Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Question Dunlop SP 60 good or bad?

I couldn't find any opinions or reviews on this tire anywhere on the net except some on tirerack, two of which make no sense.

Tire link and Dunlop tech demo:
http://www.dunloptires.com/catalog/sp60.html

Specs:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...irePageLocQty=

Opinions from TireRack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P

I believe these tires are fairly new to the market.
205/65SR15 are 56$ each on Tirerack.
I wanted to get yokohama Avid TRZ's but they weigh 2-3lb more and dont look aggressive enough for snow (I live in NYC).

P.S
I have a 95' Accord EX-V6 and the original tires are 205/60/R15 but these SP 60s come in 5% more side wall meaning 60mph means 62mph and it will be 1/2" taller is that ok? I do have a lot of room around my tires. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
I basically need these before it snows. I currently have Falken 512's and they are great except they wear rediculously fast and they spin off start in the rain fairly easily (though they don't hydroplane even at 80).
I will not get snow tires, I can't afford it, I'm too lazy, and I don't need it in NYC.

I appreciate any comments on this tire.
RightWingZionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Re: Dunlop SP 60 good or bad?

NM got the TRZ's. I need new tires on the fronts and I don't think it is smart aerodynamically to put larger ones on front and smaller ones on back even if it is slightly different.
I hope the 2 lb added weight vs my current falkens is not much of a problem.
I'll tell you how these perform in two weeks- one month.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

Hmm called tirerack to make sure these tires come in pairs for one axle. The lady said you can put these tires on either side because they are "asymmetrical" but I think she is wrong; yes they are asymmetric but it looks like one side of the tread is directional for spitting out water if you look at the pic, and that means it is also directional. Also, it does say one side has to face outwards, meaning if you take a tire on the right front directed towards the front and put it on the left front, it will face the wrong way.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

RightWing,

I think you've got some terms confused - assuming the photo in the link that was provided is correct.

The tire is the same on the left half of the tread as it is on the right half. That means it is symetrical. Asymmetric means they are different - usually in the form of an extra rib.

And the photo shows a non-directional tire - no matter how you swap the tire around, it will always look like the photo. A directional tire has an arrow pointed look to the tread pattern.

BUT most tread designs have some sort of angularity to them that makes the look like the should come on pairs, but for practical purposes this doesn't really affect wet traction.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

You are right about the SP 60; I was talking about the yokohama Avid TRZ I ended up ordering from tirerack.com
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...Model=AVID+TRZ
But I'm betting they come in pairs for axles if you order two, since people would not change two side tires but for front/back if they want to change two.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
RightWingZionist
AF Regular

I dunno, I got the tires for the front axle the tread pattern for each tire look like they're facing in opposite directions. I hope this doesn't affect anything.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
MyNameIsBill
AF Newbie

Just bought a set of five Dunlop SP 60 tires for my second vehicle, a Triumph TR6 (the fifth tire is for the spare). The size I chose to put on my OE steel wheels are: 205 x 65 x 15. These are awesome tires. Consumer Digest rated these a "Best Buy" along with the Dunlop SP Sport Signature tire. For my money, the SP 60 provides a (limited) 65,000 mile treadlife warranty, excellent wet traction, sharp handling and a smooth ride.
MyNameIsBill is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels