Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Brndo
AF Newbie

Question 92 Lumina Won't Start ICM Voltage

I have a 92 Lumina with 250K mi. I let it sit all winter and now it will crank but would not start. I checked for fuel and spark and had no spark, fuel ok. Following my Haynes manual, I checked for battery voltage to the ICM with the ignition on. I only had 1.5 V. Book said If no voltage check fuses. I did anyway and had 11.5 V. Book says if reading to the ICM is below 7 V, "repair the primary circuit from the ignition switch to the ignition control module." Really? Rip out and replace all the wiring? Does anyone have any ideas?
Brndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
kevinb70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kevinb70 Send a message via Yahoo to kevinb70
Re: 92 Lumina Won't Start ICM Voltage

check both battery connections, check electrical connectors to sensors (especially the 7x crank sensor) which is easily burned by the exhaust and hidden from view, easy to overlook.

check grounds

there are two underhood fuse blocks i believe, and also passenger door fuse panel

check connections on pcm, hiding under passenger fender well i believe
kevinb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Engine cranking, take a reading across battery posts. The generic specs, says it shouldn't drop below 9.6 volts. If it drops way down, need to charge battery or replace.

Also, with key on, no crank, you can compare voltage readings across battery posts and B+ at the ignition module, I think both readings should be close to the same. Before I did anything, I'd have to check feed to and from the ignition switch. I wouldn't tear out no wiring, till I was positive about the problem??
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Thumbs up Re: 92 Lumina Won't Start ICM Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
Engine cranking, take a reading across battery posts. The generic specs, says it shouldn't drop below 9.6 volts. If it drops way down, need to charge battery or replace.

Also, with key on, no crank, you can compare voltage readings across battery posts and B+ at the ignition module, I think both readings should be close to the same. Before I did anything, I'd have to check feed to and from the ignition switch. I wouldn't tear out no wiring, till I was positive about the problem??
Agreed, 11.5 should start the car if all else is ok.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Brndo
AF Newbie

It's a new battery. It was at 11.5 V because I had been cranking on it and the car never started tocharge it. I have battery voltage at the ICM. I pulled the coil packs one at a time. The first one tested good. I'll get the others checked too. When I took the last coil pack off, what I think is the ICM (It's the part that the coil packs mount to.) just fell off. I'll see if I can get that tested too.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
jdl
AF Enthusiast

Where the coils plug into the ignition module, those are primary circuits, you can use a testlite between the two terminals, engine cranking, the lite should pulse. You may need to disable fuel injectors, when testing. As an example, I've seen on a chevy v6, the ignition module primary circuits were good for two coils, not the third one, no pulse.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Brndo
AF Newbie

I did not get a test light to pulse on on the ICM terminals so I pulled everything. The ICM and all coil packs tested good. I wonder if I missed something. What about using a meter instead of a test light? No other bad parts would cause there to be a lack of spark right? Will a bad crankshaft pos sens, camshaft pos sens, or bad PCM prevent a spark without triggering any trouble codes?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
kevinb70
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to kevinb70 Send a message via Yahoo to kevinb70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb70 View Post
check electrical connectors to sensors (especially the 7x crank sensor) which is easily burned by the exhaust and hidden from view, easy to overlook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brndo View Post
Will a bad crankshaft pos sens, camshaft pos sens, or bad PCM prevent a spark without triggering any trouble codes?
speaking from experience, yes. few years ago wires to my 7x burned on the exhaust. I was very lucky I went looking for this sensor specifically, as it's almost entirely hidden from view. i had no code, just a complete no spark condition (until you moved the wire from shorting off the block)
kevinb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
daffysmiles
AF Newbie

just thought i'd let you know

just a thought. if your car has been sitting along time you may take into consideration wiring lol. my lumina sat for over 7 months when it broke down with one problem and when i got the money to get it worked on again i found out i inherited other problems lol ( MICE chewing wires) now still trying to figure the darn thing out. hoping the mechanic fixed all the chewed up wires and didnt miss any .
daffysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Brndo
AF Newbie

I tested the crankshaft position sensor and got infinite resistance. I think that is what is bad. I which I would have tested those leads sooner but at least I know the ICM and the coil packs are good.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; ADR6200 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
icm , lumina , start , voltage , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina