Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
lojbeck
AF Newbie

98 Intrepid heater problem

It seems to be the time of year...

I am having a problem with the heater on my 98 2.7 Intrepid. Will not blow hot air when idling (just warm). After several minutes of driving with heat on air temp goes from hot to warm. It might just be me, but it sems like the air flow is cooler coming out of the defrost vents than from the dash/floor vents. Thermostat has been replaced (proper operation verified before installing). Had to replace gooseneck and heater coil supply tubing due to a leaking bleed valve. There apears to be NO air in the system. Heater core was backflushed, there appears to be no restriction. Hose temp on exit line is aprox. 15 deg. cooler than supply line when fan is running. Blend door actuator was replaced last spring (motor shorted). When temp control is moved from hot to cold temp changes drastically and door can be heard moving. On-board ATC diagnostics indicate all is good. Engine is running at normal operating temperature, not overheating or running cold. Is there a cabin filter or inlet supply for the air that could possibly be obstructed? Air flow seems adequate, not restricted. AC works fine. Any ideas from anyone?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
lojbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
vpracer
AF Newbie

Re: 98 Intrepid heater problem

does that have the climate control digital read out and push button to change the settings if it does might wanna reset everything by the battrey there is a plug that runs from battrey terminal to the fuse block by battrey i know mine looks like a black long plug pull it apart for 5 min then reconect that suppose to reset everything
vpracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
lojbeck
AF Newbie

The system is a non-ATC model (manual control). I am begining to suspect a mal-functioning heater control blend door actuator, which was just replaced earlier this year. It may not be properly seated. The actuator is shifting but I can't verify if it is shifting properly or clsoing the door all of the way. This actuator is just about impossible to access.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
lojbeck
AF Newbie

Hot air at last! No more cold footsies!

There was indeed air in the system. After finding the proper fill procedure via a TSB, I corrected the problem by first removing the inlet and exit hose from the heater core. I backfilled the heater core with coolant then connectd the supply hose. I then backfilled the return line with coolant and connected to the fill resevoir. Before starting the engine I opened the bleed valve. The engine was then run at a fast idle for 10 minutes. Only a small amount of air escaped thru the bleed valve. The secret is to open the bleed valve before filling the system (while engine is cold). The system should be filled slowly. A hose can be attached to the bleed valve and it can be connected to a clean container so that escaping coolant can be recovered and reused.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
thegreenhornet95
AF Newbie

I'm having problem with my 1995 suburban. No heat on the highway but have heat in park at idle
thegreenhornet95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid