Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > SLK
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
ninja650R
AF Newbie

2006 slk350 - oil & filter change question

Okay - my first questions. Probably simple, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking something obvious.

I've always (well for ~ 45 years anyway) done my own light maintenance on every vehicle that I've owned (cars/trucks/motorcycles, etc), but I've never owned a Mercedes, so there might be some caveats that I don't know about that could possibly void any warranties.

I just bought it and want to change the oil & filter. Does anyone know anything about this that could cause me issues? Recommendations? Any special 'rules' to ensure that the warranty remains intact?

TIA
ninja650R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
eclass
AF Regular

Re: 2006 slk350 - oil & filter change question

factory oil filter only, factory oil that meets 229.5 mb spec. or just have the dealer do it, i stopped changing my oil a long time ago. It is just not worth the trouble.
eclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #3
ninja650R
AF Newbie

I think after reading the manual, I'm going to just let the dealership do this service. It indicates that "Service B" is due in 12K miles (it has 20K on it now). I was just a little uneasy since I just bought the car, since I usually change the oil/filter immediately whenever I buy a used car. I can just stick to servicing my other vehicles, since I like to do that sort of thing.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
vectortech
AF Newbie

So- did you tackle it your self?
If you took it to a shop, how much did they charge?
Just curious.
Slk's are really fun little cars!
Changing the oil isnt too hard at all. Biggest issue is having the proper filter tool. Removing the lower engine covers are kinda a pain . Also- you have to have the oil cap very clean before you put it back on. The timing chain is right under it and slings oil up against the bottem of it. I have seen a couple leak right after an oil change because of this.
Dont be skeared!!
vectortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
ninja650R
AF Newbie

Actually I haven't done either yet, but have decided to take it somewhere to have it done. I have plenty of tools since I grew up around mechanics, so I probably have almost anything that I could possibly need to do the job myself. I'll let them do a couple and then I'll probably start thinking about doing it myself again.

Here's what is odd about this: My command center (I think you call it that) indicates that "Service B" is scheduled in ~ 11,000 more miles. From people I've spoken to, that's really not much more than oil/filter change and checking a few things (fluids, etc). I plan to take it to the shop pretty soon though, and let them check it all out, and go ahead with Service B if they think it needs it now. I can resume the remaining schedules after knowing that it's all checked out.

Actually I really like to do all this stuff myself, having grown up doing it. Right now I'll just stick to maintaining my bike I guess. I even change my own tires on that thing. That's just me though.

But I'll let you know as soon as I can get this done. Maybe in a couple of weeks. SOmeone told me about a certified repair shop that only works on BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche that'll do the Service B for ~ $180 - so I'm going to check them out first. The dealership wants ~ $250 I think. I have to check all those numbers though.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
eclass
AF Regular

If you look at the service information- for the most part it is an oil change and maybe a dust filter replacement. When I have the dealer do the work I have them do a oil and filter NOT a service B or A. Have them get you a copy of the service sheet so you know what you would be paying for at the dealer or at the independent shop.
eclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
vectortech
AF Newbie

Well, If you are going to do it, invest in one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...QQcmdZViewItem
You have to use it- PLEASE dont use a pair of channel locks or any thing of the sort! You will jack up the filter housing.
This little beauty does the job nicely-
Also, only torque it to 25 Nm .
Good luck!
vectortech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
filter , oil
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > SLK