Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
SubaruRally
AF Newbie

downshift 1st gear?

I was talking with somepeople about downshifting and someone mentioned that you are not supposed to downshift to first gear.. i usually dont downshift to first anyways but i want to know if it is bad for your car or just something they are making up?
SubaruRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d
Re: downshift 1st gear?

the gear braking is really intense in 1st. doubt thats something you'd want.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

The bigger issue is that 1st is usually much shorter than 2nd, and you have to be careful not to mechanically overrev the engine. Most auto manufacturers design their crs so that they do not go into 1st very easily unless the car is stopped or going very slowly. The actual act of downshifting into 1st isn't bad when done correctly, but can be very expensive if you get it wrong.
kfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
tr0ike
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to tr0ike
Re: Re: downshift 1st gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoote
The bigger issue is that 1st is usually much shorter than 2nd, and you have to be careful not to mechanically overrev the engine. Most auto manufacturers design their crs so that they do not go into 1st very easily unless the car is stopped or going very slowly. The actual act of downshifting into 1st isn't bad when done correctly, but can be very expensive if you get it wrong.
I discovered this when I was first learning stick ... my gearbox can be extremely difficult to shift into first, even from a complete stop sometimes .. so the excrutiating GRINDING noise from trying to pop it into first @ 40 MPH (in neutral of course, just wanted to coast) taught me better!

It is annoying when I get behind someone slow, or cruise up to a light/traffic and need to shift from 2nd to 1st, but it takes 5 seconds ..
Old 05-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
samandiar
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: downshift 1st gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0ike
I discovered this when I was first learning stick ... my gearbox can be extremely difficult to shift into first, even from a complete stop sometimes .. so the excrutiating GRINDING noise from trying to pop it into first @ 40 MPH (in neutral of course, just wanted to coast) taught me better!

It is annoying when I get behind someone slow, or cruise up to a light/traffic and need to shift from 2nd to 1st, but it takes 5 seconds ..
i feel for you, my camry is the same way
Old 05-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

in my dad's car, A Cadillac CTS (the only manual car I drive regularly), you don't even need to use 1st unless you are stopped.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
samandiar
AF Regular

my car doesnt have enough torque to pull very well in 2nd from low speeds
Old 05-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
clawhammer
AF Fanatic

Isn't part of the problem that first gear doesn't have a syncro, so you need to match the revs?

Mods:
Engine: Comptech Air Intake Box, miscellanous chrome dress up pieces
Suspension: Comptech front strut tower bar
Exterior: Grillcraft grill, lots of wax
Interior: Rick's leather console cover, Muz one-piece luxury floormats, Rick's windscreen,
Electronics/Audio: Polk speakers
Wheels/tires: 18" SSR Competition wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 tires

clawhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #9
samandiar
AF Regular

im pretty sure it has a synchro, seeing as double-clutching isnt required to downshift to it at low speeds, and it doesnt seem to help at slightly highr speeds
Old 05-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
Isn't part of the problem that first gear doesn't have a syncro, so you need to match the revs?
Some do, some don't. This varies car to car. Even in the cars that do have 1st gear synchros, it's still not easy to get it into first when the car is moving.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:28 PM   #11
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer
thats reverse
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #12
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
I was always told that first takes the most strain because of how the ratio is set up...so I was always taught only put it into 1st if your say in ice going pretty slow and need to stop quickly...

2002 Acura RSX Type-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
I have an outrageously large penis.
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
sunstreaker.ASU
AF Newbie

yeah, downshifting into first is not a really good idea. I actually had to downshift into first the first time I drove on the Nurburgring because the track was really long, my car had a stock brake set-up, and this was the second time I tracked the ring and I had to downshift into first because the guy ahead of me braked way too shallow and my brakes were virtually gone, faded and I had to resort to downshifting into first, but I was going too fast and the transmission locked up the wheels and I plowed right off the track.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
kfoote
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstreaker.ASU
yeah, downshifting into first is not a really good idea. I actually had to downshift into first the first time I drove on the Nurburgring because the track was really long, my car had a stock brake set-up, and this was the second time I tracked the ring and I had to downshift into first because the guy ahead of me braked way too shallow and my brakes were virtually gone, faded and I had to resort to downshifting into first, but I was going too fast and the transmission locked up the wheels and I plowed right off the track.

1. Downshifting into first will not lock up the wheels if you're heel-toeing as you claimed you always do in another thread here. Even if you're not heel toeing, it won't permanently lock up the wheels in a FWD/AWD car enough to "Plow right off the track". The car is obviously FWD or AWD because a RWD car would spin off track, not plow off track if the drive wheels lock up.

2. Though I have never driven the Nurburgring, with my other racing experience I am familiar enough with the track to know that there is no corner slow enough to require first gear in a car that would have a stock brake setup, Unless you're driving a heavily modded car with a non-stock transmission that is for track use only (in which case there would have been enough prep in the car to not have brake fade unless you're a complete and total idiot). The slowest corner I have ever driven on is still a 2nd gear corner, at speeds > 30 MPH in the dry and 25 MPH in the wet on tires that were not suitable for the conditions.

3. In any moderately modern car, downsifting into first to slow the car down will result in a blown engine (or at least major internal engine damage) if you're going faster than 25 MPH, and if you have brake fade and you're concerned as to whether or not you're going to make the corner, you're going faster than 25 MPH.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
sunstreaker.ASU
AF Newbie

The Wehrseifen turn at Nurburgring, you are going up hill and if you don't know the course very well, you won't brake hard enough for the blind left. It is a sharp left hand turn that requires earlier braking because you have to line up for the quick right hander that comes immediately after the blind left. I had two witnesses in the car. I was right on the tail of the guy ahead of me and believed that I could stay on the gas a bit longer coming into the turn, the guy ahead of me decided to brake early and I was so close that I freaked and stomped on the brake but he was braking much harder than I was coming into the turn and I couldn't stop fast enough so I just shifted into first without trying to match the revs. I didn't match revs cause I didn't think about it because I was so scared about plowing into him. I jammed the gear in and the engine's revs shot up and the tranny locked for a spilt second, it must have since the wheels were sqealing. When this happened, the guy ahead of me started his turn and I couldn't follow him into the turn even though I had the steering wheel turned. I just slid past the entry point of the corner mashed on the brakes and slid off the track.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique