Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
97wrangler
AF Newbie

Question 1986 325e

I was given a 1986 325e with 70,000 miles on it. It belonged to somebody's kid at an embassy and had been sitting in a garage (dry rotting). I recently replaced the original batteries on the SI board and all the buzzers and lights have gone out (thank God!). The tach still goes a little crazy once in awhile. I do not believe it was originally manufactured for the US market because the check panel is in German. I would really appreciate any help on the following problems:

1. Heavy condensation builds up under the trunk lid. I've adjusted the latch so that the hood is tight and also checked the track, finding no holes, and seal. The only thing I can think of is that water may be getting by the tail light seals.

2. The interior lights come on when I open the door. I cannot figure out how to manually turn them on. The headlight knob or switches on the lights themselves do not turn them on.

3. Does not have power steering. Is it possible to have that added?

4. The stereo looks like it is designed for Europe (has fixed buttons for traffic frequency's) and does not receive very well. Could also be the power antennae. Any recommendations on stereo's?

5. The left side rear door was hit by another car causing damage to the door (obviously) and the frame under it. It does not appear that the post between the front and rear door was bent. Would this type of repair be very expensive (roughly)? It is manual crank and lock. Either way, I guess I'm looking for a replacement door.

6. Need the panel under the steering wheel (it's missing).

I'm sure there's much more, but can't think of any more right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
97wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
supervisor1886
Banned

Re: 1986 325e

1 You got water it the trunk somehow-fix before you get fangus or rust. Its EAsier if you strip everying at first. the light seals are pretty common problem too
2 Dont know it (no biggie you can fix it yourself)

3 Possible but expensive. (lots people disable it cause its crap. It gives you the real feel of driving) So dont worry about it. If you replace it you will have to get the pulley,braket,steering wreck, the pump)

4 New stereo and a new antena

5 You replace a door like that ($100, you could find one the same color) Parts cars like that go for around $400-500

6 $10 From a junkyard

How much did you pay for it?
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Kid_Bimmer
AF Newbie

I'm too!!! I need the panel under the steering wheel, how much is that??? You send to Brazil??? Thanks.
Kid_Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
supervisor1886
Banned

For you it will be $120 USD + shipping costs.
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
97wrangler
AF Newbie

Thanks, Supervisor.
The car was given to me, so it's only costing me to repair it.
97wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
Domingues
AF Newbie

hehehehe i got a bmw e30 325e 1986 aswell, neat lil machine i love it to bits but its costing me alot of money aswell, the red has faded and it kinda looks purple/pinkish. Not apealing. My throttle body is playing up Hrmmmm need a new one, My muffler was screwed soo i had to fork out a new one, the seals in my steering wheel column were gone so more money gone there and insurance is a killer. I still love it thu. Im planning to put a Racing/Power chip into it to get some more power, ground wires, exaust and extractors, ac schnitzer badges and interior accesories. I bought it for 4,500 AUD dollars. Ive spent soo far over 1,000AUD on it just on the seals and muffler. Hrmmmmmmm and im only 16 Great lil car. Does anyone have ideas on boosting performace?
Domingues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
pada
AF Newbie

Hi Wrangler,

Wow, only 70k on a 20 year old car? Sweet...

On the point of the condensation under the trunk lid, the e30 BMW was known for leaky trunks ... it may be the seal, but more likely the problem is caused by water entering around the rear window seal OR from the area of the flowthrough vent located on the left and right C-pillars. A way to check is to look and see if there is water standing in the bottom of the Jack Well on the left side of the trunk and (less likely) under the battery on the right. A great source to check is www.BMWe30.net . There's a section called Articles and Tips that has a bunch of great info on things like this ... I seem to remember that this was addressed there.

Good luck,
Paul (pada)
89 325ia
204k and still looks new!

Last edited by pada; 02-08-2006 at 11:08 PM.
pada is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series