Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Maintenance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Maintenance problems, fixes.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:43 PM   #1
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

Service Engine lights up again!

man, the thing lit up again after a hard launch from a corner. wonder whats up with my P11 (2001). everything seems to be working okay.

anyone know how to reset the ECU on a 2001? would unplugging the battery do the trick? im planning on installing a fiamm airhorn tomorrow. got a set today.

if I inplug the battery, would it default the ECM settings? i had it reprogrammed because the exhaust fumes had terrible sulfer smell.
1998 Prelude SS - TEIN HA with upper pillows, SSR Integrals 17x7 with SP8000 (215/45), GReddy Evo catback, Iceman Comp Intake, DC Sports header, Apexi VAFC, ZEX 55 shot with bottle heater, NOS blanket, Factory Body Kit, Spoon F/R tower bars, JDM Foglamps, Carbon Fiber trim, Razo pedals &knobs, Fiamm Dual air horn

Future Mods: Lighten car, 2nd 10lbs nitrous bottle would be nice too.

2001 G20 P11 AT- TEIN NA, TRM Snipers 17x7 with Potenza RE910 (215/45), Arospeed Dual-outlet Muffler, K&N Drop-in Airfilter, WW Front Lip, Nakamichi MB75 1DIN 6CD Changer/Receiver, FIAMM Dual Air horns, Levoc Pedals, PIAA (H4 Superwhite H3 Ion Crystal, 168 SuperWhite)

2002 WRX MT- TEIN HA's with upper pillow mounts, 1000Miglia HT3 17x7 with sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17, painted side skirts, Cusco front & rear strut bar, Whiteline rear swaybar, aluminum endlinks, Blitz NUR Catback, HKS seq. BOV, factory front lip, rear valance, Kartboy short shifter and bushings.

Future mods: dressup wheels with Potenza S03 225/45/17 tires, TurboXS UTec, maybe an uppipe. by then, it'll be fast enough.
fiamm dual air horns.
kenchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 04:32 AM   #2
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
.MAYBE THIS WILL HELP !!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif bomb.gif (22.1 KB, 154 views)

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:50 AM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

Ken, take it in and do some serious brain-f*cking until they solve the problem. Don't buy any crap like fluctuating fluids.

I've said this before to you: if the light is on, then there is something wrong with the car! Perhaps you should take it to a different dealer than the previous time. Your car is under friggin' warranty, they *have an obligation* to fix it.

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:29 AM   #4
Mrcoilover
AF Enthusiast

I'm with him!
Tein type NA (1.7)
Nokya Arctic purple headlight bulbs
Rims coming soon...

"I always ride dropped, how bout you?":finger4:
Mrcoilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:57 PM   #5
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

primeraman- thanx! I NEED that!!! hahahahaha! man, this car sure has some attention disorder... it's probably that arospeed muffler I got on there along with the K&N.

thanx for the input, guys...but until the thing just starts knocking or smoking or exploding...Im just gonna drive it. the thing turned off automatically last time after about a week driving it around. if it starts flashing, I'll take it in. if the motor dies, then why not get me a DET?!

btw, got my airhorns installed today. I didnt take off the neg. wire off the battery when I wired the thing cause I wasn't sure if the ECM would go back to default and make the exhaust smell like yellow stone national park.
1998 Prelude SS - TEIN HA with upper pillows, SSR Integrals 17x7 with SP8000 (215/45), GReddy Evo catback, Iceman Comp Intake, DC Sports header, Apexi VAFC, ZEX 55 shot with bottle heater, NOS blanket, Factory Body Kit, Spoon F/R tower bars, JDM Foglamps, Carbon Fiber trim, Razo pedals &knobs, Fiamm Dual air horn

2001 G20 P11 AT- TEIN NA, TRM Snipers 17x7 with Potenza RE910 (215/45), Arospeed Dual-outlet Muffler, K&N Drop-in Airfilter, WW Front Lip, Nakamichi MB75 1DIN 6CD Changer/Receiver, FIAMM Dual Air horns, Levoc Pedals, PIAA (H4 Superwhite H3 Ion Crystal, 168 SuperWhite)

2002 WRX MT- TEIN HA's with upper pillow mounts, 1000Miglia HT3 17x7 with sumitomo HTR+ 225/45/17, painted side skirts, Cusco front & rear strut bar, Whiteline rear swaybar, aluminum endlinks, Blitz NUR Catback, HKS seq. BOV, factory front lip, rear valance, Kartboy short shifter and bushings.

Future mods: dressup wheels with Potenza S03 225/45/17 tires, TurboXS UTec, maybe an uppipe. by then, it'll be fast enough.
fiamm dual air horns.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:56 AM   #6
doodledo824
AF Regular

don't worry about it, i had mine come on 3 times. Take it to the dealer it's probably a bad o2 sensor .
doodledo824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 02:09 AM   #7
primera man
"P-Man"

I agree with Alex....take the car back and dont let them fuck you around. Camp on there doorstep if you have too.
I'd be writting a letter to there company boss and telling them how you have been dicked around long enough and its not on to be treated like it.

YOU WANT SOME ACTION

View All My Models Here.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:16 PM   #8
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

time for some kongfu fighting!!!

but kinda too lazy... hehehe...

fiamm dual air horns.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:53 PM   #9
primera man
"P-Man"

Quote:
Originally posted by kenchan
time for some kongfu fighting!!!

but kinda too lazy... hehehe...
hehehe.....you have to sort it out ...if it was me it would have driven me mad

View All My Models Here.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:23 PM   #10
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

im still trying to come up with a good reason why I need to buy the is300 next year to the wife... so hopefully my G will die and it would be a good time to trade it in.

may have parts to sell by next summer. hehehehe. tein's for $500 shipped or someting like that.

now let's see how many people want my car do die now. hahaha.
well, wouldn't count on it. it's probably my muffler and airfilter...

fiamm dual air horns.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:05 AM   #11
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

hum.... still on.... i should get the car checked next week if it doesn't go off over the weekend. shucks

btw, got a prescription for the new altima (brochures and cdr ,etc)

fiamm dual air horns.
Old 10-19-2001, 10:07 AM   #12
Mrcoilover
AF Enthusiast

take it to the car doctor. he he. Might have a cold or something. :o
Tein type NA (1.7)
Nokya Arctic purple headlight bulbs
Rims coming soon...

"I always ride dropped, how bout you?":finger4:
Mrcoilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:02 AM   #13
G-Forces
Banned

Quote:
im still trying to come up with a good reason why I need to buy the is300 next year to the wife... so hopefully my G will die and it would be a good time to trade it in.
Well draining the oil out of the G would go a long way to reaching your IS300 goal. I think turbo mag has a couple of nice moded IS300's this month.
G-Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 11:52 AM   #14
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: Service Engine lights up again!

Quote:
man, the thing lit up again after a hard launch from a corner. wonder whats up with my P11 (2001). everything seems to be working okay.

anyone know how to reset the ECU on a 2001? would unplugging the battery do the trick? im planning on installing a fiamm airhorn tomorrow. got a set today.

if I inplug the battery, would it default the ECM settings? i had it reprogrammed because the exhaust fumes had terrible sulfer smell.
OK, a couple of things here.......

Who told you they reprogrammed your ECU to get ride of the sulfer smell? Reprogramming the ECU is not possible. The eproms (I hope I got that right - I don't know shit about electronics) are read only. You can only write to them once. Also, the sulpher smell comes from the fuel and the cat interacting. Reprogramming the ECU (if it were even possible) wouldn't change that.

If you are getting a MIL, especially a recurring MIL, you should take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to a Consult. Any tech worth a rat can pull the codes and reset them. You have an OBD-II car so the ECU must store those codes. A decent tech should be able to tell from the codes and other things what is going on with your engine. Hell, they can even give you a print out from the Consult. Ask for it. At the very least, if you still don't trust your dealer you should be able to take the print out somewhere else and show it to someone an maybe get some indication whether they think they know what's going on.

Get it on a Consult. Should run about $65 or so for a diagnostic check.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 03:08 PM   #15
kenchan
AF Enthusiast

gforces- heeheh. but that would void the warranty, right? cant get much trad-in value if that's the case. not sure though, those IS300's are pretty expensive for what they are.

p10det- hummm...i think they re-programmed the ECM...not sure if that has anything to do with the EPROM. what i didn't want was to get the sulfer smell back if I took off the neg off the battery during the fiamm install too long.

ended up not unplugging it. kaboom! just kiddin.

fiamm dual air horns.