Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
bliss
AF Newbie

New tire noise

I have a 1998 Honda CRV and needed new tires on the back. I have Michelin's on the front that are about 1 year old. I went to Sam's and got Michelin X Radial DT put on the back (205 70 15). When I was driving home everything was fine when I was accelerating -but when I was coasting to a stop - the wheels began to hum very loudly. When I speed up again it stops. Did I get the wrong tires - or should I have had the newer ones put on the front? Should I go back and have them do something? Thanks for your help.
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
NFS_SRT-10
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to NFS_SRT-10
i don't know what the problem may be but just an FYI for you and everyone else, when buying new tires but not replacing all 4 put the one(s) that have the better traction in the back regardless if its FWD or RWD it give your car better traction and reduces the chance of fishtail and other stuff like that

Dodge Talk

"it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun"
NFS_SRT-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 09:20 AM   #3
bliss
AF Newbie

Maybe I've asked a stupid question. Hope someone will help me with this - cause I don't know whether to go back to the tire shop. I also noticed they have 32 pounds of air in them - is this too much? Thanks
Old 07-20-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
NFS_SRT-10
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to NFS_SRT-10
32 sounds about right but look on the side of the tire and it should say...i think the noise is normal to an extent cuz they are new tires, but just to make sure call the tire place and ask or go up there sry i couldn't be n e more help

ps let us know whats up so we know for future referance (i.e. if it happens to us)

Dodge Talk

"it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun"
NFS_SRT-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
bliss
AF Newbie

I let the pressure down to 26 psi and the tires are still singing like a bird. It is very loud and annoying. I guess I will go back to the dealership. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:12 PM   #6
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
hmmm thats very interesting....

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:46 AM   #7
Luke@tirerack
AF Enthusiast

26 psi is the recommended tire pressure for the CRV .... as far as the tire noise you may want to get your alignment checked ... that model tire is not notoriously noisey

Objects in the mirror appear ... to be losing !!!
Luke@tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote