Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
2early
AF Newbie

67 Bonneville: Switching from drums to rotors

I own a 67 Pontiac Bonneville and for the first time, since I've owned it, attempted installing new brakes. It was difficult because I'm not familiar with the drum brake system. My question, is it possible to switch from drums to rotors? I want to change for several reasons. Mostly because I want to and prefer doing any and all work myself. The last classic auto mechanic attempted stealing some parts and decals from mine. If this can be done, does it require any specials tools to complete this job or can it be done with your everyday toolbox from Sears. Are rotors more expensive than drum brake system? To any auto mechanic expert that runs across this thread, please share your valued experience and comments on this matter. I need input on this. I don't want to make the wrong decision concerning my classic. Oh, would making this change devalue my classic?
Thanks in advance.
2early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 67 Bonneville: Switching from drums to rotors

There should be several companies that make conversion kits, I don't know your backround but they come with pretty thorough instructions, the master must also be replaced, proportioning valve installed plus the required hard ware at each wheel, bleed all the brakes, new front lines. Google Pontiac disc brake conversion to find the companies making these kits, not cheap, usually 700-900.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

There may or may not be a "kit" for upgading to disc brakes for the B-body. I haven't seen one.

All is not 'lost". The '69-'71 models equipped with discs from the factory, can be "cannabalized" to convert the '67. You'll need the whole schmere. That is: spindles, rotors, calipers, master cylinder (they ARE different) and maybe some of the lines. ALL the "hardware"... (nuts and bolts)

All the "rubber" parts should be replaced with new. Vitually all of it is still available through "normal" parts sources. Ames Performance is a great Pontiac-specific supplier of parts for older cars.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

I think 2early may be wanting a 4-wheel disc conversion, while MrPbody's excellent suggestion will give you front wheel disc brakes only....... so you will still have to service the rear drums.

IMHO the best reason to consider front disc brakes is for better braking performance and feel, especially brake fade from overheating. If you are not fading the brakes and are on a budget, it may simply be easier and cheaper to learn how to service drums.

Drum brakes initially appear to be complicated, but they really are pretty simple. There are some good, free on-line videos and guides to help you. That and a few dollars worth of drum brake tools, and you will be swapping these parts like a pro.

Generally, drum brakes tend to be a bit cheaper for parts than disc, but individual circumstances vary a lot. Most drums for older cars seem to be thick enough to machine several times, but some cheaper discs seem to be one-time-use only these days.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote