Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Doyl888
AF Newbie

opinion on this 240

I am currently shopping for my own 240sx, and am starting to consider one that may not be perfect at the moment, because im going to do an engine swap, and body mods, so i was looking at this one...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/578177325.html

what kind of life can i expect out of the engine of a 240sx, because i dont know how long it will take for me to get money to swap it, and any other opinions? I also saw this one...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/547285015.html

which has a little body rust but low miles, but its an automatic...

and i saw this one...
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/552712980.html

most expensive, but looks the cleanest...

Idk i have been looking at many others but i offered a range of what i am looking at here, advice is appreciated
Doyl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
lexidrifts13
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to lexidrifts13
Re: opinion on this 240

there are so many 240's to choose from in california!! are these the only choices you have over there?? if u got the auto tranny.. would u be changing it out to manual later? what kinda swap u gonna do? sr20? from what i know.. as long as the engine has been well maintained they have a long life.. dont rush to buy anything if u dont have to... there is always a deal right around the corner lol

ls1 240sx by daft innovations
http://www.daftinnovations.com
http://www.myspace.com/alexisLrich
lexidrifts13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Firewind
AF Newbie

A 240sx motor can last awhile if it's well taken care of. You'll have to replace your standard items still, sparks, wires, belts etc... I've seen the motors last anywhere from 170K to 200K+

Your frist pick there looks ok, but seems to have a lot of body paint needed. :P Also gotta replace a clutch, which isn't too hard to do.

Your second pick has rust. Rust is hard to deal with and hard to keep from coming back and can cost you a lot to take care of. Plus if there is more rust in critical places, like in the suspention areas it can make it worthless to put money into

Honestly, it looks like a really nice 240sx at the bottem, yes it's expencive, but still, would you rather have a car that is going to break down or a car that isn't worth putting money into because of rust issues? But make sure it doesn't have rust, or just was covered up.

I'd go for the last one and talk them down a bit. It also gives you opportunities to deside what motor you want in the car, stick to your KA24E that is in the car, swap to an SR20DE, or a KA24DE, you have options, and won't be rushed into things because the car is falling appart.

Options may be slim, and maybe you want to wait till later. I know in Cali, 240sx's are a dime a dozen, however that's often not the case in other states with cooler climates. My car costs me about 3 times as much as they do in Cali. Another option is to buy out of state.

I hope this helps
Good luck!
Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
slideways...
AF Enthusiast

yeah in minnesota right now there are 2 240s for sale, both riced out to the max and way the fuck overpriced. here this is what we have to offer i guess

this one is 4500, bone stock except for the gay kit and an intake and exhaust.

and this car is $10k, and has a bunch of stupid parts thrown at it and according to the description, has probably never been driven, but it has been in a magazine.

Rice Police #1. dont argue with me just because you are a riceboy and/or have sand in your vagina. i am superior. and i am smarter than you. end of story.
slideways... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Firewind
AF Newbie

Yeah Minnesota sells 240SX for high costs. I've been offered $4500 a lot for my once bone stock car. People come to my door and ask me if it's for sale, and I've pulled up in gas stations with it and been offered that ammount too. It's nuts. Go two states south and you'd pay like 2000 for the same car. lol
Firewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
stang805
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stang805

paid $200 for mine with a hole the size of my fist in the block, aside from that nothing really wrong with it, of course here we are like $8k and 2 years later and still only halfway there.
stang805 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX