Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
1999windstar
AF Newbie

2006 lacrosse transmission fluid type

2006 3.8 lacrosse cx 146000 miles. I changed the transmission fluid at 100000 miles. I used type VI thats what the owners manual says and alldata says the same. I changed the fluid today at 146000 miles, I noticed on the dip stick it says to use Dexron type III fluid. Have I been putting in the wrong fluid?

The reason I changed fluid is I have noticed it slipping after slowing down then starting to move again its like its not in gear for just a little bit I checked the fluid leve and it was ok. Any thoughts?
1999windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 lacrosse transmission fluid type

Dextron VI was first used in 2006....not sure if all vehicles got this at the same time......

Your dipstick saying III, means one of two things....either your vehicle came with Dextron III because the vehicle was not one of the first to have the new fluid, or the vehicle was assembled with a new tranny, but it could be a surplus tranny from 2005......the other possibility is, the wrong dipstick, but I doubt that.....

In either case, Dextron VI is what you should be using.....

As for the slip, the only way to know for sure is have the PCM scanned for tranny codes(not all codes immediately turn the CE light on), or have a road test done with a scanner reading slip rpms(should not exceed 25-50).....for example, some codes will have to fail on two consecutive drive cycles....so if it fails on one, and the next drive cycles either it doesn't fail or doesn't run, the counter starts all over again, where you have to fail twice in a row to turn the light on.....while the light might not be on, a code will be set in history....so if you think you have a problem, have it scanned for codes....Places like Autozone do it for free.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
1999windstar
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply.

I was worried that I may have been using the wrong fluid. When I changed the fluid there was just a small film of gray in the pan and on magnet. Is that normal? I will get the codes checked.
1999windstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

As Tech II said, continue the Dex VI. This fluid back dates, meaning that even if your trans required III, VI would be compatible. However, you CANNOT use Dex III in a trans that requires Dex VI...
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Yeah, that's normal.....you just don't want burnt fluid or metal in the pan....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LaCrosse/Allure