Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lamborghini > Murciélago (Murcielago)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Murcielago R-GT . . . slow but steady progress

Well as with any new race car progress can be slow, frustrating, and expensive. The new Lambo R-GT is running well but hampered by a few gremlins at it first race debut. Here are a few articles for your reading pleasure . . .

"Eagerly awaited, the Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT racer, first unveiled at last month's Frankfurt Motor Show, hit the track today at Monza in the two free practice sessions available to the FIA GT series runners before qualifying proper takes place tomorrow.
By entering the R-GT, Reiter Engineering is also making its return to the Championship, after an absence of nearly two years. The German team, led by Hans Reiter, last took part in the final round of the 2001 season, finishing 5th with Peter Kox and Oliver Gavin. The team is now running the Lamborghini Murciélago R-GT for the first time, experienced Audi-contracted Sportscar drivers Rinaldo Capello and, five times Le Mans 24 Hour winner, Tom Kristensen at the wheel.

Looking every inch a purposeful, aggressive racer, the dark coloured car, devoid of any sponsors, ran a total of 34 laps as test driver Rinaldo Capello got to grips with the car around the high speed Monza track. The driver's reported excellent handling from the Murcielago R-GT but were hampered by a lack of top end speed on Monza's sweepingly fast straights and curves.

In the first free practice, Capello managed a best of 1:51.030, 18th fastest, 6.3 seconds away from the fastest time set by the 22 BMS SCuderia Italia Ferrari, while the second, slightly faster session, saw him improve to a 1:50.889, again 18th fastest, 6.505 seconds off the fastest time set by the Force One Chrysler Viper.

Manfred Fitzgerald: "The idea behind this programme goes back to a year ago, due to customer demand for a car based on the Murciélago which could compete in the FIA GT Championship. The company gave thought to this matter, and got the approval to go ahead in late July. We will be racing for the first time seven weeks after starting the development time. This race is part of our development process, and although we don't expect much in terms of results, it is important to see whether the development is in the right direction. We have already identified some problem areas such as the top speed. But the car is reliable and everything is going to plan."

Rinaldo Capello: "The car is very new; we only started testing two weeks ago in Vallelunga, when we had some big problems. We finally managed to run nearly 500 km at Zeltweg. The top speed is our main problem, but Monza is a good opportunity to test and develop the car for next year."

Tom Kristensen: "Dindo has done the whole testing programme, so he will do qualifying. But it will be difficult to aim for pole - maybe if it's raining. I drove the car for the first time today, and we need more top speed and acceleration. Apart from that, the car is good round the corners. But this is a good opportunity to compare ourselves to the rest of the competition, as it is difficult when running alone. It is certain that the FIA GT is very competitive and strong. We need to work on the car and see for next year."
raven1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Well these things happen . . .

Many of of us have been waiting to see a Lambo race competively for a long time and well . . . these things happen. See below . . .

The Murciélago R-GT concluded its Monza debut following the morning qualifying session. The car ran in competitive conditions for the first time in yesterday’s two 90-minute FIA GT practice sessions, and again today in the 45-minute qualifying session.
The three outings have provided development team Reiter Engineering, and drivers Rinaldo Capello and Tom Kristensen, with the opportunity to further test the car on the fast straights offered by the Monza circuit.

“The practice and qualifying sessions have afforded us an excellent opportunity to put the car through its paces,” said Lamborghini’s Marketing Manager Manfred Fitzgerald. “The testing programme undertaken over the last three weeks at Vallelunga and A1-Ring circuits has proved the car’s handling abilities. At Monza we have had the opportunity to demonstrate the R-GT’s reliability as well as improve further on its agility, although the nature of Monza, as a high-speed circuit, has shown that our focus must now be placed on gaining top-end speed.

“The lack of speed seen in practice was a result of an engine problem that is difficult to rectify trackside and, although we changed the engine overnight on Friday, to continue further would simply cause further unnecessary engine damage. In this respect, it is right that we conclude our weekend at this point although, of course, it is disappointing that we cannot compete tomorrow. We have already identified the areas that require work and we will address these on the team’s return to Reiter Engineering.

“We have gained extremely valuable data from this weekend at Monza, which was our objective in coming to this fast circuit. The opportunity to attend, provided by the FIA, allowed us to obtain the team and driver feedback we are looking for at this stage of the development programme. It was especially useful to have both Capello and Kristensen in the car over two days.”
Old 10-19-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
hiphophomer
Banned

Re: Well these things happen . . .

aww thats bad news man cuz i wanted lamborghini to win since they are my favorite company of all time...too bad about that stuff with top speed,accelleration,engine problems...oh well lamborghini is still my favorite!
hiphophomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #4
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Yeah it is too bad, but they will get it together. I many people will try and compare the Murci R-GT to the Prodrive 550/Ferrari 575GTC. Both of the cars are of course based on a car that has been out for over 6 years (I think since 1996). The Murci is a much new car with NO racing experience (not even like the Diablo). Furthermore any built by Prodrive is going to be top class (Aston Martin maybe next year for Prodrive). By next year the Murci should be sorted out, just in time for the AMLS.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Sean
AF Enthusiast

Oh well. I would have loved to watch the Lambo in the race, but I guess I will have to wait.

Top speed seemed like their main problem, however they never said how fast they were actually going. I wonder how fast it will be when they work out all the kinks?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:03 AM   #6
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

Looking at their practice/qualifying times. They were the slowest of the GT cars by aprox. 5-6 secs per lap. However, they were faster than all the N-GT cars.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
Gafoto
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gafoto Send a message via MSN to Gafoto
Re: Murcielago R-GT . . . slow but steady progress

If the Murcielagos beat out all the vipers and run with the Ferraris I'll be impressed. I don't expect them to compete with the C5-Rs though....
Gafoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:08 PM   #8
raven1822
AF Enthusiast

I hope they do well too. But if they ever develop the car to the point where they are competing with the Ferrari's expect them to compete with the C5R's as well. Why?? Because the Ferrari's have beat the Corvettes the last 4 times out. Just a little something to think about.