you can is very essential. Also they consume less power which is good if like me you run a couple of audio amps. Just of note, with my PIAA GT-X bulbs and my 55w generic fogs, one of my friend's I was out cruising with last night mentioned to me that with my highbeams on, I was lighting up practically the whole canyon. Not really, but it just shows how much noticeably brighter these lights are in comparison to others. Sure PIAA is expensive, but in the end I think it was a very wise and worth while decision to buy and install them.
Yea, I agree. PIAA may cost more money, but when you look at what you are getting in return, it's not so expensive, by comparision. I've seen those Xenarc HID Fog lights with the 5400K color temp. I have the exact same idea you did, pair them with the PIAA SUper Plasma (as your regular lights). The Xenarc HID Auxillary lights look really nice, they'll look really good combined with the PIAAs.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #21
Redline8K
AF Newbie

I've been looking around for super plasma's for the integra (9005,9006) but the only ones available are imported from japan which means no US warranty and are they street legal here(must be a reason why PIAA doesn't sell them in the US)? Are they worth the trouble and extra price or should i just buy silverstars or another version of PIAAs? What do you recommend I should get?
Redline8K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:04 AM   #22
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline8K
I've been looking around for super plasma's for the integra (9005,9006) but the only ones available are imported from japan which means no US warranty and are they street legal here(must be a reason why PIAA doesn't sell them in the US)? Are they worth the trouble and extra price or should i just buy silverstars or another version of PIAAs? What do you recommend I should get?
Hmm, well, I have ran into shops that will warrenty it those Super Plasma's as well before. I don't know if autofreak will warrenty them, but they do carry them. The shop I know that will warrenty it is from pdx...since all PIAA products have the 1 year warrenty they say, they warrenty it regardless, it just may take longer to get a replacement pair in. I assume not all shops are like this though, so check around. They still should be legel, as the color temp is all the same. I am not sure as to why they aren't sold here. The PIAA extreme whites will have the warrenty for sure, though I seriously perfer the Super Plasmas. If you are really sketchy on the whole Super Plasma thing, the PIAA Extreme Whites (these will have the warrenty) or the Silverstars will work. As for the Super Plasmas, I'd try to find a place that will warrenty the 9005 and 9006 from Japan. As I said, I know of a shop locally that will. Just make sure to ask the shop and talk with them before you buy. Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:11 PM   #23
Mhj63
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Mhj63
Silvania Silverstar. The best by far. I've tried alot of differnt bulbs. Go to the website check out the lumins and all the other specs.
Mhj63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 AM   #24
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhj63
Silvania Silverstar. The best by far. I've tried alot of differnt bulbs. Go to the website check out the lumins and all the other specs.
Check out the PIAA Super Plasma's also. SilverY2KCivic has had both of them, the Slverstars and Super Plasmas. Re-read this thread to get his opinions on the difference. Both of them are good. The ONLY lights I'll ever recommend are PIAA lights or the Silverstars. Of course, I suppose I explained all that at the start of the thread, lol.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:59 PM   #25
avpart3
AF Enthusiast

I just copped my silverstars last week and I'm happy with my results

''There's NO Ideas Original, Its Nothing New under the Sun!''
avpart3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:03 PM   #26
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhj63
Have you tried PIAA S/P GT-X yet? Having used both (with the PIAA GT-X being my currently used bulb), I'd have to say PIAA Super Plasma GT-X hands down, for my preferance at least. Just as bright as Silver Stars, but with a more true (the truest actually) HID look around. Slight purple tint at low beam, with a more blueish tint at high beam. Silver Start is an actual higher wattage bulb, but not by much since they make OEM and they KNOW what a factory car can and can't handle. Their high beam is 72w if I remember correctly. A more powerful bulb by technicality, but the PIAA's XTRA technology that their bulbs incorporate is the closest thing to a high power (+90w) bulb that I have yet seen to date out of a stock wattage application. I'd have to say that the PIAA get my mark over the Sylvainas, unless you're in the rain... Then the lower temp color of the Silver Stars will excel over the 5000k temp color output of the PIAA GT-X's.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 04-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #27
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer

man, i just can't seem to run away from this site...

Silverstars
Actual HID's from XenonDepot:
Old 04-02-2004, 04:48 AM   #28
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteracer

Silverstars
Damn David, you running HID's now? I'm jealous! lol

Hit me up on AIM sometime, man.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 04-11-2004, 03:36 AM   #29
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteracer

Silverstars
Ahh, HID's...I need some of those...
Old 05-27-2004, 12:51 AM   #30
S.C
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to S.C
I got a PIAA Super Extreme White 4200k low/ 3950k high for $50. Hehe, I got that cheap because my cuz friend has a shop, and he hook me up. Man, it looks so good and clear. However, I discover there is a water blance inside the lens. Should I make it to center or some other position? When I turn on the high beam, there are many lines of light appeared on the ground which in front of the bumper . It this normal, or should I move the lens around to make it disappear?
S.C is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics