Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: intake gaskets

Sorry, not a good sign that your coolant levels are low, if they were normal before this happened......if enough coolant is in the exhaust, it could actually block the exhaust and choke the engine......

What I would do is get a coolant pressure tester, and pressurize the system overnight.....next, remove the plugs and disable fuel and ignition(disconnect injector harness and remove power from the ICM[two wire connector on the passenger side])......then have someone crank the vehicle....if coolant comes out of any of the spark plug holes, chances are you have a head gasket/head problem.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
mechanicalgirl (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

Thank you Tech II. I Will do recommended tests when it stops raining here. if the gasket /head is having issues I unfortunately may have to sell I HAVE a clean rebuilt transmission sitting in my closet for this Impala . I don't want to give up but have no not enough tools to do it on top of lack of knowledge about this car have done head sets on VWs but thats way different . The shops want WAY too much here. I Will do what you recommend an go from there. thank you for your time Tech II .... Ive been loosening sleep over this...how can it be that this cars gaskets were all replaced an so much brought up to par yet same problems again ??are the 3.4 aluminum heads all doin this or is it possible the last job was just enough off on tork pressure on the intake bolts or the rods or valves just slightly off a problem ? Or Im wondering if its something I did. drove it pretty hard an fast on a steep long road trip one day it was hot that day an when I got to intense incline the temp went way up. i feel like a jerk for not knowing more sorry..enough to eventually cause
mechanicalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #33
Tech II
AF Fanatic

What was the timeline on this?

How long ago and how many miles ago, was the intake done?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #34
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

It was done just this last mid November an as far as miles idk Im at work so id have to guess an over estimated guess would be around under 7,000 miles
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Reason I asked about the timeline was, have seen many jobs diagnosed as an intake, when it was also a head gasket, and you end up doing the job twice .....
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #36
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

When we did it back in Nov we did the head set too
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #37
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Let's see if there is coolant in the cylinders after pressurizing the system....
Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #38
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

I have it opened up right now two of the lifters where completely loose!! When pulled out the threading came out with one. i can't afforded a new head right now goin to tap it an looking for slightly bigger rocker bolt..Im so not happy with this its goin to completely mess the threading up permanently. Im at a loss could it be that the rocker bolts weren't tightend tdown enough do they need to be done a certain way. ugh Im so sad about this
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I assume you mean the rocker arms were loose......fact the threads came out, more than likely happened during removal or over torquing on installation......

This puts the WHOLE job in question, unfortunately......
Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #40
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

Yes right the rocker arms..sorry was rushed. so I need a new head but Im wondering maybe a new one isn't that exspensive. for now a temp fix rethreaded the bolt..wich is a crazy idea to me but I don't have cash to get a new head right away. I am wondering what are the directions or specs to correctly tork these bolts? Its hard to say wether the threads came out with removal or due to over torking however its possible it is over tork its common with these aluminum 3.4 heads....I honestly am looking at my old jeep with cast iron head with new eyes ...time to replace the battery post on the ol jeep an get it up an running for back up. i have 3jobs an can't afford to miss work . My plan now is to think over the option of buying new head an at same time have the new tranny put in Ill have the $ to do it in about 30days ...I have decisions to make not sure what to think on my poor Impala Have put ALOT of $$an effort into it....
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #41
Tech II
AF Fanatic

I have said this before on other threads, about doing an intake job, or any engine job....

You have to be careful when removing bolts with power tools.....anyone who has taken out spark plugs, that are hard to take out, know you have to "work" them out......slowly work them counter clockwise, then clockwise, and do this repeatedly, to get the plug out without destroying the threads in the head....in some cases, the threads can be retapped, in others you may have to helicoil them, or worse case scenario, you replace the head......if you just force them out, say good bye to the threads....

See this happen on rocker arm bolts all the time....someone puts their high torque air ratchet on the bolt, hits the trigger, and takes that bolt out, along with the threads......what you should do first, is "break" the bolt first....by that I mean, manually loosen it, so that you know the bolt is not sticking to the threads.....then take it out the rest of the way with the power tool....

Your first option, instead of replacing the head, is to try and helicoil the bolt hole......the head does not have to come out of the car to do this......there are many videos on Youtube, showing the process.....I recommend you find a tech that has done this before.....it is simple, if you know what you are doing......

With the helicoil in, it is stronger than the original thread, and the bolt can be torqued to spec(guessing 14 foot pounds, plus 30 degrees)....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
mechanicalgirl (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #42
mechanicalgirl
AF Newbie

Thank you for tork specs. will watch videos . no power tools were used last job or this one. Was unawares of the helicoil will look into it used red addhesive for bolts but can't remember name off top of my head. Im glad to hear its possible to do rethreading correctly your advice an time is so appreciated..thanks again Tech II
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #43
surrender
AF Newbie

Did this fix eight years and 70,000 miles ago...still runs 👍🏻

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS