Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:22 PM   #16
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
I completely agree with what your saying, if only we could get GM to listen to what we have to say somehow. I never meant GM had superior styling, although they do have the resources to do better than what they have been doing.

JJ

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:32 PM   #17
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Quote:
Originally posted by Z28Josh
Hey ILike2drivecars, you know just as well as anyone else that the GTO is not up to par with GM standards in styling(maybe they should have had Harley Earle design it) Jon i know you know about cars so don't go bragging about how you get to drive that undermodeled car. I love the fact that they are trying to bring it back out, but it looks like they lost ambition when they put it up on the drawing board. Since they are not going to bring back out my beloved Camaro, it should be time for a Firehawk revival shouldn't it? Anyway, when they start brainstorming they need to come up with a little more ideas than what i've been seeing from GM lately (i.e. New Sunfire)\

JJ
Josh, I will definatley agree with you, it is an undermodeled car, but not mechanically, only physically. The engine is the same as the WS6, and camaro ss, a 5.7Litre LS1, which is nothing to laugh at. The part that pisses me off is the fact that they went with such an unoriginal design. If you are going to bring out one of the great muscle cars of the past for a makeover, do a good job, dont decide to half-ass it and make it appear as though you simply dropped a better engine in a grand am and gave it a cool grill.

When it comes to styling, every car company has potential, a lot of the companies nowadays are going for a more futuristic look, as seen with nissan and its new R35, not bad in my opinion but lacking in some areas, as well as pontiac with its concept of the Solstice, I honestly like this car and should it come on the market, would buy one (if I had money). I agree though, I believe that if this car is to be sold to the consumer, the consumer should have ideas thrown in by themselves as to what they want out of a car appearance wise.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #18
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

In my opinion the new GTO should look more like the 2004 Grand Prix GPX, but they decided to use the better styling for a Grand Prix rather than the GTO. ILike2DriveCars you have said what I have pretty much been trying to say since I first saw a pic of the new GTO. I would just love to see what Delorean has to say about the destroying of his creation... Anyway, GM does have the recources to be better than any car company out there, even Fiat, but they just aren't doing it... Maybe we will see more from them in the future.
SuPeRcAr_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 09:50 PM   #19
jon@af
The Media Guy

I think that some of it may have a little to do with money matters. They are making money, they know that their GTO will sell no matter who thinks it's ugly, simply because "Hey, it's a GTO!" Essentially, if they make the quota needed to keep their car in production, they dont care, and will continue to not care until a better design comes along.

A Blog By Swigz

Old 02-14-2003, 11:03 AM   #20
Hudson
Old Mod

I really don't understand the debate. The new GTO follows the SAME formula as all other GTOs. Delorean's recipe was followed.

The new GTO is the two-door version of a family sedan powered by the largest engine available. The new GTO is RWD, stick, and V8-powered in a relatively small package. What's to complain about?

Had the GTO survived continuously from its introduction to today, how would it be different? With idea of being turbocharged in the 1980s and possibly (probably) going FWD in the early 1990s, THIS is where the GTO SHOULD be today. The Holden-based GTO is the heir to the original GTO.

Just because it doesn't have the side-of-a-barn aerodynamics of earliest GTOS? Just because it has a wing (remember the Judge was offered with a wing)? Just because it's built in Australia? Not good enough reasons to complain about this edition.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #21
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Except, that's not what the debate was about. We're discussing how cars nowadays aren't made with as much ambition as they used to be.

AF User Guidelines

Old 02-14-2003, 04:51 PM   #22
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Hudson
I really don't understand the debate. The new GTO follows the SAME formula as all other GTOs. Delorean's recipe was followed.

The new GTO is the two-door version of a family sedan powered by the largest engine available. The new GTO is RWD, stick, and V8-powered in a relatively small package. What's to complain about?

Had the GTO survived continuously from its introduction to today, how would it be different? With idea of being turbocharged in the 1980s and possibly (probably) going FWD in the early 1990s, THIS is where the GTO SHOULD be today. The Holden-based GTO is the heir to the original GTO.

Just because it doesn't have the side-of-a-barn aerodynamics of earliest GTOS? Just because it has a wing (remember the Judge was offered with a wing)? Just because it's built in Australia? Not good enough reasons to complain about this edition.
I understand what you just said, but most of the points you stated about the GTO are the ones we are NOT arguing about (the RWD, 4-speed manual, midsize 2-door w/ a large engine). But we are debating the looks. Tell me on thing that this new "GTO" has that the old ones made famous (vertice stacked headlights, VERY aggressive looks, etc.). Ford's 2004-5 Mustang concept is a perfect example of what the GTO should be. That Stang recalls every distinctive styling feature that the 60's Stangs made so famous. Is there even an ounce of chrome on this "GTO"??? And Pontiac should've designed their own GTO, not taken the style of the Holden. Does that Holden even have anything to do with the old Pontiac GTO, or is the name a coincidence? I don't really care what anyone says, Pontiac did not follow through with the legendary muscle car: the GTO.

And BTW, it's not a wing, it's a spoiler. Wings = RICE.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #23
jon@af
The Media Guy

This just goes to show that the manufacturers of today just pretty much dont care. IMO

A Blog By Swigz

Old 02-28-2003, 11:25 AM   #24
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ILike2DriveCars
This just goes to show that the manufacturers of today just pretty much dont care. IMO
i disagree, i mean who wants to drive a 400 hp rectangle on wheels. whoever designed the new gto probably thinks it looks awesome (I Do)the new gto is sleek and aerodynamic compared to it's predecessor and still beefy in the muscle. the last fast box shaped car was the Buick Grand national, that kinda styling went out in the 80's
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #25
BLU CIVIC
調整器

Send a message via MSN to BLU CIVIC Send a message via Yahoo to BLU CIVIC
HERE'S A CHANCE TO RELIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD....:hehehe:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955_delorean_c.jpg (56.3 KB, 78 views)
1991 Civic Sedan DX - 185.8whp/139tq. Tuned on NepTune by J.Mills
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT - Stock
2011 CR-Z - Stock
BLU CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:16 PM   #26
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Paonessa

i disagree, i mean who wants to drive a 400 hp rectangle on wheels. whoever designed the new gto probably thinks it looks awesome (I Do)the new gto is sleek and aerodynamic compared to it's predecessor and still beefy in the muscle. the last fast box shaped car was the Buick Grand national, that kinda styling went out in the 80's
Boxes on wheels? The muscle cars of the 60's were anything but boxes on wheels. They were beautifly styled and packe d a lot of punch under the hood. Every car was unique and manufacturers battled for the bigger V8. Now, cars are 4-bangers and V6s. Most of the roads in normal towns are covered with minivans and little Japanese "sports cars". If it wasn't for exotics and true sports cars, we wouldn't have anything to look at in the car world. Yes, muscle cars are returning, but they will never be the same as back in the day. Yea, the designer of the new GTO probably thinks it looks good... too bad it wasn't Delorean (or anyone from Pontiac) designing the car, then we would all think it looks good.

My Webshots
Old 03-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #27
jon@af
The Media Guy

As said previous to this post, Yes, indeed the creator the HOLDEN MANERO likes how the new GTO looks. That kinda bothers me. I would have had no problems if the GTO looked like that by someones own design from pontiac. But pontiac didnt even design the car! It's a take off of an already existing car. Granted this car is in Austrailia, but that means that someone already has a car that looks like that so basically you dont have something unique, you have something that someone else had first and the American branch decided to slap a different badge on it. I myself thought the original GTO was badass, it had a mean look to it to go with its awesome power. The new GTO is a Grand Am/Grand Prix hybrid with a V8; Yippee.

A Blog By Swigz

Old 03-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #28
SuPeRcAr_MaN
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ILike2DriveCars
As said previous to this post, Yes, indeed the creator the HOLDEN MANERO likes how the new GTO looks. That kinda bothers me. I would have had no problems if the GTO looked like that by someones own design from pontiac. But pontiac didnt even design the car! It's a take off of an already existing car. Granted this car is in Austrailia, but that means that someone already has a car that looks like that so basically you dont have something unique, you have something that someone else had first and the American branch decided to slap a different badge on it. I myself thought the original GTO was badass, it had a mean look to it to go with its awesome power. The new GTO is a Grand Am/Grand Prix hybrid with a V8; Yippee.
Finally, someone that feels the same way I do. I am excited about the powerful V8 and RWD, but I can't get excited over the looks...

My Webshots
Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #29
Ferryman
AF Newbie

Hey guys how about some perspective? The car you guys are getting as a GTO is infact a nose job challenged version of the (GM) Holden Monaro.

The Monaro was an Australian muscle car of the 60's/70's available in a variety of configurations but the gun version was the 69 327 Chev power 4 speed Saginaw 10 bolt diff. ( had an family friend with one ) The Monaro was the 2 door variant of the 4 door sedan/wagon, it eventually got killed off as a 2 door (with 350 Chev 4spd)and became a trim/power option in 4 door form for 1972/3 before it was killed off in a supercar scare here. the last 2 door cars were called LS and were fitted with the local 308 V8 and luxo trim.

The new Monaro started as a backroom after hours engineering project using as much of the current Commodore (4 door sedan/wagon RWD) bits as they could. Some photos snuck out to the local press and peopl,e started putting hard currency down to own one. The Monaro looks good, everyone here in Australia agree the pointiac nose job is woeful but thats what pontiac did to make it a part of their lineup. By the way locally (in Australia) they're building a limited edition(50 units) with a 427 Big block 6 speed and all the other go fast bits. Now thats a modern muscle car and no crap Pontiac nose either.

Fun costs money, how hard do you wanna laugh?
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:23 AM   #30
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

I'm going to put my original thread post in another forum and see what other people think about it...

AF User Guidelines