Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:22 PM   #1
copout221
AF Regular

Thumbs up 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

So after buying my 2003 Denali I found that GM is offering an integrated Navigation radio for the Denali's , Escalades, and I think Hummers. I don't like the idea of an aftemarket nav unit because of the high cost and non factory look. So I contacted my dealer and several others for prices on the factory installed integrated Navation radio that would work with my onstar and XM Radio. Every dealer told me that they could NOT order that radio and that it would not be compatible with my vehicle. I said BS and contacted both GM tech engineers and Delphi Inc (who make the radio). They could not provide me with an answer and advised me to trade my truck in for another 2003 or 2004 that has the Nav radio installed from the factory. So I did my own research on the my trucks wiring and found no difference between my truck and others with the factory navigation unit. So I found a Navigation unit on E-Bay for 1300.00 and ordered it. It had previously been inside an Escalade so I did not know if it would work. I received the unit and it plugged in and powered up with no problems other than the theft protection engaged. I installed the supplied GPS antenna that mounts inside the dash and off to the dealer I went. The dealer reset the radio with the Tech 2 scanner/reader for one hour labor cost ( B.S ) and it works perfectly with my XM and Onstar. In addition it is under warranty from GM and looks factory installed. I thought this would be interesting info for other Yukon Denali owners. I do not know if this unit would work in a standard Tahoe or Yukon but I would bet it would as long as the truck is 2003 or newer. The electronics in the pre 2003 trucks is totally different and this radio will not work. Below is a pic of the radio I took out and a pic of the new Navigation radio I installed.

copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to copout221 For This Useful Post:
lakefork (04-19-2013)
Old 12-05-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
Vintalage
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Vintalage Send a message via MSN to Vintalage
That's like what I did. Except I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand am GT1. The unit works, but for some odd reason, it stays in night mode all the time when the car is on. I got mine from a guy who visits the another forum I frequent. He got it from a wrecked '04 Buick Rendezvous. I paid $500 for it. I couldn't pass this great deal up.

Anyway, what it doesn't have is the right gps antenna. I am trying to find out what the part # is for the correct gps antenna that hooks into this unit. I saw your unit on ebay and sent the seller an email asking what the part # was and he did not respond. So if you help me out here, do you know what the part # is? I am having a difficult time finding it. It's very frustrating.

Here are pics of the unit:

Had the dealer program the unit for my car. So it's unlocked.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #3
Vintalage
AF Newbie

More pics:

This pic is from the seller who had the unit in his car:

Old 12-05-2003, 02:07 PM   #4
copout221
AF Regular

I can not tell you anything about the GPS antenna. The dealers I contacted about this radio could not give me any info at all. I will call my buddy at a GMC dealer who may be able to find it but that is unlikely because he could not even get me an owners manual for it. I would try calling Cadillac dealers about the antenna, they seem to know more about this unit because it is being used in alot of their products. There has to be a way to find one !!!
Old 12-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
wsone
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

That is sweet...I assume your steering wheel controls still work? I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71- might have to look into this
wsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:34 PM   #6
Vintalage
AF Newbie

But you said you "installed the supplied GPS antenna that mounts inside the dash." The gps antenna I have has the part # on it. Was there a part # on yours? Also, was the wire and the gps antenna 1 piece or 2 pieces? The antenna I have needs a cable to attach to it and I don't think that is right.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
copout221
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintalage
But you said you "installed the supplied GPS antenna that mounts inside the dash." The gps antenna I have has the part # on it. Was there a part # on yours? Also, was the wire and the gps antenna 1 piece or 2 pieces? The antenna I have needs a cable to attach to it and I don't think that is right.
Yes, the antenna mounts inside the dash above the radio and is connected to the radio with an attached wire and plug. The GPS antenna in actually mounted to a small metal piece that has a hole in it for securing it. I attached a picture of the antenna below. I would have to pull my radio to see if there is a part number on it but I don't think there is any numbers on it from what I remember. Hope this helps !!

Old 12-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
copout221
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsone
That is sweet...I assume your steering wheel controls still work? I have a 2003 Tahoe Z71- might have to look into this
Yes, steering wheel controls still work fine along with Onstar and XM Radio if equipped. I will be listing one of these Nav radios on E-Bay next week with a buy it now of $1300.00 if interested. It includes a manual and Nav Map disc ver 1.0 but no GPS antenna. It came out of a totalled 03 Escalade last week and will have to be reset after being installed.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Vintalage
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 Yukon Denali Navigation Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by copout221
Yes, the antenna mounts inside the dash above the radio and is connected to the radio with an attached wire and plug. The GPS antenna in actually mounted to a small metal piece that has a hole in it for securing it. I attached a picture of the antenna below. I would have to pull my radio to see if there is a part number on it but I don't think there is any numbers on it from what I remember. Hope this helps !!

Yep, that's what I saw on ebay. It looks like there is a number printed on a label attached to the metal piece from what I can see. I see numbers, but can barely read it.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Vintalage
AF Newbie

And that's not the part I have. I knew I had the wrong part. I have contacted dealerships and they either don't know, or give me the wrong part that they thing is right. I spent $60.00 on a cable that I thought attaches to the gps antenna I have. When it came in and I opened the box, I discoved that it is a cable assembly that hooks up various components including onstar. So I have searched and I come up with nothing.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #11
copout221
AF Regular

It you can find a GPS antenna that has the same plug it should work. They are all designed the same from what I have been told. Have you contacted GMPARTSDIRECT.COM? They are really good at getting hard to find parts. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
Old 12-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #12
Vintalage
AF Newbie

By the way, I can give you the link to the online manual for this unit. It's on my home computer though and i'm at work. I'll post it later.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 PM   #13
Vintalage
AF Newbie

No, I have not contacted gmpartsdirect about this. I did ask them to add a part # that I got from the dealership to their site. Which is the part that turned out to be wrong. I'll have to contact them about finding the gps antenna part. I doubt they will be able to find it. Why is GM so difficult with their electronic parts? It's terrible.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #14
copout221
AF Regular

It is so difficult because the radio is produced by Delphi as part of a contract with GM and Delphi will not answer any questions regarding this unit or the parts related to it. GM is useless because they just plug the thing in and hope it works at the factory. No one could help me at all with this radio. I am just glad it worked when I installed it, now I have two of them !! Go Figure !!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:58 PM   #15
Vintalage
AF Newbie

Yeah, i've sent Delphi an email about the part # and they never returned an email.