Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
2early
AF Newbie

67 pontiac bonneville-Need help confirming if electrical/wiring harness!

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.

I have a 67 Pontiac Bonneville that just, what I think, electrically died on me. It's not doing anything. NO lights or nothing. This is the first time this has happened, not to mention, I've been the owner since Jan 2007.

I started it up and drove it 2 blocks and it completely shut off. I waited a few secs and turned the key and it started up, but put it in drive and went another block and it died for good.

I applied booster cables to attempt a jump but nothing. Took the battery out and had it checked at AutoZone and the battery is perfect. I started looking at the battery terminals, they were both corroded badly, but the AutoZone Manager stated that it wouldn't be the terminals preventing a complete electrical shut down as such.

I even connected a new battery to the Bonneville but nothing still. I'm thinking wiring harness or something electrical.

Also, what would case battery terminals to corrode so fast? Is there a special heavy duty type that I can use to prevent this or is there a short or open the electrical system of the car?

Can anyone diagnose this issue?

Thanks,
2early
2early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 67 pontiac bonneville-Need help confirming if electrical/wiring harness!

Look closely at the cables, also starter connections, check the ground cable closely on the block or frame.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2early
the AutoZone Manager stated that it wouldn't be the terminals preventing a complete electrical shut down as such.
The manager's statement is completely wrong. A fault with the terminals (or the connections that maxwedge listed above) will, without doubt cause such a complete shut down.

Also check the alternator connections or ground. Even with a bad terminal,power from the alternator should keep the car running unless there is a wiring fault.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
Peterbylt
AF Newbie

I had a similar problem twice on 2 different vehicles.
On mt 72 Chevy ElCamino the fusible link between the battery connection to the starter and the fuse pannel corroded inside the insulation and caused no power to the fuse block.
The second incident was with my 67 Camaro. There is a fusible wire between the battery and the fuse block. The wire burned out and the car was dead.
Neither fusible links showed from the outside.
If you have good connections to the batery with your big cables, look to see if there is any power on the fuse block. If not, trace it (I think it's a #8 or 10 red wire) backwards toward the battery.
Peterbylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

This is cheap and the first thing I'd replace, the ignition switch, just to rule it out and probably not a bad idea on an old car.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
poncho62
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to poncho62

On a 67 GM ...there is a secondary power wire other than the large one to the starter. Its about 10 gauge and is red, sometimes it runs from the starter, sometimes from the battery. This wire runs everything except when the starter is cranking. Sounds to me, this wire has lost contact somewhere, not allowing power to get to the ign switch etc....I dont think 67s had fuseable links...may be wrong.

Check out my forum for older cars.

link removed

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 01-14-2008 at 12:22 PM.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Poncho62 - Please refer to the Community Guidelines as to the advertising of other forums as it is not allowed here. Thank you.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars