Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25
Recap of the English F1 fleet - Take 2...

It seemed the best idea for the English fleet thread was to do the same thing I did last year with the Japan fleet. Start fresh with a new one and close the original thread - in fact this is long overdue.

I'd spoken with Chris (mini magic) about doing this many months ago since he was the originator of the first English fleet thread and I didn't want to step on his toes. We both agreed it was the correct course of action and that whomever got to it first would do it. I back-burnered it and I know he has been very busy, but I finally decided yesterday (after some gentle prodding from our newest contributor ) that it really did need to be done now.

So here we go - to the best of my knowledge with help from here, there and everywhere...

XP3 - Gordon Murray

The earliest surviving McLaren F1. Refreshed and given to Gordon at the completion of F1 production. The last remaining F1 with prototype front indicators.

= = =

XP5 - McLaren Cars

Rumors of a sale were greatly exaggerated. Set the F1s speed record in 1998 after being used as the marketing and demonstration car from almost the beginning.

= = =

020 - Tony Smith

Original owner - had the HDF Kit fitted in ~2003. This car is almost certainly the mileage leader for production F1s.

= = =

025 - Dhani Harrison

Car originally belonged to his father, George Harrison. Was painted to match the color of a portion of Dhani's custom painted racing helmet. The car features the Buddhist "Aum" symbol on the centers of the wheel nuts, and also ghosted into the clearcoat of the paint along with other unique touches.

= = =

040 - Flemke

Originally in Germany with its first two owners. This was the first 'high mirrored' F1. Came to the UK in the early part of the last decade and was resprayed from silver. The car completed a refit in mid-2011.

= = =

043 - Owner's name withheld

<-- File Photo from Japan

Originally owned by Motokazu Sayama in Japan - the owner of the Le Mans winning F1 GTR's title sponsor "Ueno Clinic". He had his road car painted to match the Le Mans winner. Came to the UK in 2011.

= = =

046 - Clive Joy

Originally belonged to racer Ray Bellm and was painted Genesis Blue Metallic. Has had several owners, always remaining in the UK to my knowledge. This car has seen a fair bit of use and the new owner has apparently set a goal of being the first to reach 100,000 miles in a production F1. Good on him!

= = =

050 - Ron Dennis

Very lightly used up until 2010. Was the second F1 built with high mirrors.

= = =

059 - John Studholme

This car has a very unique set of headlamps that really alter the look of the nose of the car. High Downforce Kit was fitted in the latter part of the 1990s. Has a GT-spec interior.

= = =

061 - Rowan Atkinson

Original owner. An accident in 2011 caused extensive damage. Hopefully McLaren will restore it to how it was in these photos soon.

= = =

069 - Aaron Hsu

Car was originally in the UK then spent years being held by US customs after some importation problems. Eventually it was released and returned to the UK. Formerly wore the HDF Kit which was removed in 2009. Has an LM-spec interior.

= = =

XP1 LM - McLaren Cars

The LM prototype - promised to Lewis Hamilton if he can win 3 F1 Driver's Championships for McLaren.

= = =

56XPGT - McLaren Cars

The GT prototype - missing in action from 2004 until 2010 when it appeared at the MTC owner's gathering. This car is still in McLaren's private collection.

= = = = = =

F1 GTRs:

01R - McLaren Cars

1995 24Hrs of Le Mans winner.

= = =

02R - Owner unknown - road converted

Hidden away somewhere in the UK and has not really been seen since 1998.

= = =

04R - McLaren Cars

Replaced GTR #14R for the last race of the 1996 JGTC season. Now part of McLaren's private collection.

= = =

06R - David Clark - road converted

= = =

07R - Andrew Pisker - road converted

= = =

10R - Nick Mason - road converted

The 1996 development GTR. Owned by Nick Mason for more than a decade after having the factory convert it for road use. Reappeared wearing it's original Presentation Livery in mid-2009.

= = =

12R - Aaron Hsu - road converted

= = =

13R - Andy - road converted

= = =

14R - Adrian Newey - road converted

This GTR had a longtime owner who was also in the UK. Adrian purchased the car from him in early 2011 making him probably the only McLaren F1 owner who might not be extended an open invitation to the MTC.

= = =

16R - Mark Beeston - road converted

= = =

19R - Owner's name withheld

Last seen in LARK livery while in the USA, this GTR left there for the UK in June 2009. Its second UK owner has undertaken an ambitious plan to fully rebuild and restore the car to its original Presentation livery as pictured above.

= = =

20R - McLaren Cars

= = =

22R - Roald Goethe

= = =

24R - Paul Knapfield (EMKA livery)

= = =

27R - Owner's name withheld

= = = = = =

No longer in the UK:

Clinic Model

Last seen in the Beaulieu National Motor Museum painted yellow in the late 1990s. According to GM the Clinic Model was eventually crushed.

= = =

003 - Ron Dennis

Used for some of the early marketing and press work. Sold to Japan in 1996.

= = =

007 - Chris Palmer

Originally owned by a member of the Saudi Royal Family but kept in storage at McLaren. Auctioned in 1998 through Bonhams for Ģ380,000 - perhaps the lowest selling price ever for an F1. Left the UK for the USA around April 2001.

= = =

011 - Owner unknown

Auctioned through Christies in the UK in 2003. Went to USA.

= = =

015 - Owner unknown

Appeared at the London Motorshow - year unknown.

= = =

017 - David Morrison

Destroyed in an accident in 1999 while being driven by Christopher Dawes. He and his two passengers did not survive.

= = =

023 - Paul Stewart

Originally in Japan and painted British Racing Green. The car came to the UK and was owned by Liam Howlett who had it redone in silver and then had the Downforce Kit fitted. Car was sold to Paul Stewart and may have had another owner in between before selling again to South Africa in 2009.

= = =

024 - Paul Burdell

Sold to Jim Clark in the USA in early 2002.

= = =

028 - Michael Andretti

Part of Andretti's compensation package from McLaren for the 1993 Formula One season was a McLaren F1 road car and #028 was built to fulfill that obligation. Andretti left the car in the UK for approximately one year after it was finished and with no means to bring it back to the USA at the time the car was eventually sold to a Japanese owner.

= = =

039 - Ron Dennis

<-- File photo from Mexico

Built for Ron Dennis, but the story goes that the results weren't quite what he had hoped for. I've been told the car had one other owner briefly in the UK before it went to Mexico.

= = =

044 - Owner unknown

<-- File Photos

Owned in the UK before coming to the USA in 1997.

= = =

065 - McLaren Cars

Honorable mention here as it was the Park Lane showroom car for roughly 6 years. Finally sold by the factory in 2004 to Singapore. Then it returned briefly to London for the RM auction in 2008 where it set the record price of Ģ2.5M when purchased by its new US owner.

= = =

068 - Owner unknown

<-- File photo from USA

Briefly in the UK from August 2010 until early 2011. Returned to California or possibly Mexico. Had also been in the UK for at least a brief period of time prior to November 1999.

= = =

073 - Owner unknown

Auctioned by Christies in December 2003 where it was sold to its current US owner.

= = =

LM3 - David Morrison

= = =

As you can probably tell this was started as just a rough draft More photos and descriptions will follow shortly to give the look and feel of the other fleet threads, but I did want to get things moving in the right direction for us. If you see any mistakes or adjustments that are needed please do offer an assist. I am especially bad with UK geography so if any of that info could be compiled that would be great. I could never do this alone of course.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 09-24-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peloton25 For This Useful Post:
bucciali (09-12-2011), cabrio92 (09-10-2011), hurstg01 (09-10-2011), mclarenman (09-11-2011), Nicob (09-11-2011), Paulthagerous (09-11-2011), Sami Aaltonen (09-10-2011), teflon (09-12-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Le Man
AF Enthusiast

Re: Recap of the English F1 fleet - Take 2...

A most welcome update

Please add.

05R,

#046,

21R, is kept in the UK, but then again I could be wrong on this.

25R or 28R, Last I heard was either of these two GTR,s was on its way to the UK.
Le Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Le Man For This Useful Post:
Peloton25 (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Duh on #046 - thanks.

I'm not sure #05R will be a UK car - I think Monaco might be more correct once it is completed?

#21R is owned by a German so I'd prefer to consider it a European car but am open to everyone else's ideas?

If it is #25R instead that's wonderful news as I don't think that one has been seen anywhere since late 2006. GTR #28R still appears on the BingoSports website for sale, so I suspect it isn't that one. They do seem to stay on top of their inventory management and website.

>8^)
ER
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Unsure of #25R or #28R, but between the 2 of you you've added all I can think of
Old 09-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
cabrio92
www.McLF1.com

Send a message via MSN to cabrio92

Waouh Erik ! what a topic again !

#043 in UK. You confirm #02R street legal. I would like to have the plate.

Phil
Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen

Erik:

Thanks.

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrio92 View Post
You confirm #02R street legal. I would like to have the plate.
...and I would like to have seen the car once since 1998 except for this one small photo.

In an email inquiry I sent regarding that photo, I was told that the picture was taken "with no wing after we had converted it to road legal cats". To validate the source of that information I can tell you that he is pictured in this photo:

I didn't get anymore info than that on #02R, but can not imagine adding catalytic convertors to a GTR for any other reason than to convert it for road use.

>8^)
ER
The Following User Says Thank You to Peloton25 For This Useful Post:
Sami Aaltonen (09-10-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
mini magic
AF Enthusiast

Last i heard it was stored in a warehouse outside of London. My contact stores his cars elsewhere now though so not sure if its still there
mini magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
PatrickT82
AF Enthusiast

what did I miss about 05R?

edit: never mind; I confused it with Nick Mason's car
PatrickT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Working on photos now from those I already had hosted. Then I'll fill in the blanks.

I've added the Clinic Model and #065 as honorable mentions for ones that are no longer in the UK.

Also had forgotten to include LM3.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 09-10-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
F1GTRUeno
AF Regular

I've only just read that #19R is going back to it's original presentation livery.

Excellent news.
F1GTRUeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

The funny story related to that is the car's current owner emailed me about two weeks ago. He didn't identify himself at first but his note did include a couple of questions, including one about 19R's Presentation livery. It didn't even cross my mind he might be the owner.

In my second reply where I shared the scans of 19R from Auto, Motor & Sport I closed out my note to him by sharing with him the exciting news about the current owner's plans to restore the livery, and the strong possibility that it would participate in next year's Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Yup... you read that right. I told the owner of the car what he was doing with it and suggested that he should definitely try to attend the FOS so he could see it.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 10-02-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Adonai
AF Newbie

only two pics about the George Harrison car?? I remember that I saw some more, but I canīt find, someone can repost?? thank
Adonai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonai View Post
only two pics about the George Harrison car?? I remember that I saw some more, but I canīt find, someone can repost?? thank
The first post is stiill very much a work in progress. I took a break this afternoon to go spin some miles on my bicycle. As stated above I was just including the stuff I already had hosted first and I am not quite finished sifting through that yet either.

The images included so far of #025 are the two 'best' photos I have. There's one more that is decent but a former employee of Lanzante Motorsports is in the driver's seat and it doesn't show much with poor lighting and a dark interior. There were two other images I was going to add in; I just haven't gotten to that point yet. If you think you have some stuff we have not seen of this car that would be wonderful!

>8^)
ER
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
dbsf1
AF Regular

56XPGT....
Theres no 'we think' noted along with it - does this mean there's been some more info suggesting it probably still is there?
Thanks!
dbsf1 is offline   Reply With Quote